IGNORED

Arsenal bottom of the premier league

Lanterne Rouge

3 hours ago, patchway ciderred said:

Arsenal were relegated from 1st division in 1912/13

And rather grubbily got themselves elected back into the 1st Division when the division was expanded after WW1. At the expense of Tottenham being relegated in 1919. Mucky history that club, the original franchise, and then Norris' political wrangling as the dust settled after the war. 

If Arsenal continue on this path they’ve been on for last 10 years. Relegation could become a reality in another 3-4 seasons.

I emphasise could as I still expect them to get back on course at some point under the correct manager. They also have some fantastic young players coming through. Again, challenge will be for Arsenal to hold onto the likes of Saka and Smith-Rose. Who I’m sure will generate interest from the top 6 clubs and across Europe. 

Could get a lot worse for Arsenal 

I love this.

Awful club these days, awful fans these days, and a mess of a club.

As a lifelong Bristol City fan with no interest whatsoever in having “a favoured Prem club”, I find this all particularly great when “associates”, “work-colleagues”, or “girlfriends/wifes friends partners”, latch on to a club with the loose reason of “my grandad supported them” or, “I have always followed them”, when the reality is they do not really like football, but took a passing interest in a winning side during the good times, and then get stuck with them and do not really know how to end it.

This is Arsenals time. Loads of plastic 30 somethings who are Bristolian who chose to follow Wengers Invincibles, and are all over the place now.

Lovely stuff.

I think the fact that Arsenal has generated a two page thread on a ‘Bristol City’ fans forum shows how big a club they are.

Shit manager and going through a tough transition but they will be back. Been shit for over 8 years now but still have 4 trophies in the cabinet to show for it. Remind me how many Tottenham have in the last 8 years? Just saying.

9 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

£50m on Brighton's third best CB and £30m on a twice in a row relegated dodgy goalkeeper sums Arsenal right up

Not sure that’s true, voted player of the season last year at Brighton and played every game.

3 relegations in 4 seasons for Ramsdale, in the other he stayed up on the last day of the season 

9 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I love this.

Awful club these days, awful fans these days, and a mess of a club.

As a lifelong Bristol City fan with no interest whatsoever in having “a favoured Prem club”, I find this all particularly great when “associates”, “work-colleagues”, or “girlfriends/wifes friends partners”, latch on to a club with the loose reason of “my grandad supported them” or, “I have always followed them”, when the reality is they do not really like football, but took a passing interest in a winning side during the good times, and then get stuck with them and do not really know how to end it.

This is Arsenals time. Loads of plastic 30 somethings who are Bristolian who chose to follow Wengers Invincibles, and are all over the place now.

Lovely stuff.

I have a mate who grew up in Somerset. His parents are Scottish and Cornish, but he used to claim he was a "lifelong Gooner".

Obviously, he's died then, as in the last two seasons he seems to have shifted his support to Leicester City. :laughcont:

Sums up the plastics.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have a mate who grew up in Somerset. His parents are Scottish and Cornish, but he used to claim he was a "lifelong Gooner".

Obviously, he's died then, as in the last two seasons he seems to have shifted his support to Leicester City. :laughcont:

Sums up the plastics.

Not Arsenal but overheard in Morrisons in Tavistock a few years ago. A conversation between two middle aged blokes, both broad Devonshire, one wearing a Liverpool jacket, the other a Man Utd baseball cap.

Bloke 1: My lot (Liverpool) are doing great. What do you reckon to yours?

Bloke 2: I ain`t bothering this year, they`m rubbish`

3 hours ago, The Hustler said:

I think the fact that Arsenal has generated a two page thread on a ‘Bristol City’ fans forum shows how big a club they are.

Shit manager and going through a tough transition but they will be back. Been shit for over 8 years now but still have 4 trophies in the cabinet to show for it. Remind me how many Tottenham have in the last 8 years? Just saying.

I remember Henry Winter (I think) around the time the media were gushing over Poch at every opportunity, whilst saying Arsenal/Wenger are in his shadow now. Must’ve been 2015/16 time. 

Arsenal won back to back FA Cups and the whole narrative was around how they were done, Arsenal fans didn’t want him anymore, top 4 isn’t a trophy banners etc. Winter just said “back to back FA Cups and Wenger is finished and Poch is the new golden man apparently, He’s won absolutely nothing, so what would they be saying if Poch had won back to back FA Cups and Wenger had won nothing?”

I can genuinely see them struggling to get out of a relegation fight.  I don't think they will go down but they are completely rudderless and it could get really nasty.

It would be interesting to know who is actually buying players for them.  Their signings rarely make sense (Tierney was a good signing).  White being a classic example.  They desperately need leadership, especially in defence and they spunk a huge amount of money on someone relatively inexperienced. Should have gone for Mings/Coady/Mee/Webster/Dunk/Tarkowski.  Someone with Premiership experience to take control of their defence.  

They are massively hampered by their delusion of course.  So they end up 'thinking big' which for them means paying way over the odds for the sort of players who aren't good enough to demand Champions League football or only care about money.

Add to the recruitment is the fact that the manager seems to be some kind of tactical zealot.  Asking players to play in a way they aren't able to do as they aren't top class like he used to coach at Man City.  If he was trying to do this at Watford or Brighton he'd probably have a chance as he'd have a more honest set of pros and less media interest.

Until they accept they are 5th in line in England and are underperforming from that and have a Leicester-type approach to transfers (ie a blend of proven experience with wise buys), they will carry on with their fall.

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I can genuinely see them struggling to get out of a relegation fight.  I don't think they will go down but they are completely rudderless and it could get really nasty.

It would be interesting to know who is actually buying players for them.  Their signings rarely make sense (Tierney was a good signing).  White being a classic example.  They desperately need leadership, especially in defence and they spunk a huge amount of money on someone relatively inexperienced. Should have gone for Mings/Coady/Mee/Webster/Dunk/Tarkowski.  Someone with Premiership experience to take control of their defence.  

They are massively hampered by their delusion of course.  So they end up 'thinking big' which for them means paying way over the odds for the sort of players who aren't good enough to demand Champions League football or only care about money.

Add to the recruitment is the fact that the manager seems to be some kind of tactical zealot.  Asking players to play in a way they aren't able to do as they aren't top class like he used to coach at Man City.  If he was trying to do this at Watford or Brighton he'd probably have a chance as he'd have a more honest set of pros and less media interest.

Until they accept they are 5th in line in England and are underperforming from that and have a Leicester-type approach to transfers (ie a blend of proven experience with wise buys), they will carry on with their fall.

“5th in line”? In what sense? They’re certainly a club with a great history, but don’t belong in the top half at the moment. As “big clubs” currently go, I’d say they’re behind the Manchester clubs, the Liverpool clubs, Chelsea, Tottenham and probably Leicester, with Villa coming up very close in the rear view mirror.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

“5th in line”? In what sense? They’re certainly a club with a great history, but don’t belong in the top half at the moment. As “big clubs” currently go, I’d say they’re behind the Manchester clubs, the Liverpool clubs, Chelsea, Tottenham and probably Leicester, with Villa coming up very close in the rear view mirror.

Don't forget West Ham.

15 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You're saying Rovers have been relegated from the top flight?

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not 100% true

The GAS have never been relegated from the top flight!!!!

54 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes! Bristol frickin' Rovers is one. Ffs! Do try and keep up, mate

Please don't, just don't guys! You know this will be on their forum and listed as one of their "achievements" in the next week or so, now you have pointed this out. 

Archived