IGNORED

Curtis Fleming

Port Said Red

Before I start, this is in no way a criticism of Downing or especially Simpson, the latter I obviously wish a speedy recovery.

I have noticed a few innovative bits in our play that I have to wonder if they are  coming from Curtis Fleming as they seem a fresh approach.

The first was the way we line up for set pieces into the box, which I first noticed last week against Swansea. It's a sort of hybrid of the zonal and man marking systems, with Kalas Atkinson etc taking up positions on the edge if the box and other players, running blocks pteventing free runs on the ball.

The 2nd was mentioned by Williams in commentary, lining up for corners and long throws with the bigger men at the front post.

3rd is the variety of runs and positions we are taking with attacking set pieces, one in particular where the players stand in a group at the edge of the area and scatter in all directions as the ball is played in.

In open play, there are also seems to be greater emphasis on 2nd ball and recovery of the ball, which is an area we have suffered in for a long time. It seems to me that central players in particular are rarely isolated, making it easier to intercept and lay off, in quick time.

There may be other examples, but these are the ones that come to mind, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they have come in around the same time as CF.

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Before I start, this is in no way a criticism of Downing or especially Simpson, the latter I obviously wish a speedy recovery.

I have noticed a few innovative bits in our play that I have to wonder if they are  coming from Curtis Fleming as they seem a fresh approach.

The first was the way we line up for set pieces into the box, which I first noticed last week against Swansea. It's a sort of hybrid of the zonal and man marking systems, with Kalas Atkinson etc taking up positions on the edge if the box and other players, running blocks pteventing free runs on the ball.

The 2nd was mentioned by Williams in commentary, lining up for corners and long throws with the bigger men at the front post.

3rd is the variety of runs and positions we are taking with attacking set pieces, one in particular where the players stand in a group at the edge of the area and scatter in all directions as the ball is played in.

In open play, there are also seems to be greater emphasis on 2nd ball and recovery of the ball, which is an area we have suffered in for a long time. It seems to me that central players in particular are rarely isolated, making it easier to intercept and lay off, in quick time.

There may be other examples, but these are the ones that come to mind, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they have come in around the same time as CF.

I can only imagine Fleming’s, cough, Fleming’s, cough, cough… training.

There, that’s got it.

1DD780B2-837B-49C4-B401-25D589204205.jpeg

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

At its simplest we now have a “plan” and its being executed. No idea whether it’s Fleming’s influence at all.  My gut feel is that coaches carry out the manager’s instructions in the main….and our current manager is excellent at giving clarity and rationale to them, and they pass it on to the players.  I never bought that “Simpson and Downing are crap coaches” but as a “coaching team” it was a bit of mess.

Re set pieces:

Not forgetting the exquisite delivery from Matty James too.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Part of the ongoing transition under Pearson. Fleming is his choice as his assistant rather than Simpson and Downing who he inherited. Wouldn’t be surprised to see either of those take up positions elsewhere before too long.

Perhaps Paul Simpson is still recuperating? 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Part of the ongoing transition under Pearson. Fleming is his choice as his assistant rather than Simpson and Downing who he inherited. Wouldn’t be surprised to see either of those take up positions elsewhere before too long.

It’s made trickier by Simpson’s illness, I think.

There were rumours that Downing was on Villa’s radar earlier on, but Simpson was unwell at the time, had that not been the case maybe he’d have gone.

From the outside with Cisse on the staff as well, this does look one too many to me.

Certainly made very clear here that Fleming is higher in the pecking order & as you rightly say, NP’s only appointment.

22 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Do we think he's had a pay rise and the 2 England coaches a pay reduction or is this just a title thing?

I'd just say a retitling. Possible pay rise for Fleming but NP seems happy with Downing and Simpson and they seem a lot more involved in the videos.

Given Simpson's illness though and recovery him just being a coach and maybe not travelling with the squad would be a boost for him not having to worry.

Expect it will be a case of Simpson and Downing being let go when contracts run out rather than paying them off to leave sooner and between now and then Pearson will reshape the coaching side as he wants to, Pearson may well be 'happy' to work with them as they're here and they knew players where he didn't but now he's up to speed when he gets the chance to bring in people he wants to I expect he will.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Expect it will be a case of Simpson and Downing being let go when contracts run out rather than paying them off to leave sooner and between now and then Pearson will reshape the coaching side as he wants to, Pearson may well be 'happy' to work with them as they're here and they knew players where he didn't but now he's up to speed when he gets the chance to bring in people he wants to I expect he will.

He could even decide that they are people who work well with him and keep them around. That's just the optimist in me talking though :P

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but how can we *know* that? Fans have no idea what impact coaches make really.

That might be true to some extent, but I think you can tell from the matches when there is a change to the way the team approach certain things, like the ones I mentioned in my original post. The other thing I have noticed, and mentioned elsewhere, is how players are positioning themselves around the penalty to deal with the ball being cut back from the byeline or the care they are taking not to create set piece situations around the box.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That might be true to some extent, but I think you can tell from the matches when there is a change to the way the team approach certain things, like the ones I mentioned in my original post. The other thing I have noticed, and mentioned elsewhere, is how players are positioning themselves around the penalty to deal with the ball being cut back from the byeline or the care they are taking not to create set piece situations around the box.

True - just a bit tenuous to assign said change to a particular coach. I understand what people are saying and have no doubt different coaches can have an impact; just question whether fans themselves can really *know* based on being only able to see a match.

I wonder if Downing or Simpson might transition into Academy roles given their “previous” with England age-groups.  Now they’re in situ would be a shame to see their experience walk out the door.  Now that everyone is at HPC, either could work more closely with Alex Ball.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True - just a bit tenuous to assign said change to a particular coach. I understand what people are saying and have no doubt different coaches can have an impact; just question whether fans themselves can really *know* based on being only able to see a match.

I've been to every game bar the FGR and Middlesbrough games and from what I've seen (bar how awful the Luton game was) we look far more organised than the end of last term and you can see a game plan in most matches. I would like to think Fleming has made a little bit of impact on the organisation side of things.

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Interesting reshuffle. Anyone know any more about Fleming's work at other clubs?

Can see he has been at quite a few, but that could be interpreted as both good and bad.

Most recently he was at Punjab FC for last season as head coach.

They finished 4th in the IPL, he won 6 games out of 15 with them.

Although quite what working in the IPL tells us about anybody is highly debatable. 

49 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I've been to every game bar the FGR and Middlesbrough games and from what I've seen (bar how awful the Luton game was) we look far more organised than the end of last term and you can see a game plan in most matches. I would like to think Fleming has made a little bit of impact on the organisation side of things.

Whilst we are nowhere near "great", as opposed to last year we are now competitive, which is all we can ask for at the moment .

31 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Most recently he was at Punjab FC for last season as head coach.

They finished 4th in the IPL, he won 6 games out of 15 with them.

Although quite what working in the IPL tells us about anybody is highly debatable. 

Looks like you looked at the same Wiki pages as me. :) I couldn't help looking at their current squad, I can understand how they get a couple of English players with Ashley Westwood as Manager, but they also have a Spanish player. There are a lot of nomadic players out there I know, perhaps someone can remind me who the goalkeeper was that wrote a book on it?

Archived