IGNORED

Aden Flint

Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Lots of boos. More so for Pack from what I heard but both got plenty. 

I never can understand booing former players - unless they left us in a contentious way or have dissed us retrospectively.   Neither of those did.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I never can understand booing former players - unless they left us in a contentious way or have dissed us retrospectively.   Neither of those did.

Agree but think it was more just a tool for our supporters to back our team and wind them up, as opposed to anything sinister towards them, if that makes sense. I’d say it worked as well to be fair. Pack especially looked a bit perturbed by it I thought.  

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

Sorry, just to check you're saying Aden Flint, currently in his seventh consecutive season at championship level for four different clubs had a ceiling at L1?

I thought the big man looked ok today up against a well drilled City front two. 
He's had a decent career since he was in non league football and is still playing championship football after it looked like he might start to drop down the leagues .  Good luck to him making as much money out of the game as possible as your a long time retired . 

Just now, shelts said:

I thought the big man looked ok today up against a well drilled City front two. 
He's had a decent career since he was in non league football and is still playing championship football after it looked like he might start to drop down the leagues .  Good luck to him making as much money out of the game as possible as your a long time retired . 

Absolutely right.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

You say you don't understand why he was a legend, then list the precise reasons why he was. Lots of people still hanker for those days, and they also like a player who on the face of it could be any of us. It enhances that "it could have been me" fantasy.

Absolutely nailed it, PSR.  And the 'No, no, no' got him respect from other fans as well as ours too.  None of your media training BS, just told it as it was.

As someone else said, he's done remarkably well with his talents and I don't begrudge him taking the opportunity to maximise his earnings especially as he came late to the game.

Bit of shame he ended up at Cardiff but with his mate Pack there, and after a difficult time at Boro who could blame him.   

Wish home well on a personal level, but obviously hope Cardiff fail miserably.

His performance against Brighton on the last day of the season when we won 1-0 was one of the best I've seen of any defender at city, even got a standing ovation from a packed Amex. 

Deluded if you think he was only good enough to play league 1.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

One of our best signings of modern times, improved year on year and gave us a huge amount of effort and application. Saved LJ in his first season. Made us a load of money. Like every player (at this level), he has limitations, but it is who you pair a player like Flint with that counts. I see no need to be on here slagging the chap off , it happens all the time with our ex players. If all of the signings we made over the last 20 years had given us as much as Flint we would have walked to the Prem and have a full bank account  Was Morrison any better ? 

Thanks Flinty, enjoy the last years of your career. Alfreton Town to a great career . 

Horses for courses though, don’t you think BW?

As a league 1 signing I’d agree one of the best. Not expensive, outstanding at that level and - against many expectations, mine included - demonstrated that he could hold his own at Championship level. But it’s at that level that those limitations become more exposed too. 

But as a Championship signing, I’d argue that Webster was better; again not expensive, outstanding at that higher level and holding his own in the Prem. 

In terms of effort and application alone 11 signings like Flint may have got us into the Prem, but I’m not sure they’d have given us the quality to get there. 11 signings like Webster would have done though. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never understood why some see Flint as some kind of legend. The guy was and still is a throwback to the 70s a ‘head it and kick it’ merchant - a very one dimensional player with very little footballing ability.

That said he’s done remarkably well financially thru the game and made the type of money he’d have taken a lifetime tarmacing the roads.

Flint has an amusing side to his personality and it’s that that has endeared him to some of our fans.

That’s absolute tosh Robbored.

Far too easy to look at football ability one-dimensionally, is defending not football ability?  Is heading not football ability?  Is scoring volleys like Sheff Utd (a) on Sky not football ability.  Is charging forward v Forest or Boro (can’t remember which) and chipping a delicate assist not football ability?

He was quite capable on the ball for a CB.  He was no Webster, but how many are / were.  His biggest weakness, like most big’uns was on the turn.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

I never rated Flint simply because of his limited ball playing ability. Just compare him to Webster who imo was and is a proper CB…………:dunno:

Blimey…..your shit-tinted glasses for Flint need a wipe ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s my opinion - no need to call me clueless because you happen not to agree.

It’s a clueless opinion though ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit harsh Dave. Flint, whilst superior to most in the air was, and still is very limited with the ball on the floor. Definitely a more old school CB, and whilst he did a job for us, I wouldn't go as far to say he was amazing. 

Just now, P'head Red said:

Bit harsh Dave. Flint, whilst superior to most in the air was, and still is very limited with the ball on the floor. Definitely a more old school CB, and whilst he did a job for us, I wouldn't go as far to say he was amazing. 

No, he’s genuinely talking crap.

And I genuinely believe Flint wasn’t as limited as many make out, just that his aerial ability was so good it took away from that he was ok on the deck.  LJ in fairness improved that part of his game.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t flatter him by calling it an opinion. If someone claims League 1 is the level of a player who has played regularly in the Championship then that is not a wrong opinion. It is someone being factually incorrect.

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

A key player in the L1 title winning team with min goals scored against in a mean defence whilst contributing 18 goals (18 goals from centre half!) of his own at the other end, incl a hat trick. Not quite as limited as you portray.

Totally agree - although he “only” scored 14 goals in our promotion season - an incredible achievement for a centre half 

Flint is limited, like all players at this level. His strengths and weaknesses are just a little clearer than other players, perhaps.

Robbored is clueless. Saying a player’s ceiling is league 1 would be fair for players like Matty Taylor - not for Flint, who has played hundreds of games at championship level, for several teams and is still good enough. Mick wouldn’t play him otherwise. Fortunately for us, we got the better of him yesterday.

Archived