IGNORED

Aden Flint

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

I never rated Flint simply because of his limited ball playing ability. Just compare him to Webster who imo was and is a proper CB…………:dunno:

He was more comfortable at L1 level but for me he’s done enough to be considered a Championship standard defender. 

I recall when we got promoted a lot of posters were worried whether he would be mobile enough for the Championship.  Seven seasons at this level says yes, he is mobile enough.  

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

I never rated Flint simply because of his limited ball playing ability. Just compare him to Webster who imo was and is a proper CB…………:dunno:

He was more comfortable at L1 level but for me he’s done enough to be considered a Championship standard defender. 

I recall when we got promoted a lot of posters were worried whether he would be mobile enough for the Championship.  Seven seasons at this level says yes, he is mobile enough.  

Just now, Wiltshire robin said:

Just seen on Facebook a young supporter of ours waited after the game to meet flint yesterday but flint just looked at him and blanked him numerous times while signing other kids stuff . Sounds like a real arrogant ***** tbh not the first time he’s done stuff like this judging by the comments 

The few times I’ve been in the same room as him I’d say he’s a complex character.  Life and soul one time, withdrawn loner the next.

10 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Well….Flint was badly caught out for Weimann’s first goal and almost put him thru again with a poor header. Now I don’t watch any of Cardiff’s games other than goal highlights so none of really know just how many times Flint get exposed.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well….Flint was badly caught out for Weimann’s first goal and almost put him thru again with a poor header. Now I don’t watch any of Cardiff’s games other than goal highlights so none of really know just how many times Flint get exposed.

As I said in my original post, I don't think he is good enough anymore, but you seem to be suggesting that this means he never was, which is patently and demonstrably not true.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I never can understand booing former players - unless they left us in a contentious way or have dissed us retrospectively.   Neither of those did.

I get the argument for not giving them stick, but it’s a derby, they’re part of the opposition. Why would fans not make the atmosphere as hostile as possible? I’m sure they’ll recover from a few boos. Two good servants of the club, ultimately went to our rivals.

1 hour ago, The Wild Bunch said:

A number of fans also booed Pato.  Are they going to boo Smith, Reid and Bryan later this season?

I’d give them stick during the game, give them applause at the end, but that’s just me. Nothing personal, I just don’t really understand giving former players a warm welcome as if they’re not going out there to beat us. Can thank them for their time at city at full time.

48 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s all pantomime though isn’t it, I’m sure the ex players don’t go home crying about it saying ‘why have they turned on me”

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Seems a bit unfair to compare a solid PL player against a solid Championship player. And Flint probably still scores goals at 3x the rate of our entirte backline ...

2 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

A number of fans also booed Pato.  Are they going to boo Smith, Reid and Bryan later this season?

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t boo Reid , had one good season and then moved to our local rivals . Yes he come out the academy but he’s a Liverpool fan not Bristol city I can’t think of another club that would applaud a player after moving to there local rivals no matter the financial situation involved 

Booing past players just seems a bit daft to me. Especially if they've given great service to the club and were a bit of a hero during their time here, like Flinty.

I don't think it particularly builds a hostile atmosphere. As has been said, I doubt the players concerned are particularly affected by it, but if they think about it at all it probably is (yet) another thing that makes them reflect that many fans are nondies. 

It's also some inconsistent: some players have been clapped on their return to AG with rivals, others have been booed.

The fact Flint and Pack were in Cardiff shirts is irrelevant: Flint's from Derbyshire, Pack's from Portsmouth. Cardiff are not their local rivals.

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s all pantomime though isn’t it, I’m sure the ex players don’t go home crying about it saying ‘why have they turned on me”

Yeah it was mostly very much tongue in cheek I think - people were just being giddy on the atmosphere (which I thought was fantastic overall as an aside). Nothing to get hung up about. Pack applauded at the end so evidently wasn’t that upset by it. 

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Made to look like a League 1 player today, of course he will always be a threat in the opposition box with the right delivery just on his size, but his defending has deteriorated since his days with us. It was clear that the team knew how to expose him, both on the ground and in the air.

Couldn't cope with Weimann on the ground, out thought by Martin all around and out jumped by Kalas on almost every occasion they xame together.

I remember posting on here when he went to Boro, that we had probably seen his best days, and I have seen nothing since to dissuade me from that thought since.

Never rated him defensively in the championship . He gets done time & again by quick footed players . Gets dragged out of position easily as seen with our first goal. Always remember fans say about him sliding in for a last ditch tackle etc. The reason he had to do that was because he was out of position in the first place. Massively overrated by loads of our fans. 

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Never rated him defensively in the championship . He gets done time & again by quick footed players . Gets dragged out of position easily as seen with our first goal. Always remember fans say about him sliding in for a last ditch tackle etc. The reason he had to do that was because he was out of position in the first place. Massively overrated by loads of our fans. 

Spot on Stevie. I’ve been saying pretty much the same thing and got slagged off for my opinion.

Glad I’m not the only one.

Problem is that too many of Flints disciples just can’t see the weaknesses in his game.

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Weimanns touch was slack for the first which caused the confusion between flint and the keeper, in this case it fell for weimann who put it in. You would expect weimann to be slightly quicker on the turn because hes smaller, but that doesnt take away from what flint was for us in my view.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Weimanns touch was slack for the first which caused the confusion between flint and the keeper, in this case it fell for weimann who put it in. You would expect weimann to be slightly quicker on the turn because hes smaller, but that doesnt take away from what flint was for us in my view.

He completely lost Flint regardless of his first touch . Wiemann dragged him up the pitch then span in behind 

Spot on Stevie. I’ve been saying pretty much the same thing and got slagged off for my opinion.

Problem is that too many of Flints disciples just can’t see the weaknesses in his game.

Yes Flint has weaknesses. If he didn't he wouldn't of been playing for us and he'd be in the Prem. 

He is a club legend because of what he achieved here. Part of a squad to do the double as well our terrific Cup run. 

The issue with your opinion is that its wrong. You say he's not a championship CB, but he's playing his 8th season at this level now. If he wasn't a championship CB he'd not be playing at this level still. He has his faults, he's declining but to call him a league one CB is quite frankly deluded. 

Your issue is that you can’t see any strengths.  Pretty much all of us who’ve posted on this thread have given balance in our opinions recognising his strong points and weak points.

You said he’s a Lg1 player, which is ludicrous.  This is his 7th season in the Championship, twice transferred for £7m on both occasions to teams who at the time were upgrades on us.

Can't believe Flinty is being called out tbh. The right pro in the right position at the right time - round peg, round hole, square peg, square hole - call it what you like. But was right for us in L1, those performances got him noticed and moves to Boro & Cardiff have developed. No real surprise. A proper defender 1st n foremost. Someone that MM at Cardiff could mould in the style of himself. His bank account says he isn't a failure at Championship level. And not too many people were calling for him to be moved on during the L1 campaign. Not least calling out his deficiencies. Arguably as the years go on, Flinty will lose some assets but will develop others elsewhere. Good luck to him. I really don't understand the animosity towards him. Which no-one would say to his face!

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your issue is that you can’t see any strengths.  Pretty much all of us who’ve posted on this thread have given balance in our opinions recognising his strong points and weak points.

You said he’s a Lg1 player, which is ludicrous.  This is his 7th season in the Championship, twice transferred for £7m on both occasions to teams who at the time were upgrades on us.

Flints strengths are obvious - his height and build which enables him get to highballs better than most and to block and muscle opposition strikers. It’s an asset in both boxes - hence the number of goals he’s bagged.

Baker is roughly the same height as Flint but is a far better footballer. Positionally he’s far more aware and considerably more mobile and whilst he doesn’t get on the score sheet I’d rather have him in defence than Flint any day.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Baker is roughly the same height as Flint but is a far better footballer. Positionally he’s far more aware and considerably more mobile and whilst he doesn’t get on the score sheet I’d rather have him in defence than Flint any day.

Nathan Baker - 6 ft, 2 inches

Aden Flint - 6ft, 5 1/2 inches.

I know you probably tell your missus that the extra inches don’t make a difference but they do ?

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Flints strengths are obvious - his height and build which enables him get to highballs better than most and to block and muscle opposition strikers. It’s an asset in both boxes - hence the number of goals he’s bagged.

Much more reasoned. ?

Flint was always better than L1 but I never rated him at this level defensively and as others have said there is something about his personality that I didn't take to.

Loads fell for the cult hero stuff at the time and I couldn't believe at least half our fanbase thought he was better than Webster. Equally though it's sad that he's getting booed/abused on social media. Probably the same characters.

Gave us his best years, lives locally, he should only have respect really.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

He completely lost Flint regardless of his first touch . Wiemann dragged him up the pitch then span in behind 

Disagree slightly. Weimann did lose Flint easy peasy (due to a bad touch). The keeper should have come out and claimed or blocked weimann but was too slow. Flint was right to be cross at the keeper; it was his error not Flints.

As for the second goal. That was just pure class from AW.

6 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Just seen on Facebook a young supporter of ours waited after the game to meet flint yesterday but flint just looked at him and blanked him numerous times while signing other kids stuff . Sounds like a real arrogant ***** tbh not the first time he’s done stuff like this judging by the comments 

Contentious comment, I know. 

He’s just lost a derby, against his old club… I can understand why he might have been a bit salty. Would fans on here have been too bothered if he did the same to a Swindon fan back in our promotion season? 

Sometimes I do feel for players, who are often, and wrongly, seen to be the panacea for people’s problems. 

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nathan Baker - 6 ft, 2 inches

Aden Flint - 6ft, 5 1/2 inches.

I know you probably tell your missus that the extra inches don’t make a difference but they do ?

Yeah, and flint has probably got about 10 times the number of career goals as baker, and 3 times the accrued transfer values.

Archived