IGNORED

"I’m not a believer in collecting players"

headhunter

14 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Hate to seem like im backing Johnson in every reply as I’m far from his biggest fan he bottled some key games, but I must speak what I believe to be facts, did Johnson not use regularly in 2 top 10 finishes or sell for a profit every player he purchased??‍♂️ I mean it wasn’t a disaster was it you’d think he destroyed the club the way some of you go on…get a grip.

We had some very memorable league and cup results in his tenure and had hope and something to play for at all times.

Perspective is a miss with most.

A little perspective might be the state of the squad when he left and the complete lack of a fighting spirit when it really mattered.

Don't think we'll go down, think we're a bit light though.

Loan or 2...maybe 3. RB (arguable) but certainly wide area and striker.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listening to Nige….I’d say Conway and Bell….he picked them out.

Yeah saw that too- hope some on that list do start to emerge this year, but it's a gamble to have so many relatively inexperienced players in and around the squad.

22 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Hate to seem like im backing Johnson in every reply as I’m far from his biggest fan he bottled some key games, but I must speak what I believe to be facts, did Johnson not use regularly in 2 top 10 finishes or sell for a profit every player he purchased??‍♂️ I mean it wasn’t a disaster was it you’d think he destroyed the club the way some of you go on…get a grip.

We had some very memorable league and cup results in his tenure and had hope and something to play for at all times.

Perspective is a miss with most.

18, 17, 11 and 8 place were our place in the leauge when LJ was manager before he was sacked. Bryan, Reid, Kelly, Flint, Pack, Webster, Brownhill good players we made good money on. Dont say LJ i Pep but everything was not shit when he was manager. Since he left we have not got better. Hope and think NP can get us on the right direction. COYR!!!

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You also have to be mindful that if you generally recruit players before they are at the top of their development curve, that some of the development might have happened quite naturally too.  Plus how did some players go backwards is always my challenge?

Ok, I’m being slightly facetious, but my view is that LJ was mixed in everything he did.  Good things and bad things in equal measure.  Not the messiah, nor a naughty boy either! ???

The frustrating thing is I don’t think he really bottled why some stuff worked and therefore how to re-use it.  Boom and bust under LJ.  Never really learned cause and effect.  Would’ve been better getting a proper football mentor than pissing about in the NHS, the SAS or hostage negotiator (unless it was him trying to deal with MA!!!). Didn’t need to be as clever as he wanted people to think he was.

Shame.  Likeable in many ways, arrogant pr1ck in others.

I guess it’s no wonder so many debates are focussed on him.  Easy to choose one side of it and make a case, and likewise the opposite too.

Still lives in our heads….bastard ???

You're right in saying he was a far from perfect manager who had his weaknesses, and it was right that he left when he did. On the other hand, he left for failing to get us promoted, there was never any danger of us getting relegated while he was in charge; how many other managers of BCFC can you say that about who have managed us in the 2nd tier? That's why I get annoyed by the people on here going completely over the top saying he's 'destroyed the club' etc when in fact it's just that they don't like him.

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

I sense Ashton treated players as trading commodities, rather than potential first team players. I mean did we buy Eisa to actually play, or because we saw some upside in his potential value? I suspect LJ had little to do with those sorts of signings.

See also: Kasey Palmer 

50 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

First full season was a disaster but the agenda is clear for some just pure dislike 

Perhaps we can settle upon something like:

LJ was here during the time of plenty, in an era of "feast" and growth (some, but by no means all, of his own making) and his best finish was 8th, same as Millwall have managed (twice) since we've been back in the Championship, but not quite as good as Preston (7th) or Barnsley  (5th)

Nige is here during a time of "famine" and cutting back and he has struggled so far.

Archived