IGNORED

Benjamin Mendy accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault

Unan

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thanks for clarifying, I thought the title was a bit strange.

Arrested following an allegation of rape would fit, charged with would also fit, but the alleged bit alongside the charged bit confused me.

Yeh. Thinking about it, you wouldn’t ever write “alleged murder”. It’s a stigma attached to rape sadly and pretty much only rape. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Benjamin Mendy accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault
  • Admin
31 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ah.  Well, can't prejudge the court.

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with a further count of rape.

The French international, of Prestbury in Cheshire, is now accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault relating to five women.

The 27-year-old was charged last week with the latest offence but it was subject to reporting restrictions.

These restrictions were lifted earlier as Mr Mendy appeared at Chester Crown Court for a hearing ahead of his trial.

The latest charge relates to a new complainant and is alleged to have taken place in July this year.

The earlier charges are alleged to have happened between October 2020 and August 2021.

The footballer, who has been in custody since his arrest in August, appeared alongside his co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, of Eccles in Greater Manchester.

Mr Matturie is accused of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Both men were remanded into custody at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool after the 40-minute hearing.

Their trial, which was scheduled for January, was also put back to later in the year.

Mr Mendy has played for last season's Premier League champions Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thought he was charged having been accused?

I'm even more confused.

You’re right. It should be “…charged with multiple counts…”.

The police have charged him with those offences and he’ll either be cleared or convicted of the offences in court. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Accused means he’s going to stand trial/is standing trial.
Charged means he’s going to stand trial. 

potato/potato - just realised this doesn’t work in the written word!

As the resident old bill...

Is there some distinction in the 'type' of rape he is accused of? Like has he followed these women walking home and dragged them into a bush and had his way with them struggling, or has he been in a bar drunk taken a groupie home and they've all been drunk so can't give consent ala Chen Evans? Appreciate they are both 'rape' but obviously very different levels.

12 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh. Thinking about it, you wouldn’t ever write “alleged murder”. It’s a stigma attached to rape sadly and pretty much only rape. 

Actually I disagree. You may be sure that someone has died, but unsure it was murder, so that murder is alleged but unproven. The same with sex and rape.

In fact you can use “alleged” or “allegation” with most offences, surely? 

I’ve just googled “alleged murder” and came up with lots of press reports.

Edited by Leveller

48 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Actually I disagree. You may be sure that someone has died, but unsure it was murder, so that murder is alleged but unproven. The same with sex and rape.

In fact you can use “alleged” or “allegation” with most offences, surely? 

I’ve just googled “alleged murder” and came up with lots of press reports.

Initially, a murder will, of course, be 'alleged', as in 'it is alleged that, or 'X' is alleged to', have murdered 'Y', but 'X' will eventually be charged with murder.

The offence itself remains alleged, as it is yet to be tried or proven, but the charge is murder - unless I am mistaken, alleged murder is not an offence.

In contrast, however, a newspaper would be open to libel proceedings were it to state that 'X' murdered 'Y' prior to 'X' being found guilty, hence the reason they state, 'X' is alleged etc.

Ok, let’s get this straight… all crimes are alleged until convicted. But you don’t get charged with Alleged offences. It’d be like selling cold ice cream, the Cold doesn’t need saying, it’s implied in the fact it’s ice cream! There is definitely a stigma around rape and the word alleged, that was my point. 

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

I read yesterday that Mendy was supposed to be 'suspended' by Man City pending the outcomes. I guess this means he is suspended but still being paid? By the way I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be paid until something is proven one way or another. Just interested if anyone knows?

I guess you can be suspended without pay too?

On 26/08/2021 at 20:07, The Batman said:

This in addition to the Everton player a few weeks back in connection with sex crimes against an underage girl (don't name the player, the thread was locked as it was alleged to be someone but never confirmed). 

In addition to the bbc documentary about football's darkest secret.... Obviously an issue in the world of football. A lot definitely goes unmentioned. 

The Everton player who hasn't kicked a ball for them since and because of everyone busting a gut not to name him meant that Fabian Delph had a lot of flak aimed his way for no reason whatsoever other than being the same age........................the player who has been confirmed as the player arrested in his own country.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The Everton player who hasn't kicked a ball for them since and because of everyone busting a gut not to name him meant that Fabian Delph had a lot of flak aimed his way for no reason whatsoever other than being the same age........................the player who has been confirmed as the player arrested in his own country.

I saw the veiled insinuations and suggestions at the time that FD was the alleged culprit, and remember thinking that a statement was bound to materialise confirming or denying.

It is unfortunate that I have not seen anything since to confirm that the rumours were false.

How awful that poor old FD‘S reputation may well have been  tarnished in such a way.

Any chance of a PM to indicate the identity of the suspect?

He'd better hide his money well - in addition to looking at a long spell in prison, the victims will I assume already be starting civil proceedings.

£70 million+ goes a long way to help the victims get the help they need to get on with their lives.

I'd expect 10yrs minimum (ie 15 but out in 10 on 'good behaviour') - hopefully consecutively

• Admin

PREM rape charge star Benjamin Mendy has been switched to one of Britain’s grimmest jails amid fears for his safety.

The Manchester City defender, 27, spent Christmas at top-security prison Strangeways.

The French international, who is accused of seven counts of rape, was driven to Manchester from Liverpool’s category-B HMP Altcourse on December 23.

His co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is also understood to have been moved there at the same time. Last night sources said the switch, the day after a seventh rape charge was brought against Mendy, came as fears grew over his safety inside.

One said: “Both Mendy and Matturie have been moved because their case is so high profile. That can lead to safety and prisoner management issues and it was felt Category A conditions might be better equipped to deal with any potential issues.

“The Prison Service has a responsibility to manage prisoners in the safest way possible.” A source familiar with Strangeways, also called HMP Manchester, said Mendy may still be in for a rough time.

An inspection last September found many of its 624 lags were locked up for 22 hours a day. It has previously housed April Jones’ murderer Mark Bridger and one-eyed cop killer Dale Cregan.

The source said: “He won’t know what’s hit him coming from Altcourse, which is a privately run prison. It’s one of the toughest jails in the country. His other problem will be the amount of Man United fans in there.

"They will be screaming his name for weeks so he won’t be getting much sleep, especially as he’s charged with sex offences. There are a lot of Blues’ fans there as well, but even the most avid will struggle to protect an alleged sex offender.”

Mendy, of Prestbury, Cheshire, is accused of seven counts of rape involving four women. He is also facing a charge of sexual touching against a fifth.

Matturie, of Eccles, Gtr Manchester, faces six counts of rape and one sexual assault. They next appear in court on Friday.

On 23/12/2021 at 08:09, Fordy62 said:

Ok, let’s get this straight… all crimes are alleged until convicted. But you don’t get charged with Alleged offences. It’d be like selling cold ice cream, the Cold doesn’t need saying, it’s implied in the fact it’s ice cream! There is definitely a stigma around rape and the word alleged, that was my point. 

Perhaps the alleged comes from the victim alleging that the defendant was the perpetrator? Their testimony. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax

10 hours ago, phantom said:

PREM rape charge star Benjamin Mendy has been switched to one of Britain’s grimmest jails amid fears for his safety.

The Manchester City defender, 27, spent Christmas at top-security prison Strangeways.

The French international, who is accused of seven counts of rape, was driven to Manchester from Liverpool’s category-B HMP Altcourse on December 23.

His co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is also understood to have been moved there at the same time. Last night sources said the switch, the day after a seventh rape charge was brought against Mendy, came as fears grew over his safety inside.

One said: “Both Mendy and Matturie have been moved because their case is so high profile. That can lead to safety and prisoner management issues and it was felt Category A conditions might be better equipped to deal with any potential issues.

“The Prison Service has a responsibility to manage prisoners in the safest way possible.” A source familiar with Strangeways, also called HMP Manchester, said Mendy may still be in for a rough time.

An inspection last September found many of its 624 lags were locked up for 22 hours a day. It has previously housed April Jones’ murderer Mark Bridger and one-eyed cop killer Dale Cregan.

The source said: “He won’t know what’s hit him coming from Altcourse, which is a privately run prison. It’s one of the toughest jails in the country. His other problem will be the amount of Man United fans in there.

"They will be screaming his name for weeks so he won’t be getting much sleep, especially as he’s charged with sex offences. There are a lot of Blues’ fans there as well, but even the most avid will struggle to protect an alleged sex offender.”

Mendy, of Prestbury, Cheshire, is accused of seven counts of rape involving four women. He is also facing a charge of sexual touching against a fifth.

Matturie, of Eccles, Gtr Manchester, faces six counts of rape and one sexual assault. They next appear in court on Friday.

'Lags' is a term that must universally be used in tabloid papers alone, surely, has anyone every actually uttered that word in day to day life...

• Like 1