IGNORED

England Squad

The Bard

Just seen this.  Not hugely surprising, but the omission of Chilwell leaps out at me.    Shaw had a brilliant tournament and surpassed what I ever expected to see from him.  Fair play, but there are 3 qualifiers and you would expect Shaw to play in 2 and his cover in the other.  Leaving out the other World class left back we have seems bizarre.  

Something definitely happened during the euros that got missed as we were doing so well.  Chilwell played a blinder in the Champions League final.  He's not played a minute since.  Weird

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Just seen this.  Not hugely surprising, but the omission of Chilwell leaps out at me.    Shaw had a brilliant tournament and surpassed what I ever expected to see from him.  Fair play, but there are 3 qualifiers and you would expect Shaw to play in 2 and his cover in the other.  Leaving out the other World class left back we have seems bizarre.  

Something definitely happened during the euros that got missed as we were doing so well.  Chilwell played a blinder in the Champions League final.  He's not played a minute since.  Weird

Like Grealish and Alexander-Arnold, he doesn’t really rate him.

6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Like Grealish and Alexander-Arnold, he doesn’t really rate him.

Not rating those 3 is mental if true

If he carries on down this road and continues not to rate any more world class players it will only end one way which would be a pity.

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If he carries on down this road and continues not to rate any more world class players it will only end one way which would be a pity.

Blew it in this years final in my eyes, preferred to play three defensive midfielders and leave Grealish & Foden on the bench, more concerned about not losing than trying to win, also had a hand-picked route in the last World Cup but blew it in the semis, Pep’s the man when he leaves Man City in 2023

23 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Bamford deservedly included.

Harsh on Greenwood I think.

We were crying out for Bamford at the Euros to come on for an unfit, out of form Kane for half an hour. Very intelligent bloke who learnt his trade on loan, similar to Kane. Definitely deserves his place 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Blew it in this years final in my eyes, preferred to play three defensive midfielders and leave Grealish & Foden on the bench, more concerned about not losing than trying to win, also had a hand-picked route in the last World Cup but blew it in the semis, Pep’s the man when he leaves Man City in 2023

I agree with everything you've said, but Foden wasn't available for the final, he had a foot injury.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Bamford deservedly included.

Harsh on Greenwood I think.

If you expect Kane to start every game , I would have had Greenwood all day long. If you need someone to take Kane's place and work hard for the team, Bamford is a decent option.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Not sure it's 'don't rate them'. I think he likes to set up the team a certain way, and place players with certain qualities in that team

He is a cautious manager, maybe cost him in games. Don't think he's going to change any time soon though .

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I’m not sure it will though? He’s there as long as he wants I feel. He also ticks all the other FA boxes. I still have doubts over him, for as well as he’s done.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

He did blow it in the final. Foden was injured though. Southgate showed a lack of leadership in the final and made some costly decisions. I actually couldn’t argue with the starting line up as such but his decisions or lack of cost us.
My main gripe was that it appeared we learnt nothing from the Croatia SF. Similar to the Italy game, 1-0 up and didn’t react. In the final Italy didn’t equalise until the 70th minute and only then he reacted. It was crying out for a change before. Southgate has done well for us no doubt, but I feel he got it wrong when it mattered in that final.

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Pep!? Absolutely mental shout that. International football jobs are not regarded with prestige that's why they attract the likes of McClaren, Alledyce, southgate and the likes.

We'd be lucky to attract even managers like Lampard or Howe. 

Southgate gets a lot of stick for playing defensive but we might not have even made the final if we were more gung ho. He understands what it takes to progress in tournament football, he was a peno shootout away from immortality. Fine margins.

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Pep!? Absolutely mental shout that. International football jobs are not regarded with prestige that's why they attract the likes of McClaren, Alledyce, southgate and the likes.

We'd be lucky to attract even managers like Lampard or Howe. 

Southgate gets a lot of stick for playing defensive but we might not have even made the final if we were more gung ho. He understands what it takes to progress in tournament football, he was a peno shootout away from immortality. Fine margins.

Pep has stated today that he wants to manage an international team when he leaves Man City in two years time so why shouldn’t it be England? The FA should be sending out sound bites already or would you rather stick with this or some other useless English dinosaur of a manager who have never won anything in their life 

5 hours ago, The Bard said:

Has to be more to it than “doesn’t rate them”. Bad attitudes? Don’t do as is asked in training? 

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I reckon GS likes "good boys". Anyone with a bit of an edge scares him a bit IMHO, which is holding England back.

Possible, I think foden kinda fits that edgy profile too. I’d like to think it’s more than that though, I like Gareth.

14 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Has to be more to it than “doesn’t rate them”. Bad attitudes? Don’t do as is asked in training? 

Eventually a manager will get to the point where he can't see the wood for the trees especially with regard to England. The sort of place where Trippier is a better left back than Chilwell. 

I think there was something around the Gilmour covid thing.  Chilwell was apparently going to play v Czechs. He didn't get a look in after that even when Shaw came off vs Ukraine at 4 0 he brought Trippier on.  That's sending the message that you're out of here. 

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And just like city that's the attitude that will win us sweet fa

Southgate’s style of football almost won us the Euros, a penalty shoot-out away from glory. Fine margins and all that. You could argue if Southgate was more positive our defence would be more vulnerable and cave in. I thought Southgate in general got the balance between attacking and defending spot on, but no doubt he should have done more in the second half of the final.

Archived