IGNORED

AWOL Posters

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be interesting to hear the story behind people's choice of username... especially the non-Bristol City related ones

Signed up on here many years ago, originally as Tazman, as I had a Taz sat on my desk. Changed it a few years later to Taz because whenever I tried to log in, it would get changed to Taxman and it kept annoying me!!

Used to sign the high scores tables as Taz on the arcade/console games as well. Probably wouldn't even get onto them nowadays ?.

Also, this could probably do with it's own thread...

There was a great thread a few years ago, where we were encouraged to give a basic biog of ourselves.  I think the thread was in memory of a recently departed and much loved otiber.

Dollymarie would remember as I mentioned the thread somewhere else and she kindly posted the link.

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Signed up on here many years ago, originally as Tazman, as I had a Taz sat on my desk. Changed it a few years later to Taz because whenever I tried to log in, it would get changed to Taxman and it kept annoying me!!

Used to sign the high scores tables as Taz on the arcade/console games as well. Probably wouldn't even get onto them nowadays ?.

Also, this could probably do with it's own thread...

Yeah worthy of its own thread imo. Originally was for talking about missing posters.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be interesting to hear the story behind people's choice of username... especially the non-Bristol City related ones

Abbreviated mine from the old net centre day  Was Tinnions_Right_Leg  in reference to my footballing ability

6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

There was a great thread a few years ago, where we were encouraged to give a basic biog of ourselves.  I think the thread was in memory of a recently departed and much loved otiber.

Dollymarie would remember as I mentioned the thread somewhere else and she kindly posted the link.

I remember that thread. I'm pretty certain it was when Bucks Red passed on.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think it was lots of people but there were several who really took against him and very openly constantly tried to rile him.

Over 27k 'likes' in 19k posts would probably make him the most popular (at least, most agreed with) poster ever on here.

Hope Bob's just taking a break, OTIB is much the poorer for his absence.

From memory there were more than a few who were getting stuck in on certain occasions and then crying foul when he dared stand up for himself! Like you I very much hope he makes a return at some point. Shared a few PMs and he is a sound bloke. 

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ah but is Wells crap because he’s playing in a position that he’s fundamentally unsuited for and was always going to fail at? Or is he actually crap and it wouldn’t matter if we played him centrally? You can debate that.

Whereas on politics you might say that Johnson is crap because he’s in a position he’s fundamentally unsuited for and was always going to fail at. That’s not debatable (here!!!) ?

Funnily enough, 'Johnson is crap' is something you come across quite often on both forums!

48 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

55 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think it was lots of people but there were several who really took against him and very openly constantly tried to rile him.

Over 27k 'likes' in 19k posts would probably make him the most popular (at least, most agreed with) poster ever on here.

I've chatted to him on PM now and again when he was here, seemed a good guy and obviously knows his stuff. By his own admission he knows he overstepped the mark sometimes in debates though.

You are right in that people did try and rile him up deliberately, however he would also take things a bit too far. I think he was a bit guilty of getting overly emotionally invested in the debates and that came out fairly often.

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

First post on that thread (which obviously passed me by at the time) @BigTone my better half used to work at the Crown Estate 10 years or so ago. Always sounds like an amazing place to work - very interesting.  She gets bored of my questions about the various estates and workings of them to this day! 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I haven’t spoken to him since the end of the season, but pretty sure I’ve heard him call / message Geoff 20Man this season.  He has had a rough time, think both his parents passed away in a short space of time.

I met Bob at AG before the Villa game a few seasons ago….probably one of the most insightful football conversations I’ve had with a football fan.  Bob has a rich football background working with some very big names in the pro game of years gone by…one of them an England manager of more recent times.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I haven’t spoken to him since the end of the season, but pretty sure I’ve heard him call / message Geoff 20Man this season.  He has had a rough time, think both his parents passed away in a short space of time.

I met Bob at AG before the Villa game a few seasons ago….probably one of the most insightful football conversations I’ve had with a football fan.  Bob has a rich football background working with some very big names in the pro game of years gone by…one of them an England manager of more recent times.

'steve' from Brislington

I went to football with BBSB including England away back in the 80s/90s. Takes no prisoners and as stated knows his football. This forum is pretty boring nowadays without him. There were a few ***** on here who thought they knew football better than him and he took a dislike to them.
Offered a few out but none of them took him up on his kind offer.

Shame he has left really because he is a knowledgable guy. Passionate City fan.

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I'm an alligator
I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm a space invader
I'll be a rock-'n'-rolling bitch for you
Keep your mouth shut
You're squawking like a pink monkey bird
And I'm busting up my brains for the words

And also the name of the horse that won the Grand National in the year that I was born.

I’ve always thought it was “I’m a mother f***** coming for you. Doh! 
I spent an evening listening to covers of that song, had to stop when I got the 50th version 

3 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

I miss @Esmond Million's Bung on the politics section. He/ she never took any prisoners.

No posts for over 2 years so hope he/she is well

I was in occasional contact with him for a while, we both lived in France and his family were from south Devon where I am now.

I can’t find his email address or I’d try contacting him, Dave I’m pretty sure his name is from memory 

14 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

I went to football with BBSB including England away back in the 80s/90s. Takes no prisoners and as stated knows his football. This forum is pretty boring nowadays without him. There were a few ***** on here who thought they knew football better than him and he took a dislike to them.
Offered a few out but none of them took him up on his kind offer.

And that was the crux of the issue. It's just a football forum about Bristol City, getting angry and emotionally invested to the point of 'offering a few out' isn't appropriate. As mentioned though some clearly tried to provoke him when they realised he could be wound up.

As you've said, he clearly has genuine football knowledge so it's a shame he's taken a break. When we've spoken on PM he's seemed a good guy really who's had a tough time last couple of years.

44 minutes ago, lenred said:

First post on that thread (which obviously passed me by at the time) @BigTone my better half used to work at the Crown Estate 10 years or so ago. Always sounds like an amazing place to work - very interesting.  She gets bored of my questions about the various estates and workings of them to this day! 

I was there as QS on renovation & refurb works to their offices.

Archived