IGNORED

Gregor MacGregor returns

Shtanley

12 minutes ago, Pezo said:

One of my favourite episodes ever I think, the result obviously helps. I really like Gregor being on and think he adds something different because of his stories of interactions with/at the club.

He’s quite funny isn’t he.

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Exactly, but I have seen the quote attributed to AL on numerous occasions over the years; the difference, of course, being the words ‘Please’ and ‘Fool’.

Oh yes, I see what you mean

https://abrahamlincolnassociation.org/you-can-fool-all-of-the-people-lincoln-never-said-that/

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Proposed categories of own goal:

1. Unfortunate - those OGs that just happen, and there's not much anyone can do. No one is particularly at fault and there's little particularly notable to discuss. Often these result from a cross and the defender just doesn't get the clearance quite right.
  2. Freak - something mad and unusual has happened here, or it's all a bit chaotic, maybe someone is at fault, but it's hard to say who, and it would be nigh on impossible to replicate it. Several ricochets have probably occurred (Kompany).
  3. Comedy - reserved for those that involve defenders ending up in pain - because pain is funny (Bale).
  4. Embarrassing - this one is definitely someone's fault, and they really just want the ground to open up and swallow them up. The classic would be a defender plays a gentle pass back to the keeper, who then fails to trap the ball with his foot (Enckleman).
  5. Unbelievable - a defender has tried something ludicrously audacious and stuck it in his own net. You literally could not replicate it if you tried 1,000 times (Popovic). 

I'd say Saturday's was either unfortunate or freak, possibly a combination of the two. Many OGs probably combine elements of two or more of the above.

Enjoy this vid, the names in brackets above are all in here.

So good. More research, synergy and effort than we’ve put into the ‘cider with’ episodes tbf. 

40 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

For many reasons, Abraham Lincoln was a great man, and should be remembered as such.

Unfortunately, whenever I hear his name, I can’t help but picture his wife in the interview that, of course, never happened.

Well, of course Mrs Lincoln, but apart from that, what did you think of the play?’

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

So good. More research, synergy and effort than we’ve put into the ‘cider with’ episodes tbf. 

I'd possibly add, if I may, one more:

6. Unavoidable - for those where there's nothing you can do about it. Defender and striker both slide for the ball, it goes in off the defender, but the attacker would have scored it if the defender had evaporated.

Possibly a sub category of "Unfortunate", but an important nuance I think.

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

1. Unfortunate - those OGs that just happen, and there's not much anyone can do. No one is particularly at fault and there's little particularly notable to discuss. Often these result from a cross and the defender just doesn't get the clearance quite right.
  2. Freak - something mad and unusual has happened here, or it's all a bit chaotic, maybe someone is at fault, but it's hard to say who, and it would be nigh on impossible to replicate it. Several ricochets have probably occurred (Kompany).
  3. Comedy - reserved for those that involve defenders ending up in pain - because pain is funny (Bale).
  4. Embarrassing - this one is definitely someone's fault, and they really just want the ground to open up and swallow them up. The classic would be a defender plays a gentle pass back to the keeper, who then fails to trap the ball with his foot (Enckleman).
  5. Unbelievable - a defender has tried something ludicrously audacious and stuck it in his own net. You literally could not replicate it if you tried 1,000 times (Popovic). 

I'd say Saturday's was either unfortunate or freak, possibly a combination of the two. Many OGs probably combine elements of two or more of the above.

The thing I think is most unfortunate is how often the own goal is attributed to someone who is completely blameless (like Bents on Saturday)

I'll give you more categories

6. "Stick him up front' if he can finish like that (Jefferson Lerma)

7 Couldn't do that again if he tried (Tony Popovic)

8 Where else did they think it was going? (Rio Ferdinand)

:)

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Is that decision based on the time it takes to add them?  

Yes. Honestly couldn't be bothered, although I'm off work atm I don't have the energy/time to listen through the entire episode. 

People seem to like the rawness, fewer edits and that. 

On 29/08/2021 at 12:29, Shtanley said:

To One Stream in Bristol. Him, me and Pete all discuss the Cardiff win.

Just how good are Weimann and Martin as a duo?

How much improvement have we seen in Massengo? 

LISTEN HERE

Started listening this morning, I'm a little concerned by Gregor's choice of tipple. 

10 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Re: swearing, the bleeps have gone. Which is why it’s noticeable. My dad used to say “you don’t need to swear, be more imaginative”. What a bastard. 

I was listening in the car with my 10 year old!!

Wifey made me turn it off in the end ???

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Ah shit, sorry about that Rob!

I have always found the swearing in OSIB, bleeped or not, to be reasonably appropriate and not gratuitous and it was therefore never much of an issue.

Since you made the concious decision to stop bleeping however, the last couple of episodes seem to have some swearing just for the sake of swearing in them. One line in particular this week ( from your own fine self @Shtanley) included two F-bombs that seemed completely unneccesary and were there just for swearing's sake, if you get my gist.

On 30/08/2021 at 21:50, ExiledAjax said:

Surely the number one type of own goal has to be ‘the Irene’?

An own goal so hilariously bad, at first it looks like it’s going to be a tremendous goal line clearance with the fans shouting “ere we go!”, only for the defender to trip over his own feet and for the ball to go in off his arse, sending the keeper the wrong way. 

Good episode as well by the way @Shtanley! Nice to see your mate Semenyo involved in the second goal. Still need the East End to get that IDLES song going!

Archived