IGNORED

Majority shareholder

Desso

1 minute ago, Desso said:

Before SL, who was majority shareholder?

I thought (I read on here) that some years back, the club was set up in a way that limited the % of shares any individual could hold.

Handy, that you don't have an autocratic rule, less handy in that it can stifle the investment any individual is prepared to make.

Pretty sure previous significant share holders included Harry Dolman, Keith Dawe, Scott Davidson and Les Kew.

5 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Since the 'new' company was formed in 1982, my understanding is that there was not a majority shareholder prior to SL.

I suspect that that was the case for the old football club as well, the one that went bust.

This.

Pretty sure one of the new company caveats was to limit the shares per individual.

SL was able to get that changed.

The difference being we have someone who is able to fund what we hope will be a club able to compete financially, or a more community based club requiring fan investment (like Exeter).

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

SL was able to get that changed.

I think he got frustrated with minority shareholders objecting to him taking control, but not stumping up the cash when the club needed it.  I think it became a 'let me take control or I will stop investing' point.  Not a criticism of anyone just hard reality.

Post ‘82 there hasn’t been one, prior to SL.

Des Williams was the chairman back then with Les Kew his deputy & around 4 other board members, when Des passed on Les took over.

Pretty sure we then had the reform group takeover shambles after Les under Dave Russe, but they didn’t last too long & Scott Davidson was up next & if memory serves, John Laycock & Steve Lansdown both joined the board during this time.

Laycock cleared off & next was Keith Dawe who took over from Scott, & SL who I think was deputy chair then replaced him.

If I have it right everyone up to SL’s time had to decide matters on a majority vote basis.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Post ‘82 there hasn’t been one, prior to SL.

Des Williams was the chairman back then with Les Kew his deputy & around 4 other board members, when Des passed on Les took over.

Pretty sure we then had the reform group takeover shambles after Les under Dave Russe, but they didn’t last too long & Scott Davidson was up next & if memory serves, John Laycock & Steve Lansdown both joined the board during this time.

Laycock cleared off & next was Keith Dawe who took over from Scott, & SL who I think was deputy chair then replaced him.

If I have it right everyone up to SL’s time had to decide matters on a majority vote basis.

I vaguely remember the reform group and their pledges of premier league in five years, how did it crash and burn so quickly?

1 minute ago, walnutroof said:

I vaguely remember the reform group and their pledges of premier league in five years.

Europe, I think it was! ?

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure previous significant share holders included Harry Dolman, Keith Dawe, Scott Davidson and Les Kew.

Not sure Les had much in the way of wedge. Des Williams was chairman, passing to Les by default more than anything else, him just being "next in line". 

The other 3 you mention made money from their own successful businesses. Les used to sell vacuum cleaners for a living, amongst other things. 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Europe, I think it was! ?

Not sure Les had much in the way of wedge. Des Williams was chairman, passing to Les by default more than anything else, him just being "next in line". 

The other 3 you mention made money from their own successful businesses. Les used to sell vacuum cleaners for a living, amongst other things. 

Don’t diss Les, you know you really loved him!

“Today’s attendance is 13,756, BOO!…Today’s attendance is 15,712…”

11 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I vaguely remember the reform group and their pledges of premier league in five years, how did it crash and burn so quickly?

They had no money, Osman was tasked with keeping us in The Championship with about £40 to spend.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They had no money, Osman was tasked with keeping us in The Championship with about £40 to spend.

A division containing Grimsby, Luton, Oxford, Peterborough, Southend, Notts County and Tranmere, who finished fifth. 

Peterborough finished bottom and scored one more goal than we managed. We finished 13th but were the lowest scorers in the division. People stopped going.

£40 was enough. If Russ had been given a Sierra to get about in instead of the Daimler, it might've been £60.

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

A division containing Grimsby, Luton, Oxford, Peterborough, Southend, Notts County and Tranmere, who finished fifth. 

Peterborough finished bottom and scored one more goal than we managed. We finished 13th but were the lowest scorers in the division. People stopped going.

£40 was enough. If Russ had been given a Sierra to get about in instead of the Daimler, it might've been £60.

People did stop going, but whoever was in charge of us was going to struggle to build a side that according to the reform group (I still have their leaflet anytime you fancy a laugh) would be “walking down Wembley way” (I don’t think they meant the JPT, either) or “in Europe in 5 years” with that sort of pitiful budget.

Even when we sold Andy Cole Osman only got a third of that fee to buy his replacement.

When Joseph took over we were marooned in the third division, it wasn’t just Osman.

They were gas style bullshitters, at least Sir Les Lew admitted he had very little money.

Up until the past couple years, I can't help but think that us and the Gas have been ' owned/run' by people that have absolutely no idea how to run a football club. 

How is that possible? 

Looking at Bristol as a potential big club, how has no clever monied investor ever given it a go?

SL gets massive respect by the football community on how he runs the club...but to what advantage?

We've had money but never invested well in all departments. 

I've never got my head around that.

If I had SLs money I'd be proud of the infrastructure...but totally ashamed of the decision making football wise. It's embarrassing.

Imagine wanting to leave a legacy that read...' all the gear but no idea'. ?

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Up until the past couple years, I can't help but think that us and the Gas have been ' owned/run' by people that have absolutely no idea how to run a football club. 

How is that possible? 

Looking at Bristol as a potential big club, how has no clever monied investor ever given it a go?

SL gets massive respect by the football community on how he runs the club...but to what advantage?

We've had money but never invested well in all departments. 

I've never got my head around that.

If I had SLs money I'd be proud of the infrastructure...but totally ashamed of the decision making football wise. It's embarrassing.

Imagine wanting to leave a legacy that read...' all the gear but no idea'. ?

I totally agree pal - what with the stadium in place and now finally we have the multi million £ training complex we are for the first time in let’s be honest our entire history not hamstrung by facilities. If SL doesn’t deliver the promised land sometime soon ‘’all the gear no idea’’ really would be an accurate summary!

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I actually met with John Clapp/David Russe to look at taking on the club banking way back then…..turned them down as they were pretty broke.

5 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

I actually met with John Clapp/David Russe to look at taking on the club banking way back then…..turned them down as they were pretty broke.

Red, you're a hard, hard man. So you're a banker. I must have misheard. ?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t diss Les, you know you really loved him!

“Today’s attendance is 13,756, BOO!…Today’s attendance is 15,712…”

Well yes, you can't dislike someone who's supported us through thick and thin for as long as he has and is still going.

But immensely frustrated with the hapless, small time "leadership" demonstrated post Wembley 86 until  kicked out by another bunch of hapless small time bullshitters? Most certainly. 

His heart is red n white though, unlike rather too many Suits who've run the show since. 

22 minutes ago, bris red said:

I totally agree pal - what with the stadium in place and now finally we have the multi million £ training complex we are for the first time in let’s be honest our entire history not hamstrung by facilities. If SL doesn’t deliver the promised land sometime soon ‘’all the gear no idea’’ really would be an accurate summary!

For years we've been run like amateurs. The fact that MA could come in and put one over on the owner speaks volumes.

In my lifetime we've been run by enthusiastic owners with money who literally have no idea on how to run a club.

Literally learning on the job.

It's seriously a case of any of us...if we had the money...any of us could own City and make decisions.

If you have as much money as SL and have knowledge in his type of business, then I'm sure it's hard to trust others to make footballing decisions for you, especially if you don't know the football business.

MA seriously spanked SL on the arse.

His legacy will show that.

I don't resent JL...but he's on a hiding to nothing. Would any other football owner have employed him because of his football business accumen.

It's very narcissistic.

The ' sleeping giant' has been held back by poor decision making from owners.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

For years we've been run like amateurs. The fact that MA could come in and put one over on the owner speaks volumes.

In my lifetime we've been run by enthusiastic owners with money who literally have no idea on how to run a club.

Literally learning on the job.

It's seriously a case of any of us...if we had the money...any of us could own City and make decisions.

If you have as much money as SL and have knowledge in his type of business, then I'm sure it's hard to trust others to make footballing decisions for you, especially if you don't know the football business.

MA seriously spanked SL on the arse.

His legacy will show that.

I don't resent JL...but he's on a hiding to nothing. Would any other football owner have employed him because of his football business accumen.

It's very narcissistic.

The ' sleeping giant' has been held back by poor decision making from owners.

Can’t argue with a word of that.

I think it is utterly shameful that Ashton managed to pull the wool over SL’s eyes for years.

Archived