IGNORED

Pearson Praise

CheddarReds

Sorry Hampshire Reds, this might not be the thread for you?

In what was a hard fought victory the players are deserving of our plaudits. However, arguably Pearson has earned the most praise. 

The decisions made on the day emphasised the gap in expereince between Pearson and his predecessors. 

Frequently under Johson's tenure we would chop and change our system to adapt to the opposition. But Pearson chose to keep to his preffered system, instead choosing individuals who had the qualities to deal with Cardiff's threats. 

The decision paid dividends as I felt it was one of the quietest performances I've seen from Kieffer Moore at this level. Kalas and Atkinson delt with him well, Baker and Vyner offered more appropriate defensive choices when Moore and others drifted towards the back post.

The most promising decision for me came part way through the second half. After Cardiff equalised it would've been easy for us to think 'we're under the cosh, let's get a defender on and take the point'. In the past it would've been typical City to make this change and concede late on. Pearson chose to bring on Semenyo for King. It was a proactive choice which took the game to Cardiff again. The result was Semenyo providing an assist for a fantastic Weimann volley. 

So - well done Nige, you got it spot on today and deserved your applause at the end of the game. 

1 minute ago, CheddarReds said:

In what was a hard fought victory the players are deserving of our plaudits. However, arguably Pearson has earned the most praise. 

The decisions made on the day emphasised the gap in expereince between Pearson and his predecessors. 

Frequently under Johson's tenure we would chop and change our system to adapt to the opposition. But Pearson chose to keep to his preffered system, instead choosing individuals who had the qualities to deal with Cardiff's threats. 

The decision paid dividends as I felt it was one of the quietest performances I've seen from Kieffer Moore at this level. Kalas and Atkinson delt with him well, Baker and Vyner offered more appropriate defensive choices when Moore and others drifted towards the back post.

The most promising decision for me came part way through the second half. After Cardiff equalised it would've been easy for us to think 'we're under the cosh, let's get a defender on and take the point'. In the past it would've been typical City to make this change and concede late on. Pearson chose to bring on Semenyo for King. It was a proactive choice which took the game to Cardiff again. The result was Semenyo providing an assist for a fantastic Weimann volley. 

So - well done Nige, you got it spot on today and deserved your applause at the end of the game. 

Well put

All the signs are there that the tide is beginning to turn under Pearson. Important to keep up the momentum after the international break now. I’m feeling extremely optimistic about the prospect of some very exciting times ahead . Enjoy this one tonight lads, I certainly will be.

Cardiff get battered everywhere they go…. ?

You reds ?

My view is that we are at the beginning of a very promising new era, finally with a manager with proven success at the higher end of the English game, and we are now starting to see some very promising signs after an almost inevitably difficult start.

This is far from Pearson’s team at this point, but we should start to see some of the positive impacts of his coaching coming through, and I think that’s what we’re seeing now.

Managers need time, especially managers that inherit a disjointed and bang-average squad in a notoriously competitive division with very fine lines between success and failure. We can probably expect to lose a few more than we win this season, but I’m willing to be patient and give a good manager time to build something special. There are countless examples of managers who struggled at first but went on to achieve great success - from our own Gary Johnson all the way to Sir Alex Ferguson. Only teams with huge cash advantages tend to get away with succeeding while constantly chopping and changing their manager.

Anyone incapable of taking a long term view on our position as a club right now probably isn’t worth listening to. And as we enter a 7th successive season in the second tier, those same people probably need reminding that things have been an awful lot worse. This is a time for optimism, but also realism and patience.

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Anyone incapable of taking a long term view on our position as a club right now probably isn’t worth listening to. And as we enter a 7th successive season in the second tier, those same people probably need reminding that things have been an awful lot worse. This is a time for optimism, but also realism and patience.

Sorry to cut down your excellent post, but I thought the last paragraph was worth highlighting as there are still a few on here that just can't see it. 

We are heading in the right direction both on the pitch and off - and that isn't a knee jerk reaction to todays result, myself and the majority were saying the same after the Swansea defeat.

Work in progress and there will be the inevitable hiccups, but really pleased with how things are going after the disaster of last season.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My view is that we are at the beginning of a very promising new era, finally with a manager with proven success at the higher end of the English game, and we are now starting to see some very promising signs after an almost inevitably difficult start.

This is far from Pearson’s team at this point, but we should start to see some of the positive impacts of his coaching coming through, and I think that’s what we’re seeing now.

Managers need time, especially managers that inherit a disjointed and bang-average squad in a notoriously competitive division with very fine lines between success and failure. We can probably expect to lose a few more than we win this season, but I’m willing to be patient and give a good manager time to build something special. There are countless examples of managers who struggled at first but went on to achieve great success - from our own Gary Johnson all the way to Sir Alex Ferguson. Only teams with huge cash advantages tend to get away with succeeding while constantly chopping and changing their manager.

Spot on for me.

Trust the plan.

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Sorry to cut down your excellent post, but I thought the last paragraph was worth highlighting as there are still a few on here that just can't see it. 

We are heading in the right direction both on the pitch and off - and that isn't a knee jerk reaction to todays result, myself and the majority were saying the same after the Swansea defeat.

Work in progress and there will be the inevitable hiccups, but really pleased with how things are going after the disaster of last season.

Excellent points. Twitter, especially after the first 3 matches (inc FGR), was a cesspit of idiots claiming that Pearson wasn’t the man to take things forward. 

Patience is definitely a virtue and we’ll be rewarded in time by Nige. 

The amount of people after we drew to Blackpool saying he wasn’t the right man, failed at derby, failed in Belgium bla bla bla must be feeling very silly. The impact he’s had on the squad & the difference in how we play from the first kick of this season vs the final kick of last is unreal 

We’re a different club to last season, that much is clear. You can’t watch the performances this season and conclude we aren’t moving in the right direction. A team as opposed to the group of individuals that limped home with a whimper, that we all know were fortunate not to be relegated. Once again there is something to believe in, something to get behind, and it’s hugely refreshing win, lose or draw.

The season started with pretty much everyone agreeing that this will be a tricky year with modest expectations. You can’t think that and then start tearing chunks out of the manager who is, at very least, meeting those expectations. The manager needs time and, on the evidence presented, the signs are good.

With that said people shouldn't criticise others who have reacted in a knee-jerk, negative, manner, by reacting in a knee-jerk, positive, manner. The truth is Pearson’s record here is awful and there’s been far more to be negative about than positive. In my opinion there are reasons for that and we’ve seen enough already this season to say progress is occurring, but people shouldn’t gloat. Pearson himself expressed shock at how fans were largely supportive of him after last years run-in, the reputation which draws expectation and thus undue criticism this year is the same reputation that carried him through last year.

This is going to be a formative season of ups and downs. If you’re firing off ‘I told you so’s in either direction you’re on shaky ground.

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

All the signs are there that the tide is beginning to turn under Pearson. Important to keep up the momentum after the international break now. I’m feeling extremely optimistic about the prospect of some very exciting times ahead . Enjoy this one tonight lads, I certainly will be.

Cardiff get battered everywhere they go…. ?

You reds ?

Agreed. It’s not perfect, there’ll be bumps along way and a thrashing here and there, but we looK like a team for the first time in ages. A team that competes. A team with a plan. 

There’s a plan & Nige is going to stick to it.

No spending money we don’t have, no tolerating players who don’t pull their weight or want to do their own thing.

If you’re good enough he’ll pick you & as he’s shown with Pring & Scott, it isn’t based on anything before.

He is also recruiting really good professionals like James & King, we are competitive, hard working & play for the team, not themselves.

Martin looks revitalised, Baker is clearly one he likes & what is there left to say about Andi Weimann?

Great stuff.

I think a real positive is that Pearson is beginning to understand Bristolian passion in the support City have always received through the good and the bad times.

All we ever ask is our passion for City is matched on the pitch and by the manager.  In this regard I believe we are truly now on a positive and sustaining upward trajectory

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

Well said. This is what you get with Pearson, that calm, confident experience.

To think some people were questioning his appointment a couple of games ago as well! Some idiot on 3 Peaps the other day was even saying all he was was reputation and what else was he giving us! ??

If we are patient and let him do his thing we will progress.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

All anyone wants to see is signs of progress and we are seeing that now. There will be bumps in the road but if we all get behind Pearson and the players (let’s not slag youngsters off for one bad game for example) then we will keep progressing. Mid table this season would be good.  

Agreed.

Was saying to a friend earlier, the progress is clear to see in the performances. Swansea last week was an exciting and combative performance albeit we didn't get the result.

5 games played and 7 points. Works out at 60 points ish for the season. That would leave us comfortably mid table which like you say most of us would accept. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

The amount of people after we drew to Blackpool saying he wasn’t the right man, failed at derby, failed in Belgium bla bla bla must be feeling very silly. The impact he’s had on the squad & the difference in how we play from the first kick of this season vs the final kick of last is unreal 

To be fair, with one or two exceptions I think the doubts were couched more as ‘the jury is still out’. Maybe closer to returning its verdict now.
Although we desperately need to put that home run without a win to bed. Looking at out next two you’d have to believe that will happen! 

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I really like him. I like how he says about playing positive football and actually does it!

He obviously has great man management skills and is a great motivator. But all the decisions he is making that impresses me is because of his great knowledge of the game.

He knows what he's doing.

He knows how to build a squad, he has a plan….he’s following that plan, using years of experience and knowledge.

Im sure you watched all / most of the pre-season games.  Once we got past Celtic which was a game of ball-chasing, can’t remember which player it was, but they said they’d done pure fitness work, hadn’t worked on shape, system at all at that point

By game two, Portsmouth, you started to see a bit of it….442/4411, but not much cohesiveness.  By the 3rd game, MKD we saw the integration of the press, and a few patterns of play through the thirds. Exeter was too easy to gain much from apart from Scott and Wells looking very lively. Plymouth I only saw second half, but you saw how we could get down the sides of the CBs, and by Villa, a pretty sterile first half (Palmer lively), but came to life second half with Scott and we created lots without scoring.

From there it’s been more and more apparent we can play a mixed style, either from the back when we can, but via Martin too.  The press has been very good, two up top to share the burden, energy from wide to trigger the full-backs.

It ain’t a rocket science system, but you can see all players bought into it.  Add in decent set piece delivery and it’s easily a middle eight squad.  It’ll come under pressure against the top teams, but it will pick up enough results against the rest.  The belief is there, they understand why they are being asked to play the way they are.

Nige is an established manager and I for one am delighted to see how quickly the players have bought into his methods.

I was expecting a larger number of games before we saw any signs of improvement but the last couple of games including losing to the Jacks have been significantly better than pretty much everything we witnessed in the last few years. 

Winning breeds confidence and in some ways it’s disappointing that the International break is now when City are finally playing some decent stuff - let’s hope City can pick it up again against Preston next game.

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Agreed. It’s not perfect, there’ll be bumps along way and a thrashing here and there, but we looK like a team for the first time in ages. A team that competes. A team with a plan. 

We'll put. It's now building consistency and managing the younger players. All the Players Nige signed are having an impact on and off the field

He seems to have a good rapport with the players, which seems contrary to his reputation. He was laughing and joking with Jay and had him in a mock headlock before he came on as sub today. I think things like that relax the players in what could be a tense period.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He seems to have a good rapport with the players, which seems contrary to his reputation. He was laughing and joking with Jay and had him in a mock headlock before he came on as sub today. I think things like that relax the players in what could be a tense period.

I’d imagine he’s very much able to separate his media persona from being the gaffer and a football person. 

Archived