IGNORED

Benjamin Mendy accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault

Unan

"#Breaking Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy, 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three complainants aged over 16 between October 2020 and August 2021, Cheshire Constabulary said"

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1430918510612525058

The player has been put on suspension by the club, can’t see them doing anything else in the circumstances.

Probably using precedent set by another club…….

Edit: He's been remanded in custody too

Charged with 4 counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three complainants. Suspended by Man City.

Feels like the right moral action at this stage by MCFC (can’t sack him until/unless found guilty). Jesus though, if proven, what a scumbag.

Edit - Mods please merge as posted at the same time as identical topic

Edited by Silvio Dante

• The title was changed to Mendy charged with 4 counts of alleged rape

Could well relate to this Times article from last November?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-player-arrested-for-rape-and-false-imprisonment-rddtddg9k

I know this may feel pedantic, but ‘charged with four counts of rape’ is correct. You can not be charged with ‘alleged rape’, although like all defendants he must be considered innocent until proven guilty (if that is the outcome).

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:
I know this isn't how it works but I feel like if you're guilty of crimes like this you should have all of your money taken away from you too. He'll get a few years in jail & then be free to do what he wants with his millions.

As I understand it if he was found guilty then the injured victims can sue him in the civil courts for damages. 

Hopefully his millions will then be taken away. Again IF he's guilty. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Could well relate to this Times article from last November?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-player-arrested-for-rape-and-false-imprisonment-rddtddg9k

I know this may feel pedantic, but ‘charged with four counts of rape’ is correct. You can not be charged with ‘alleged rape’, although like all defendants he must be considered innocent until proven guilty (if that is the outcome).

Apparently the incidents took place from October onwards which would suggest this article was too early

This in addition to the Everton player a few weeks back in connection with sex crimes against an underage girl (don't name the player, the thread was locked as it was alleged to be someone but never confirmed). 

In addition to the bbc documentary about football's darkest secret.... Obviously an issue in the world of football. A lot definitely goes unmentioned. 

6 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:
"#Breaking Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy, 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three complainants aged over 16 between October 2020 and August 2021, Cheshire Constabulary said"

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1430918510612525058

The player has been put on suspension by the club, can’t see them doing anything else in the circumstances.

Probably using precedent set by another club…….

Edit: He's been remanded in custody too

Is ‘over 16’ normal phrasing that is used? Gives me a horrible feeling about 17 year olds potentially being involved rather than just saying 3 adults 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Is ‘over 16’ normal phrasing that is used? Gives me a horrible feeling about 17 year olds potentially being involved rather than just saying 3 adults 

Yeah bit odd, I think it's to try and distinguish between nonces and crimes against those above the age of consent ... both horrible. 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I think it would indicate one is aged 16 or 17 and not yet 18. From my TV watching of crime there are different age categories which have different names for the offenders and the charge, such as under 12, 12-16, 16-18 and then 18 above. So under 12 is paedophilia whereas 12-16 is sexual conduct with a minor.

Edited by grifty

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Whereas it’s not normal phrasing, there are different classifications of rape which have different age groups. I’m a little rusty on it, but 16 and above is the highest age group. 

Example, having sex (whether consensual or not) with someone under 13 is rape full stop - there’s no defence. 13-15 has a slightly different set of guidelines. And 16+ is the oldest category. 

So In short I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I’m sure Fordy knows the law far better than me.

I assumed the specific mention of over 16 was to differentiate from the rumours of another player a couple of months ago.

Don't know if this is apocryphal?...........but the story goes that when Mendy was told that he was being put in the VP wing of the prison......his thought process made him think that he was being incarcerated in the  cosy VIP section of the nick............got quite upset, apparently, when he met his new cell mates.  ha!  ?

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

He is deep in the shit. Innocent until proven guilty of course, but even if innocent could wreck his career.

Obviously need to wait till trial , but really think this is going to be massive. The fact he’s been on remand since august has to be an indicator. Appreciate the guy had money and must be a flight risk but surely restrictions could be put on him through his employer?

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Title needs to be changed. He’s been charged with “x counts of rape”. There should be no “alleged” in the title. That is self explanatory in the “charged” part. 

Thanks for clarifying, I thought the title was a bit strange.

Arrested following an allegation of rape would fit, charged with would also fit, but the alleged bit alongside the charged bit confused me.