IGNORED

Andi Weimann

GrahamC

As I’ve continually said since he arrived at our club - he’s the best footballer at Bristol City - yet another fantastic performance today and all this after he has come back from a nasty long-term injury ... he’s the ultimate bass player - you don’t always notice how valuable their contribution is until they aren’t there ... the other 10 players are the bricks, Weimann is the cement ... ??

I am unsure LJ knew how to use Weimann properly sometimes but first 5 games this season under NP Weimann looks one of the most dangerous players in the League. Brilliant and he has provided us with some fantastic moments away from home.

19 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Nah...

All he does is run around.

Rubbish! He points a lot as well.

I suppose he might be better when fully match fit, but we need someone that can score goals.

But seriously, for those posters saying he's ineffective at home, did you really not notice us get even worse without him? Did you watch the matches, or form your opinion from the knockers on here?

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When fit, I've never understood the flak he has got in recent times.

Good signing, absolutely- goals, assists, energy in particular pressing- versatility, which has been useful for LJ especially but not so much for Weimann himself- as in he can 'do a job' as a winger but it's by no means his favoured position! Think also could be useful at times wide right in a 4-3-3 but never a winger, even if he can help the team at times.

I remember his first season, all the great runs he made, especially before Christmas- happened often, undetected by our side but that was kinda on the midfield or how we set up, not him so much. Also had multiple goals wrongly disallowed for offside.

This a hundred times. I don't go to games much anymore but I happened to catch one when he'd just signed for us. His movement was exceptionnel and we just weren't on his wavelength. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I remember he was really good in that first half that night when we dominated them. Also at home to Luton and Huddersfiield he was really good.

….and then LJ changed his lop-sided 4231 ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Noticed that too. Wonder if there is a shot of it similar to the classic Murray photo.

Loads of tweets showing the resemblance, just search Scotty Murray’s timeline.

The fittest player I’ve ever seen wear our shirt. Comeback from an horrendous injury and boy we missed him last season , his energy and goals. 
can he get 20 league goals  … I think so . In that clip it was lovely to see the boss clapping the away support and fist punching !!

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

This a hundred times. I don't go to games much anymore but I happened to catch one when he'd just signed for us. His movement was exceptionnel and we just weren't on his wavelength. 

I think the ‘not being on his wavelength’ is a key point. Many of our players were not adaptable and had not played at a higher level. I think many that under-rated him did so because he did not have the right players around him. Now he has King, James and Martin around him that bring out the best of him. Martin with extra fitness is also benefiting likewise as are the young ones. This is the ‘Pearson effect’ beginning to emerge.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think the only big difference in him is Pearson knows how to get the best out of him. To be fair Holden had him playing very well too at the start of last season.

It was frustrating watching Weimann under LJ though. 

My problem with him has always been his scoring record not being great but can't argue with what he is doing so far this season.

Its been said time and time again but you play him through the middle and he can be devastating at this level. Call me old fashioned but AW is all i ask in a pro footballer, somebody who yes may not be the most technically gifted or flashy in his play but someone who will run himself into the ground for 90 mins and give his all for the team. Win lose or draw aslong as everyone has the same commitment as Andi then as a paying fan i go home happy to be honest.

Just been watching the game back.

The goal was part of an overall move, where Martin got the ball and almost reversed a pass into the unrushing Pring, who was jostled out the way (penalty shouts but wasn’t imho).  Martin hares after the covering defender and the ball gets cleared to the h-w line where Atkinson on the touch line muscles Giles off the ball and heads infield.  Baker flicks it over the pressing defender….and there in the left-half of the pitch is Weimann, 40 yards from goal…who hits a crisp pass on the bounce infield to James by the centre-circle.  Weimann then goes off to find Martin. James out to Vyner….and that’s where my clip above begins.

Last season, City don’t recycle an attacking possession when Pring doesn’t get on the end of it.  This season we are doing it more and more and getting multiple phases of attack.  It’s a big difference.

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Its been said time and time again but you play him through the middle and he can be devastating at this level. Call me old fashioned but AW is all i ask in a pro footballer, somebody who yes may not be the most technically gifted or flashy in his play but someone who will run himself into the ground for 90 mins and give his all for the team. Win lose or draw aslong as everyone has the same commitment as Andi then as a paying fan i go home happy to be 

Can you look at the two finishes yesterday and say he's not technically gifted?  Superb strikes.

3 hours ago, Super said:

My problem with him has always been his scoring record not being great but can't argue with what he is doing so far this season.

25 in 106 (at risk of trusting Wiki) isn’t amazing for a central striker, but isn’t bad for someone asked to play the roles he’s had. 

Suspect a lot of defences will be worried by a Martin/Weimann combination, if nothing else they know they’ll get battered by Martin and run ragged by Weimann. That’s a decent combination for others in the team to exploit. 

Archived