IGNORED

AWOL Posters

Phileas Fogg

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the politics forum is a pretty unforgiving place though. You need to really know your stuff (irrespective of persuasion) or there are several on there (myself and yourself included) who will pull you up. Unlike on a football forum where an opinion like “Wells is crap” can be debated, stuff like us having Covid death rates etc are purely factual and when people take the contrary, it becomes a rapidly undefendable position.

I can see why people avoid it. I enjoy it, but that’s because I’m passionate about the subject and read a lot on it. For those with only a passing interest or a totally blinkered opinion irrespective of facts, I can see why it’s better avoided. It’s not nasty, you just really need to know your shit on there.

I enjoy the politics forum, it’s healthy to have access to a broad range of opinions across the political spectrum. And we certainly have that in abundance. Bit like Twitter, never always follow people you know you agree with, read and try to understand opinions you wouldn’t otherwise be subjected to and you’ll be better off for it. An echo chamber of likeminded people is pointless. 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Remember when Michael Mcindoe started posting on here- does anyone recall why he was and if it really was him?

Pfft, I remember back in the day Tinman posted during the P***s era, begging the fans to stick with the players. A few questioned him to verify it really WAS him, and it was...real insight, bet he got in a LOT of trouble.

10 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

As Tom said, there is, but I haven’t got an ordinary member account to log in as, so can’t tell if it’s an admin setting, have a look at someone who has changed their name and see if you can see the arrow I have circled in this screenshot.

F4DD30FD-EAEA-4A65-B3ED-F3DEDD4F07C8.jpeg

So....did you used to be @Lanterne Rouge? I always wondered if that was a cycling thing

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

I enjoy the politics forum, it’s healthy to have access to a broad range of opinions across the political spectrum. And we certainly have that in abundance. Bit like Twitter, never always follow people you know you agree with, read and try to understand opinions you wouldn’t otherwise be subjected to and you’ll be better off for it. An echo chamber of likeminded people is pointless. 

I've just recently strayed in there, and I find some of the more extreme views a little scary. The problem is, like Twitter, it's very hard to express yourself unless you have real grasp of the written word - which isn't that common (I should know). So often people post something that sounds awful, possibly in person they'd be far more nuanced.

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I've just recently strayed in there, and I find some of the more extreme views a little scary. The problem is, like Twitter, it's very hard to express yourself unless you have real grasp of the written word - which isn't that common (I should know). So often people post something that sounds awful, possibly in person they'd be far more nuanced.

Yes, that’s the challenge with a text forum. The emphasis and expression is dependent on the reader’s interpretation not the writer’s intent.

I remember a few of the older members and there was one called Percy Parrot I think, and one who was amazing at remembering stats called Beano I think.

There was one called Yes Sir who relayed us some inside info now and again and was a relation of the Johnson's I believe.

52 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Yep. I think you'd be surprised quite how extreme some of the stuff posted there has been over the years too so some posters (and I'm guilty of this!) can be a bit quick to jump on what appears to be an extreme view as a result.

Overall I think it's a decent place and the stick it gets is unfair. It's often from people who post something provocative or poorly thought out then get annoyed when people respond to counter it, or ask them to explain/back it up in my experience.

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I wonder why Lee Miller's mum doesn't post anymore? Or Matt Hewlett.

Wasn’t the Matt Hewlett on here a different one to the player….and the same one who acted like a bit of a knob on other social media platforms if you dared disagree with him?  Thought he was ITK….but wasn’t?

13 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I remember a few of the older members and there was one called Percy Parrot I think, and one who was amazing at remembering stats called Beano I think.

There was one called Yes Sir who relayed us some inside info now and again and was a relation of the Johnson's I believe.

PP still works for the club or AG Ltd I think.

Yessir was the other Johnson brother 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t the Matt Hewlett on here a different one to the player….and the same one who acted like a bit of a knob on other social media platforms if you dared disagree with him?  Thought he was ITK….but wasn’t?

Was he a self confessed sports nut ? 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, pretty sure it wasn’t the Matt Hewlett with the nice hair and token England U21 call up.

With Lee Miller, I don’t recall his mum posting but I do recall his best mate doing so - Whitey 03 or something? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

So....did you used to be @Lanterne Rouge? I always wondered if that was a cycling thing

No, I just used that account as an example of someone who has changed their username.

I had one name change since I joined OTIB that was in 2006 (the name change, joined before that)

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I have missed Mihah I think his name was. The level headed gas fan that used to visit the Basement Rovers thread. He was having quite a few problems workwise during covid.

There was another likeable, self deprecating sag, who seems to have disappeared. (Can't remember his monicker, but it was some gas player from years back)

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeh I know him and he’s mates with city fan mates I used to play football with. Don’t know him well enough to comment about him though 

10 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

There was another likeable, self deprecating sag, who seems to have disappeared. (Can't remember his monicker, but it was some gas player from years back)

@bert tann ? Always enjoyed his cryptic posts. Whether they were 100% truthful or not is another matter but always a good read! 

Archived