IGNORED

Aden Flint

Port Said Red

Made to look like a League 1 player today, of course he will always be a threat in the opposition box with the right delivery just on his size, but his defending has deteriorated since his days with us. It was clear that the team knew how to expose him, both on the ground and in the air.

Couldn't cope with Weimann on the ground, out thought by Martin all around and out jumped by Kalas on almost every occasion they xame together.

I remember posting on here when he went to Boro, that we had probably seen his best days, and I have seen nothing since to dissuade me from that thought since.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Made to look like a League 1 player today, of course he will always be a threat in the opposition box with the right delivery just on his size, but his defending has deteriorated since his days with us. It was clear that the team knew how to expose him, both on the ground and in the air.

Couldn't cope with Weimann on the ground, out thought by Martin all around and out jumped by Kalas on almost every occasion they xame together.

I remember posting on here when he went to Boro, that we had probably seen his best days, and I have seen nothing since to dissuade me from that thought since.

Just watched the highlights and his vitriolic verbal volley at his own keeper, as Weimann skinned him for the opening goal had me grinning.

I think we had Aden at his best, and he seems to have become a worse footballer but largely more self-aware and unlikeable in turn.

I will always remember the Aden Flint that was a colossus in Cotts masterpiece side. That’ll do me.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Always had trouble against strikers who can drag him short and spin him in behind.

Admitted in the past that Martin was his hardest opponent.

So Martin and Weimann together probably his worst nightmare!

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I mean he scored 4 league goals in two games so he is still a real threat. I expected them to be better at set pieces and more dominant in the air but really we limited them and Flint.

Williams talked on Robinstv how they set up to go big at the near post in the hope that Atkinson, Kalas and Baker woukd win the first ball.  Typically the fullback is the “first contact” but they changed that today.

Bentley claimed a couple, punched a couple in what was probably one of his better displays commanding his box.

So a little kudos to the coaching staff for setting us up well.

Its said that "a picture paints a thousand words" and that one of Webster cheering the winner at the Riverside a few seasons ago with Flint in the foreground said it all.

Flint's best time was when he was with us. I prefer to remember him for that. 

Flint was at his absolute best with us in the league 1 championship winning season but has made life changing money since then from signing on fees and wage increases he’s was great for us but is in many ways a limited footballer who has made the best of his talent and for a player who came into the pro game late has had an incredible career. Not always the most friendly of guys to chat to but in some respects I think because he is a pretty shy bloke. Just remember how good he was for us and let him carry on taking around 25k a week from one of our rivals 

4 minutes ago, martnewts said:

Flint was at his absolute best with us in the league 1 championship winning season but has made life changing money since then from signing on fees and wage increases he’s was great for us but is in many ways a limited footballer who has made the best of his talent and for a player who came into the pro game late has had an incredible career. Not always the most friendly of guys to chat to but in some respects I think because he is a pretty shy bloke. Just remember how good he was for us and let him carry on taking around 25k a week from one of our rivals 

Good post this mate and spot on.

Lived near him for a few years and always nice enough but never that forthcoming and why should he be.

I think we had the best Aden Flint and made a massive profit. Him and Morrison today were horrible together. Probably do each other no favours as I think Aden is the type of chap that flourishes with positive people around him.

4 minutes ago, martnewts said:

Cannot disagree with this and good luck to him on the money he is pulling in. When he had a City shirt on he was quality at both ends of the park for me. The Walsall hat-trick and Swindle 3 0 on Easter Monday with the No, no, no comment will always put him up there. 

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I always think of his goal line clearance against Man City, incredible ?

Yes, and his performances in both boxes on numerous occasions will always make him memorable for me in a red shirt.

Clubs make players mind, and he had some good lads around him here, and he was in that central player inner-sanctum.

Oddly, and abnormally good business from us. The timing of the sale and value was spot-on.

Thought he was petulant and clunky today. Martin got to him early mentally I think. Clever is Chris Martin, just need to manage his game-time right.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Always had trouble against strikers who can drag him short and spin him in behind.

Williams talked on Robinstv how they set up to go big at the near post in the hope that Atkinson, Kalas and Baker woukd win the first ball.  Typically the fullback is the “first contact” but they changed that today.

Bentley claimed a couple, punched a couple in what was probably one of his better displays commanding his box.

I was also very impressed with our winning of the 'second' ball all afternoon yesterday. We were also well positioned that if we couldn't win it then any Cardiff threat from it was immediately snuffed out.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

100% Dave. I had exactly the same thought. Even though we may have had the best of Flint, even with us we knew he was vulnerable to someone running at or behind him. 
And it was noticeable how well we got to every ball first and got it outside the box first time, with Bentley having a clear part in that plan too; for once he knew when to come and what to do. No chance of a ping pong starting in the box - other than one time on the ground of course! I made their goal one where we had the last four touches before it went in!!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Flint was good for us, but I always suspected that his likeability and cult status after the “no no no” interview probably elevated his reputation here beyond his actually ability.

Agreed. The back 3 formation also suited him, having Williams and Ayling next to him really helped him out. He's always been a player with extreme strengths and extreme weaknesses. 

I think our League Cup run was a double edged sword for Flint. It raised his profile to a degree where he got a good move to Middlesbrough and then Cardiff and will have done well out of that.

But the attention it drew to him led to clubs paying him more attention and sussing out his weaknesses.

He is a good player but, even during his last season with us, teams were starting to learn that he was extremely vulnerable to pace in behind him.

To a degree, I think it is on managers to build their teams tactically to avoid that clear a weakness in one of their players being exploited but I do think what we saw yesterday was us exploiting the limitations Flint always had to his game. 

I liked Flint for City, but his issue aside from his obvious lack of pace and mobility is his defensive heading. Constantly when he heads the ball at the back it is to no one and not away from danger, whereas when we had Webster, now Kalas, Atkinson and Baker they usually head it to a Red shirt or away from danger. 

Flint was terrible at just heading it but with little direction, but absolutely deadly in the penalty area.

Flint was brilliant for us. End of.

Pack was decent too.

Infact, most of Cotts team were and remain legends.

It’s what followed after, on and off the field that I reflect on with despair.

But, at last, we now have a proper manager and backroom. Good times will come again.

47 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I liked Flint for City, but his issue aside from his obvious lack of pace and mobility is his defensive heading. Constantly when he heads the ball at the back it is to no one and not away from danger, whereas when we had Webster, now Kalas, Atkinson and Baker they usually head it to a Red shirt or away from danger. 

Flint was terrible at just heading it but with little direction, but absolutely deadly in the penalty area.

I’ve never understood why some see Flint as some kind of legend. The guy was and still is a throwback to the 70s a ‘head it and kick it’ merchant - a very one dimensional player with very little footballing ability.

That said he’s done remarkably well financially thru the game and made the type of money he’d have taken a lifetime tarmacing the roads.

Flint has an amusing side to his personality and it’s that that has endeared him to some of our fans.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never understood why some see Flint as some kind of legend. The guy was and still is a throwback to the 70s a ‘head it and kick it’ merchant - a very one dimensional player with very little footballing ability.

That said he’s done remarkably well financially thru the game and made the type of money he’d have taken a lifetime tarmacing the roads.

Flint has an amusing side to personality and it’s that that has endeared him to some of our fans.

You say you don't understand why he was a legend, then list the precise reasons why he was. Lots of people still hanker for those days, and they also like a player who on the face of it could be any of us. It enhances that "it could have been me" fantasy.

23 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

One of our best signings of modern times, improved year on year and gave us a huge amount of effort and application. Saved LJ in his first season. Made us a load of money. Like every player (at this level), he has limitations, but it is who you pair a player like Flint with that counts. I see no need to be on here slagging the chap off , it happens all the time with our ex players. If all of the signings we made over the last 20 years had given us as much as Flint we would have walked to the Prem and have a full bank account  Was Morrison any better ? 

Thanks Flinty, enjoy the last years of your career. Alfreton Town to a great career . 

100%.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Flint has an amusing side to personality and it’s that that has endeared him to some of our fans.

A key player in the L1 title winning team with min goals scored against in a mean defence whilst contributing 18 goals (18 goals from centre half!) of his own at the other end, incl a hat trick. Not quite as limited as you portray.

You're always going to see players lose pace as they move into their 30s and Flinty is a big unit - he never had that much in the first place!

But he was great for us - and to dismiss him as L1 standard does him a great disservice.

Few Centre Backs will have scored nearly 60 goals in a 13-year professional career, as he has.

And more to the point, he is a warrior. He encouraged and lifted up the players around him and gave us 100% effort 100% of the time.

Fortunately, yesterday, we were really on our game, so he was more of a worrier than a warrior for Cardiff!!

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

One of our best signings of modern times, improved year on year and gave us a huge amount of effort and application. Saved LJ in his first season. Made us a load of money. Like every player (at this level), he has limitations, but it is who you pair a player like Flint with that counts. I see no need to be on here slagging the chap off , it happens all the time with our ex players. If all of the signings we made over the last 20 years had given us as much as Flint we would have walked to the Prem and have a full bank account  Was Morrison any better ? 

Thanks Flinty, enjoy the last years of your career. Alfreton Town to a great career . 

My post certainly wasn't intended to belittle his achievements whilst with us, he was talismanic and I appreciated him as much as anyone. There was a thread in the Transfer Forum suggesting he was being targeted by Ipswich before the season started, I was sceptical about that  but having seen him yesterday,  I could understand why. He is not the player he was with us, he will be increasingly found out at this level and Mick is going to have to decide whether he warrants his position on his attacking threat alone.

1 minute ago, BanburyRed said:

A key player in the L1 title winning team with min goals scored against in a mean defence whilst contributing 18 goals (18 goals from centre half!) of his own at the other end, incl a hat trick. Not quite as limited as you portray.

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

I never rated Flint simply because of his limited ball playing ability. Just compare him to Webster who imo was and is a proper CB…………:dunno:

Archived