IGNORED

AWOL Posters

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The @havanatopia thread bought about the topic of posters who haven't posted for a while..

Didn't want to discuss this on the thread as it should be primarily for tributes to Havanatopia. It did get me thinking however..

What posters are there that used to be regulars that appear to have just stopped posting?

Off the top of my head I can think of Cynic (appears the account no longer exists), @edson, @Esmond Million's Bung, @Aizoon, @WhistleHappy, Red Goblin(?), @badger08/@jesus @BobBobSuperBob and @reddogkev.

I am sure there are plenty more - any I'm missing?

I’m glad you started this thread, because I’ve been wondering the same myself. I’ve read this forum for ages and ages (only started posting in 2015) and I remember some of the names far back like Godzilla and edson. Also posters like Aizoon and Septic Peg who were prolific and haven’t posted for a while. And of course posters like havanatopia and others who are sorely missed and now watching City and reading this forum from a different vantage point. 

Forums are funny places. By their nature, we know each other’s usernames and opinions, and exchange views/banter, but mostly haven’t got a clue what’s going on in each other’s lives. 

But posters who disappear form the forum for whatever reason are always missed. 

21 minutes ago, Offside said:

I’m glad you started this thread, because I’ve been wondering the same myself. I’ve read this forum for ages and ages (only started posting in 2015) and I remember some of the names far back like Godzilla and edson. Also posters like Aizoon and Septic Peg who were prolific and haven’t posted for a while. And of course posters like havanatopia and others who are sorely missed and now watching City and reading this forum from a different vantage point. 

Forums are funny places. By their nature, we know each other’s usernames and opinions, and exchange views/banter, but mostly haven’t got a clue what’s going on in each other’s lives. 

But posters who disappear form the forum for whatever reason are always missed. 

Yes it’s a nice community on here. I’ve been a regular poster on here for over 10 years now and had about 6 months ‘off’ posting during a particularly busy period in my life about 3 years ago.

I signed in to find 3/4 PMs from other posters checking in and seeing if I was ok. Only a small thing but I thought that was really nice, I know none of these people in real life.. think I’ve only met 1.. but people took time out to send me a message despite not knowing me. 

The @havanatopia thread shows OTIB at it’s best. Some really thoughtful posts on there.

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Going back when I first came on here, @Brizzle Jordan was a pretty frequent poster but I haven’t seen them on here for years!

@ExecutedWolf

@Jordan Tansley

ExecutedWolf is still on here under a different username I believe.

He recently got back in touch with me for the first time in a couple of years and hoping to catch up with him at a game soon.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, the politics forum is poison imo, posters fall out on there and bad feeling continues over on the football forum.

Best to fight off the temptation to post on there at all costs!!

I don't that's unique to OTIB, I used to post on a cycling forum and whenever that strayed into politics (especially certain topics), it was toxic.

There's no reasoned debate any more, it's all so adversarial and black and white.

I blame Thatcher.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Martyn was my brother - good to see people remember him. Would have had much to say about the current situation! Sadly just missed out on the Cotts era which he would have loved.

As an investigative journalist he was good at asking the innocent question that sparks a reaction - one such question was his legacy to this forum...one of the more classic threads - 'Supporters Club v Gary Johnson' ?

One of the few, myself excluded, with the balls to use their own name.

And this was despite being a somewhat higher than average public profile.

He was a great poster.

Won't name who, but one of the prolific ex-posters mentioned stopped contributing because they got fed up with the nonsense spouted on here. Weaned himself off reading the forum too. Hasn't been to a game for years.

Wise man: my first novel (or first million, can't remember which) has been badly held up by the hours, days, weeks wasted on here!!!

2 hours ago, Elmore James said:

Going further back, to 2001, I wonder how many of these posters are around today.

otib-2001.jpg

Those were the days. I must have been 12 when I started using this forum under my old name and I had a weird obsession with Simon Clist around then. (Not Sarah B weird mind) I always felt Godzilla's posts were decent. 

Hope Tommy is alright. I know he got a lot of flack but I liked his strange ramblings. 

Going further back, to 2001, I wonder how many of these posters are around today.

otib-2001.jpg

otib-2001.jpg

(Forum went a bit weird some things never change.)

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Taxi For Rennie or whatever their most recent name was?

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/profile/9551--/

@bristolcitysweden has not posted for months.

@Up The City! also nothing for a while.

@Vincent Vega also nothing for some time?

If I recall correctly, Up The City stopped after a thread on the non-football forum where she was discussing a relationship in Ireland. It got pretty deep and I *think* the thread and relationship didn’t go great for her (prepared to be wrong). I remember the thread because although I know it can be therapeutic to share, it seemed to go over where I’d expect an open forum discussion to go.

As for Tommy, I hope he’s posting random Swedish (music) videos somewhere. Total city fan and I don’t think he ever meant badly but did suffer a bit of abuse purely because of the spamming level and posting style - which invariably got more random as Friday nights progressed…

4 minutes ago, Rebounder said:

Those were the days. I must have been 12 when I started using this forum under my old name and I had a weird obsession with Simon Clist around then. (Not Sarah B weird mind) I always felt Godzilla's posts were decent. 

Were you "Clisty's Baby"?

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Going back when I first came on here, @Brizzle Jordan was a pretty frequent poster but I haven’t seen them on here for years!

@ExecutedWolf

@Jordan Tansley

Yeah I remember both Jordan’s and enjoyed their contributions on here when I first joined. @Brizzle Jordan seemed to go years ago. Not sure when Tiger Tansley last posted.

@TRL went awol for a while and enjoyed his posts also back in the day.

Special mention for @The Jock as well. He was great ?

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Were you "Clisty's Baby"?

No ? I just thought he was a good player and remember starting a thread on the Steve L section when he was transfer listed which was obviously stupid. I don't actually remember if my name has Clist in back then.  

Weird seeing that site. Reminds me of going over to my mates reading the forum and then playing football manager. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

@reddogkevis a good blast from the past. Often didn’t agree with him, but seemed a decent bloke. 

He was so positive about everything that he could’ve convinced a few that the cruise on the Titanic was good value. 

Yeah his posts were pretty wacky - I was convinced he was on an elaborate long game wind up but seemingly not !

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@bristolcitysweden has not posted for months.

A personal favourite of mine - genuinely used to find him pretty funny

1 hour ago, Tully Bascomb said:

it's a shame you can no longer see name changes, but on second thoughts it's probably for the best ?

I’ve always wondered why people would change their name unless they done something heinous (by forum standards I mean)!  I think knowing who you’re speaking to and their thoughts on different areas in debates really helps and if people keep changing it makes it difficult. You guess right sometimes but also may have ideas about who new names are and be completely off the mark.  

Archived