IGNORED

Shane Warne

22A

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's 1989. 2 young Aussie cricketers step off the plan at Lulsgate ("Bristol International" my arse) to be met by the Captains of Imperial and Knowle.

One of the Aussies is an opening bat, the other is a leg spinner.

"Nobody needs a leg spinner" says the Knowle Captain, "I'm having the opening bat".

True story. 

The rest... is history.

Cool story - although it isn’t a true story ... Warne arrived in Bristol with his mate Rick Gough - and Knowle CC bemoans the fact that they missed out on Warne playing for them, although he did turn out for them in a few Sunday games - Warne’s autobiography doesn’t mention your version of events either - but like I said, cool story, as long as facts don’t matter ... ??

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cool story - although it isn’t a true story ... Warne arrived in Bristol with his mate Rick Gough - and Knowle CC bemoans the fact that they missed out on Warne playing for them, although he did turn out for them in a few Sunday games - Warne’s autobiography doesn’t mention your version of events either - but like I said, cool story, as long as facts don’t matter ... ??

I still can’t believe he didn’t write about me catching him out….running from wide-long-on round towards mid wicket in front of the old Pavillion to pouch the catch. 70-odd of 40 balls.  They didn’t let him loose with the cherry.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's 1989. 2 young Aussie cricketers step off the plan at Lulsgate ("Bristol International" my arse) to be met by the Captains of Imperial and Knowle.

One of the Aussies is an opening bat, the other is a leg spinner.

"Nobody needs a leg spinner" says the Knowle Captain, "I'm having the opening bat".

True story. 

The rest... is history.

Shane was a good time boy I then played rugby for imperial the pavilion was our club house and he lodged in the flat above it . The seasons over ran so was sat on the balcony and watched his first ever over opened the bowling waited for him to pace out his run thinking he was a fast bowler couldn’t believe a spinner would open the bowling took a wicket with about third ball span miles . Was good mates with one of the footballers Vic Saunders I thing his name was used to be called Taz went everywhere together would imagine he would’ve took him . Shane came to visit him on the bowl of the century tour were really good mates

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

"Knowle CC bemoans the fact they missed out on Warne playing for them" - thanks for confirming my story ?

The rest is window dressing - after all, it's the way you tell 'em that's important ?

Jon sitton, ex gillingham, said he was warming up at Scunthorpe once,

Ian botham, was being paraded, to the crowd, a guy was bringing out pints.

He said he had about 6.

Hes gone in got changed, i couldnt beleive it he said, bothams ran out in a Scunthorpe kit!

Then hes marked tony casarino out the game!

Saw liz and shane warne at bath races once.

I recall her horse got put down that day.

Think she had gave about 75k for it.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I still can’t believe he didn’t write about me catching him out….running from wide-long-on round towards mid wicket in front of the old Pavillion to pouch the catch. 70-odd of 40 balls.  They didn’t let him loose with the cherry.

Do you mean the old wooden pavilion that 'mysteriously burned down' ?

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure I needed another reason to dislike him even more but thanks for sharing this.

He’s a ****.

We agree on some things Graham… but not this. Warney is my absolute hero. Best to have ever played the game. 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure I needed another reason to dislike him even more but thanks for sharing this.

He’s a ****.

We agree on some things Graham… but not this. Warney is my absolute hero. Best to have ever played the game. 

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He was a truly brilliant cricketer but he’s a total *******.

Pro Trump & Boris Johnson & one of the most inane pundits on cricket (a sport where the standard is very high) I have ever heard, no comparison with Michael Holding, for instance.

Like most (all?) Australians he is as one eyed about their team as can be & I mute the sound to avoid listening to anything he says. Michael Vaughan is another, but let’s not go there…

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was a truly brilliant cricketer but he’s a total *******.

Pro Trump & Boris Johnson & one of the most inane pundits on cricket (a sport where the standard is very high) I have ever heard, no comparison with Michael Holding, for instance.

Like most (all?) Australians he is as one eyed about their team as can be & I mute the sound to avoid listening to anything he says. Michael Vaughan is another, but let’s not go there…

It can often be the case can`t it? An absolute joy to watch on a cricket pitch but a real cock off it. MH is an example of how it can be done properly and is a great listen.

16 hours ago, 22A said:

Watching today's Test Match, Shane Warne was asked by another commentator if he had a favourite football team. "Yep; Chelsea".

"1989, my first year over here at Imperial in Bristol and someone decided to take me to a football match, so we caught a train to London and went to Chelsea. I've followed them ever since".

OK, fair enough, but; 1988 - 89 City had three consecutive good seasons and Rovers also did well in 89-90. WHO decided to introduce Warne to football by taking him 120 miles away from where he was at the time?

Did he go from parson Street though?... 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I smashed him back over his head into the distance in the nets at Imperial back then. He also threw up all over my mate’s lounge after a Cider-fuelled night in The George, Totterdown ... happy days!

Sorry, The George is in Knowle .

In the scheme of things not very important, but in this era of fake news one does what one can to be a beacon of light and honesty.

16 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Same here, the hard bit was trying to get rid of them in the morning when you realised what was lying next to you?

In their case, a ****** Swindle fan! ?

Archived