IGNORED

Aden Flint

Port Said Red

11 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Disagree slightly. Weimann did lose Flint easy peasy (due to a bad touch). The keeper should have come out and claimed or blocked weimann but was too slow. Flint was right to be cross at the keeper; it was his error not Flints.

As for the second goal. That was just pure class from AW.

He lost Flint long before he even took that first touch. It was his “one for you, one for me” movement in pulling an obviously hesitant Flint towards the ball, creating the space in behind, before spinning and running into it. 

4 minutes ago, SBB said:

He lost Flint long before he even took that first touch. It was his “one for you, one for me” movement in pulling an obviously hesitant Flint towards the ball, creating the space in behind, before spinning and running into it. 

Beautiful wasn’t it?

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never understood why some see Flint as some kind of legend. The guy was and still is a throwback to the 70s a ‘head it and kick it’ merchant - a very one dimensional player with very little footballing ability.

That said he’s done remarkably well financially thru the game and made the type of money he’d have taken a lifetime tarmacing the roads.

Flint has an amusing side to his personality and it’s that that has endeared him to some of our fans.

Rubbish, if he is just a ‘ head it and kick it’ merchant then how come he scored so many goals and is still playing in the fifth most competitive division in the world .

Flint was excellent for us and no one, other than you,  doubts his talismanic affect on the team. 

A clown he is not and if being funny was the way to becoming a City legend then how do you explain Watkins or Paterson ?

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Flint was good for us, but I always suspected that his likeability and cult status after the “no no no” interview probably elevated his reputation here beyond his actually ability.

1,000,000%

Did really well for us and absolutely nothing against Flint, but I never held him as high esteem as many others on here and I think that interview post Swindon mixed with his incredible goal tally that season clouded some people's views.

11 minutes ago, SBB said:

It really was. The movement along with ZV recognising it and then executing the pass was my favourite bit of play from the game.  

I’m gonna guess that Weimann knows 1) exactly what he’s doing and 2) the timing of the spin is the exact point Zak gets the return ball from Massengo under control.  The fact that Andi has spun and Flint is still moving forward expecting a ball into feet is poetry, almost comedic too.  It buys Andi 5 yards on Flint, even the missed control allows him to sprint away after that.  Vyner’s part, as you say, not to be underestimated, little undercut pass so it lands with a bit of backspin on it.

Flint done up like a kipper!

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Flint was always better than L1 but I never rated him at this level defensively and as others have said there is something about his personality that I didn't take to.

Loads fell for the cult hero stuff at the time and I couldn't believe at least half our fanbase thought he was better than Webster. Equally I though it's sad that he's getting booed/abused on social media. Probably the same characters.

Gave us his best years, lives locally, he should only have respect really.

That’s the most amusing comment that I’ve read on here for ages……….……:rofl2br:

Webster is a Rolls Royce and Flint an articulated lorry.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s the most amusing comment that I’ve read on here for ages……….……:rofl2br:

Webster is a Rolls Royce and Flint an articulated lorry.

I agree with the premise that Flint was limited - albeit effective at the correct level - but it’s fairly rare you comment on the players at all. Why Flint? 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

L1 was his ceiling where he was colossus heading and kicking balls that we’re all so common lower down the leagues.

I never rated Flint simply because of his limited ball playing ability. Just compare him to Webster who imo was and is a proper CB…………:dunno:

**** me, if you're holding Webster (who took a season to get bought for £20m plus) as championship standard then no defender in this division is championship standard

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m gonna guess that Weimann knows 1) exactly what he’s doing and 2) the timing of the spin is the exact point Zak gets the return ball from Massengo under control.  The fact that Andi has spun and Flint is still moving forward expecting a ball into feet is poetry, almost comedic too.  It buys Andi 5 yards on Flint, even the missed control allows him to sprint away after that.  Vyner’s part, as you say, not to be underestimated, little undercut pass so it lands with a bit of backspin on it.

Flint done up like a kipper!

We used to call Vyner’s pass a ‘Souness’, as you said adding the backspin, lovely.

I spent most of my playing time up front, for a spin in behind, we were taught to time the first moment towards the ball just before the passing player takes his touch. By the time he’s looking down at the ball, I should already be on my bike. The passing player shouldn’t see the spin until the ball left has left his foot. 
I giggle to myself now, when I see the ball over the top but the striker came short or vice versa, because I would get absolutely hammered for my timing when that happened. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree with the premise that Flint was limited - albeit effective at the correct level - but it’s fairly rare you comment on the players at all. Why Flint? 

Because imo Flint is seriously overrated by some on here. Plus…..Flint is not the first ability that I’ve questioned - Jackie was the first iirc……another seriously overrated player who scored a whopping 7 goals for City……….:cool2:

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because imo Flint is seriously overrated by some on here. Plus…..Flint is not the first ability that I’ve questioned - Jackie was the first iirc……another seriously overrated player who scored a whopping 7 goals for City……….:cool2:

I am with you on Jackie,the bloke took the piss out of our club.

It was all a bit beneath him to turn it on for little old Bristol City. 

Yet because he was naturally and unbelievably talented and a showman he has somehow become a City legend. He wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in Alan Dick’s team.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t think you can question Jacki’s ability. 

His attitude and willingness to deploy that ability on anything approaching a regular basis - absolutely, his ability no. 

3 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Disagree slightly. Weimann did lose Flint easy peasy (due to a bad touch). The keeper should have come out and claimed or blocked weimann but was too slow. Flint was right to be cross at the keeper; it was his error not Flints.

As for the second goal. That was just pure class from AW.

I’m on about before the touch . If you look at the replay , AW makes a run infield sucking Flint in then  spins behind  which created the space 

His goal tally hid his faults. But some of the disrespect the bloke is getting on this thread is unbelievable. 

Miserable bastard with defensive limitation? Sure.

Double winner, Iconic interview, loads of goals and always put his body on the line? Absolutely. 

People on here are always quick to forget that it's not us grumpy old gits that decide a players legendary status. It's the kids in the playground attempting rabona volleys they saw their centre half score. Or an outrageous goal line clearance away in a cup semi final at the best team in country.

(The fact he now plays for Cardiff does diminish it somewhat however.)

9 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

His goal tally hid his faults. But some of the disrespect the bloke is getting on this thread is unbelievable. 

Double winner, Iconic interview, loads of goals and always put his body on the line? Absolutely. 

People on here are always quick to forget that it's not us grumpy old gits that decide a players legendary status. It's the kids in the playground attempting rabona volleys they saw their centre half score. Or an outrageous goal line clearance away in a cup semi final at the best team in country.

Flint was brilliant for us, a small minority on this thread have forgotten that.

But he’s moved on now and so have we. Though some of the posts on this thread are embarrassing.

21 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Every member of that 2015 are/will be legends . A overused term generally but our first title winning team since 1955 (I think) 

it was noticeable however how Flint got dragged out of position bt intelligent quick strikers once he got into the championship . That’s not a dig at him . It’s a fact . 

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Yeah, and flint has probably got about 10 times the number of career goals as baker, and 3 times the accrued transfer values.

Your ‘accrued transfer values’ point is ridiculous - Baker was with Villa from the age of 13 - he worked his way through their academy to play over 100 premier league games for Villa whilst earning 16 England caps at various age brackets along the way ... top players who develop in this way are obviously not going to be transferred around for exorbitant fees, yet you chose Flint’s transfer fees as a stick with which to beat Baker - it’s not comparing like with like ... 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

.... and after oft stating you “don’t comment on ex players” - here you go again!! ✌️??

13 hours ago, lenred said:

Lots of boos. More so for Pack from what I heard but both got plenty. 

Correct fact but soooo wrong IMHO on both counts. Neither player has ever, afaik, had anything but good things to say about our club so the booing was really crass IMHO.

A 'Cardiff get battered everywhere they go' supporting mate of mine said Marlon went over and applauded the City support, is that true? If he did, class from MP.

No reason to boo either player.

I was at a family wedding yesterday and was a tad wobbly by midnight so have been catching up today! :drunk2:'Cheer up Holloway etc etc' (loads of gas at the wedding). ;)

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thanks Dave . Out of interest. The pass combination map you did earlier. Would that be the same or similar to our average player positions ?
I wonder because we looked very compact  

Yes, the pass networks are average positions that each player made their passes from.  They have their uses, e.g. player combinations, but also their limitations.

Take Matty James and Andi Weimann.

C1DE8B95-FE64-4040-AF06-8F0743313E7C.jpeg.53bd8b0c787c7cf9084a985c6010c8f5.jpeg

D572ADAC-A344-4F97-9396-E5DA5A986C63.jpeg.63d2791198e3c9dfe9708a4b20973bf1.jpeg

An average doesn’t do them justice when you look the different positions they made their passes from, nor do they give pass type, which ones were successful etc etc.

4ECCA760-8389-4A59-BA55-C9E80339B4F6.jpeg.2a8fd39d414597589cf8ab3b76f85cce.jpeg

Above is all Weimann’s actions.

So, all carry a caveat, and why they shouldn’t be the be-all and end-all.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here you go SSN….exactly right.

Looks to me that if Flint followed to the point where you paused the clip, but then held the position instead of going the extra 5 yards or so he'd have been in a decent position to deal with the pass.

He's tried to be too tight to Weimann, and so when Weimann turns he's already past and has the pace advantage as well.

Great turn by Andi and as you say his first run completely baits Aden.

Flint was often MotM in League 1. Cotts and then Lj both got the very best out of a decent defender and both used him well up front when needed. 

Noone will forget the night he partied with us at  Bradford, or his goals in the 8-2 last game v Walsall but we have bought and sold really well since then and I'd have Webster, Kalas, Atkinson any day. 

If we ever had a testimonial match and he was playing, he'd receive applause from me but we have moved on in the Championship to better expectations. 

Archived