IGNORED

George Tanner Signing CONFIRMED

Red Army 75

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

could a bid have come in for Zac

Imho I doubt it….suspect this has been brewing and with Taylor Moore gone, his wages will’ve freed up some money to go and get this kid.

Im speculating that Hearts will be paying circa £4-5k p.w for Moore, so that’ll cover this kid. £300k over 3, maybe 4 years is not much.

Obviously can’t comment on how good this kid is, but it’s exactly the type of signing we should be looking at.

£300k is nothing, even in a post-virus market. He’s young, came through arguably the best academy in the UK, hungry, quick, and has potential to grow with us or be sold for profit. All sounds good to me and exactly the sort of player we should be after. 

Could be coming in to play left back. ?

Initially a forward, Tanner made seven appearances for Manchester United's under-18 team in 2015–16,[4] and joined the club as an academy scholar in July 2016. After joining the club, he found himself used more as a full-back, and made 27 appearances from left-back in 2016–17.

1 minute ago, tin said:

£300k is nothing, even in a post-virus market. He’s young, came through arguably the best academy in the UK, hungry, quick, and has potential to grow with us or be sold for profit. All sounds good to me and exactly the sort of player we should be after. 

Completely agree all round Tin, 60 league appearances under his belt already too and still only 21. With right back being a position on the pitch we all agree needs strengthening mid to long term and seemingly no-one from our own academy ready to step up in that position currently, this signing makes complete sense!

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is right footed so that would surprise me. Though it worked well for Lahm, Irwin, and more recently Spinazzola for Italy in the Euros. Managers don't seem to often go for right footed left backs. 

I think Pearson rates Dasilva, and Pring is obviously a left back but currently doing a really good job further forward. Might be this kid is capable of coveting either full back side or right wing.

Interesting, reading through the Web according to some articles about his youth career they quote him as left footed.

Started as forward, then left wing, then left back and now shifted to right back. Clearly must be comfortable with both feet. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

sorry, will try to look at making them device specific in future….there is a feature in the software, but I’ve not had time to look at it.

Exeter allegedly turned down. £1m+ for Josh Key from Peterborough. I can’t believe he wouldn’t have been on our radar, and you wonder if the Exeter friendly and loan of Owura is recognition at last that it would be good to build relationships with the Grecian.

£300k is high in this market from Lg2 but if you want them now, it’s a low fee really, especially with wages too.

Yep, he did…he also said he didn’t know if Baker could play LB.  in hindsight I wonder if he’s being economical with the truth.

Don't worry about that, Dave. I'd probably still only understand the blue arrow anyway! ?

I'll admit I know little about the player- and this is a signing that has come out of the blue! The specifics of the player aside...

Out and out positives/grounds for cautious optimism:

• RB
  • Age- Plenty of room for growth, time very much on his side. Example of planning ahead in any case.
  • Background- From Man United academy, a good grounding.
  • Price- Wages and fee should be competitive.
  • Seems to be versatile too from what I've read on here.

Reasons for caution:

• Age- Means he may not hit the ground running.
  • League Two- we've had a mixed track record in recent times from the divisions below- from this League, the PL and overseas too of course! Thinking though specifically off the top of my head, Eisa, Szmodics- League Two. Adelakun, League One, Cundy is the last IIRC of that clutch of signings and still has the chance to make it here. Plus that aside, it's a big leap- you're talking about League Two and much improved though it is, we're talking a leap to perhaps the best 2nd tier division ie best of the Leagues below the top flight in Europe!

Welcome anyway, could turn out to be a real hidden gem? Will watch the video and other footage if it's about too.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

So, with caveat of looking at that video only.

Can pass and tackle with both feet.

Looks strong.

Looks quick enough.

Passing is sharp, accurate and progressive.

I particularly like the tackles, where is up out of the tackle with ball at his feet.

One question has to be "where's he been hiding?" Especially in this day and age of stats, videos and so on.

These lads slip out of big club academies and look to build a career lower down the leagues. Looking at the short video of him playing for Man U he looks everything that you would want in a RB. 

He looks a very good player and dare I say similar build to Cam Pring. It may be that the coaching staff bed him into the club/team slowly but as a lot of us have said, we definitely needed a RB at some point in the near future 

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He might be fine with his left foot but he controls and dribbles and generally kicks with his right when playing for Carlisle.

Hell of a strike in those clips with his left then JD! 

I know nothing about this kid but in largish Nige I trust. We're definitely getting somewhere. Just need a home win after the break an all is good in the City world. 

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

According to the Carlisle forum, one of the lowest paid first team players in their squad, moved there on a promise to get minutes under his belt and help get him I the shop window. Seems to have worked. 

I like that, confident in his ability, but humble enough not to demand the earth.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll admit I know little about the player- and this is a signing that has come out of the blue! The specifics of the player aside...

Out and out positives/grounds for cautious optimism:

• RB
  • Age- Plenty of room for growth, time very much on his side. Example of planning ahead in any case.
  • Background- From Man United academy, a good grounding.
  • Price- Wages and fee should be competitive.
  • Seems to be versatile too from what I've read on here.

Reasons for caution:

• Age- Means he may not hit the ground running.
  • League Two- we've had a mixed track record in recent times from the divisions below- from this League, the PL and overseas too of course! Thinking though specifically off the top of my head, Eisa, Szmodics- League Two. Adelakun, League One, Cundy is the last IIRC of that clutch of signings and still has the chance to make it here. Plus that aside, it's a big leap- you're talking about League Two and much improved though it is, we're talking a leap to perhaps the best 2nd tier division ie best of the Leagues below the top flight in Europe!

Welcome anyway, could turn out to be a real hidden gem? Will watch the video and other footage if it's about too.

Very valid points and maybe, even though we need a second young right back as none in sight from Academy, he is for development this season to replace Simpson next year. Pearson looking ahead in addition to making sure we are comfortably away from bottom of table?

Just thinking about previous full backs we have picked up and either from lower league clubs or academies (LBs I know)

Darren Barnard - Chelsea academy

Martin Scott - Rotherham

Mickey Bell - Wycombe 

There is still quality out there if you search for it and you know what you are looking for??

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Just thinking about previous full backs we have picked up and either from lower league clubs or academies (LBs I know)

Martin Scott - Rotherham

Mickey Bell - Wycombe 

There is still quality out there if you search for it and you know what you are looking for??

Bryan Drysdale - Hartlepool United

Just now, INCRED said:

Martin Scott - Rotherham

Mickey Bell - Wycombe 

Definitely nice to see a new name, not the recycled rumours like Tom Lees.  This does not have the old Mark Ashton database feel to it does it?

Started a 10 minute clip download before I popped out to see the moon at Bristol Cathedral.  It’ll be warts n all and yesterday’s opener for Hartlepool wasn’t his best 10 seconds!!!

But if you want his best bits:

From the guy who did the analysis on him earlier in this thread:

image.thumb.png.dd0cb80601889514e78125e0b865714d.png

On Sky Sports the ticker tape at the foot of the screen states "Bristol City have signed full back George Tanner from Carlisle.

Have we though? Nothing on the OS (nor Carlisle's), nothing on here and nothing on facebook.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Definitely nice to see a new name, not the recycled rumours like Tom Lees.  This does not have the old Mark Ashton database feel to it does it?

Started a 10 minute clip download before I popped out to see the moon at Bristol Cathedral.  It’ll be warts n all and yesterday’s opener for Hartlepool wasn’t his best 10 seconds!!!

But if you want his best bits:

From the guy who did the analysis on him earlier in this thread:

image.thumb.png.dd0cb80601889514e78125e0b865714d.png

Doesn’t seem to be much of an advert for the rest of Carlisle’s forward line. The chances they miss. Barn door and banjo spring to mind

Looks genuinely two footed, maybe prefers his right over his left slightly judging by the clips.

I wish these videos would concentrate some of the time on the defensive side, I have seen clips from his youth career, but not much from his professional career.  The one worrying thing I noticed and I can't back this up from his league career as there is not much to go on, is he likes to go to ground a lot.  I personally don't like this in a defender.  get it wrong and you are massively exposed, so lets hope that the person putting that show reel together just seems to like slide tackling :)

Archived