IGNORED

Bristol City: the Pearson Era

Porto Red

Could this result and performance go on to define our season?

In the future, when such things as the thread title are written, could this be the game the author points back to - to say: "this, this was the day the Pearson Era really began at Bristol City"?

12 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

In the future, when such things as the thread title are written, could this be the game the author points back to - to say: "this, this was the day the Pearson Era really began at Bristol City"?

Today was definitely a "Pearson performance".  Onwards and upwards

I'm hopeful that with Nagy leaving, and Moore going on loan, it offers NP the opportunity to bring in more of the players he feels we need before the transfer window closes.

I think you're right, this is probably the correct starting point to judge NP because he'll start to mould the team more and more to how he sees fit, but this moment in time probably is ground zero where we have the basics of a side, but with plenty more to come.

1 hour ago, Porto Red said:

It's starting to remind me of when GJ came into the club and a few "hand grenades" needed to be thrown. The Swansea game last week was reminiscent of the Bradford game under GJ where suddenly it was a noticeable difference in performance levels and from there we were on an upward trajectory for a long period of time.

I think the Wolves game in December 2017 was probably the defining game of our current time in the Championship, a pivotal game from which we’ve never truly recovered since. At some point there will be a game where we start to pivot back in the right direction, but we might not know it for sure at the time. Hopefully this was it.

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It's starting to remind me of when GJ came into the club and a few "hand grenades" needed to be thrown. The Swansea game last week was reminiscent of the Bradford game under GJ where suddenly it was a noticeable difference in performance levels and from there we were on an upward trajectory for a long period of time.

The darkness before the dawn. The Huddersfield game a few days later was the first steps away from disaster- from the lowest point, in the darkness at the bottom of League One, the 9 losses- the only way was up.

Was the clinching goal Dave Cotterill's first for us, or first at home or something? Okay checked back, was wrong on that bit. We played well in defeat though v Bradford, gave us that bit of hope as you say.

Although another significant and perhaps latter turning point came one week in late August/early September 2006 IMO. Two wins in adversity for differing reasons, then we flew up the League.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the Wolves game in December 2017 was probably the defining game of our current time in the Championship, a pivotal game from which we’ve never truly recovered since. At some point there will be a game where we start to pivot back in the right direction, but we might not know it for sure at the time. Hopefully this was it.

2018/19 was reasonable in parts IMO and we had some good performances in 2017/18 post that, staying within the top 6 race late into the season but I know what you mean- we win that game, who knows what we can go onto achieve- think we should have gone on to make the playoffs in 2017/18 in any case though.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The darkness before the dawn. The Huddersfield game a few days later was the first steps away from disaster- from the lowest point, in the darkness at the bottom of League One, the 9 losses- the only way was up.

Was the clinching goal Dave Cotterill's first for us, or first at home or something? Okay checked back, was wrong on that bit. We played well in defeat though v Bradford, gave us that bit of hope as you say.

Although another significant and perhaps latter turning point came one week in late August/early September 2006 IMO. Two wins in adversity for differing reasons, then we flew up the League.

2018/19 was reasonable in parts IMO and we had some good performances in 2017/18 post that, staying within the top 6 race late into the season but I know what you mean- we win that game, who knows what we can go onto achieve- think we should have gone on to make the playoffs in 2017/18 in any case though.

Was that the Northampton game? Orr Carey headbutt?

I think by then the wheels were already turning and the new signings just needed to settle in from the summer.

Back to the present day we have Preston and Luton at home in our next two so a real chance to start building momentum.

11 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Was that the Northampton game? Orr Carey headbutt?

I think by then the wheels were already turning and the new signings just needed to settle in from the summer.

Back to the present day we have Preston and Luton at home in our next two so a real chance to start building momentum.

That's the one! It was some week, we rallied at Northampton and then we beat Brighton the day after a number of our players got sent to prison for the fracas in 2005...yet Scott Brown who avoided it got the winner- kinda got the feeling of strength in adversity, perhaps a bit of a siege mentality. It was also our first home win v Brighton in some time and our first game vs them since the 2004 playoff final! We'd lost or drawn at home vs them in the prior several meetings.

A fourth player, Scott Brown, 21, of Shannon Walk, Portishead, admitted a Section 4 Public Order Act offence and was ordered to do 100 hours of community punishment. Partridge, of Lower Burlington, Portishead, was also ordered to pay £1,000 compensation to bystander Andrew Rowley, who he hit with a vicious uppercut.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/sep/01/newsstory.sport17

That combined with the Orr-Carey scrap was tough circs- and two wins from it, indeed the guy who got Community Service in our first meeting scoring the winner vs the team who beat us at Wembley since then, dunno if you could write it.

Not condoning what went on of course to lead to that point but...think we were galvanised somewhat, through that week.

I’ve been very reluctant to hail Pearson as The Answer since he arrived, but today was a bit special, with clear signs of a different type of Bristol City.  I liked what he said in his post match interview too about players being prepared to play in whatever position was required.  I’m very happy to look forward to where this one is going, though I do wish we had a centre forward who could replace Chris Martin on 75 minutes.

Archived