IGNORED

Richard Gould

GrahamC

Anyone else notice something different about the signing of the Carlisle lad yesterday?

The conspicuous absence of our new CEO, who clearly doesn’t see the need to be the centre of attention & hog the limelight.

No speech from Richard about “how grateful we should be to the Lansdown family”, just a comment from the manager about the signing & that’s it.

Of course the proof is in the pudding but on first impressions I like our new structure (manager in control, CEO getting on with his job without any fuss) so much more.

Ipswich made their 18th signing of the window this morning, even in a division with Burton, Cheltenham & Morecambe (who they should hammer) it isn’t going great, is it?

I think his role is a bit different from Ashton's. Ashton's seemed to be far more involved with the playing side, whereas Gould seems more typical of a CEO - a bit more like Sextone when he was here.

This blurring of responsibilities seems to have caused us massive problems that'll take years to sort out - will probably be the same at Ipswich. 

I can't imagine Pearson, regardless what he said last season in public, wanting to work with someone in an Ashton type role ideally. The responsibilities and deliverables seem to overlap far too much. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think his role is a bit different from Ashton's. Ashton's seemed to be far more involved with the playing side, whereas Gould seems more typical of a CEO - a bit more like Sextone when he was here.

This blurring of responsibilities seems to have caused us massive problems that'll take years to sort out - will probably be the same at Ipswich. 

I can't imagine Pearson, regardless what he said last season in public, wanting to work with someone in an Ashton type role ideally. The responsibilities and deliverables seem to overlap far too much. 

Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment despite being totally unqualified. He seems to have assumed the same role at Ipswich.

Cook had better watch his back because if things go pear shaped it won't be Ashton taking the blame.

I assume once the window is closed Ashton will do one of his "aren't I wonderful" in house interviews.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment despite being totally unqualified. He seems to have assumed the same role at Ipswich.

Cook had better watch his back because if things go pear shaped it won't be Ashton taking the blame.

I assume once the window is closed Ashton will do one of his "aren't I wonderful" in house interviews.

Not if they haven't won yet he won't.

Ashton and his cronies are a cancer in football, IMO, and we are well rid. Gould isn't after the limelight and I'm happy with him ticking along in the background, acting on NP's requests, getting deals across the line for realistic fees in positions that are priorities.

It really does make the mind boggle at the scattergun, clubs-in-the-bag approach under Ashton. 18 new players at Ipswich in a post-COVID era, FFS? Reckless. 

I suspect Gould is more of a traditional CEO, leading behind the scenes and only coming out when he's needed. The public face of City will be the Manager, Chairman and owner.

Don't think publicity is his style, although he does come across very well when interviewed.

1 minute ago, Marco the red said:

He did a lot of public interviews when at Surrey so I don't think he is against the limelight. Unlike Ashton he doesn't actively seek it.

No disrespect to City (or Surrey), but at Surrey he was a bigger fish in a smaller pond, in charge of a major Test ground, for example. But no doubt he stuck to mostly non-playing matters.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think what you meant to say is that Ashton was over involved in the playing side.

Ashton seems to crave the limelight and wanting the type of  recognition and adulation that players get from fans - witness his recent touchline run,  high-fiving the Ipswich fans. He was all too quick to talk to the media when there was reflected glory available, but  conspicuous by his absence when things weren’t going so well. I wonder how high profile is he at the moment over in Suffolk?

Now we seem to have people in place who not only know their jobs and where their responsibilities begin and end,  but are content to leave the limelight to the players. Even the manager is understated in his interviews and lets the players take fans’ applause at the end of a game. Will we ever see “Pearson say bounce around the ground”?

39 minutes ago, tin said:

Ashton and his cronies are a cancer in football, IMO, and we are well rid. Gould isn't after the limelight and I'm happy with him ticking along in the background, acting on NP's requests, getting deals across the line for realistic fees in positions that are priorities.

It really does make the mind boggle at the scattergun, clubs-in-the-bag approach under Ashton. 18 new players at Ipswich in a post-COVID era, FFS? Reckless. 

Yep, best “transfer” of the window.

22 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

can’t even imagine the consequences if Ipswich don’t go up FFP wise

Think they’ve hamstrung themselves even if they do go up….then they’ll have to play under Championship FFP, which is very different to Lg1/2.

Just now, downendcity said:

I think what you meant to say is that Ashton was over involved in the playing side.

Ashton seems to crave the limelight and wanting the type of  recognition and adulation that players get from fans - witness his recent touchline run,  high-fiving the Ipswich fans. He was all too quick to talk to the media when there was reflected glory available, but  conspicuous by his absence when things weren’t going so well. I wonder how high profile is he at the moment over in Suffolk?

Now we seem to have people in place who not only know their jobs and where their responsibilities begin and end,  but are content to leave the limelight to the players. Even the manager is understated in his interviews and lets the players take fans’ applause at the end of a game. Will we ever see “Pearson say bounce around the ground”?

The difference between class and crass!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The difference between class and crass!

One tells everyone how good he is ( or thinks he is).

The other shows everyone how good he is, without having to say a word.

I’m sorry but this is hilarious to me.

I’m all for discussing the new CEO’s ways of working but bloody hell, you would be forgiven for assuming his predecessor (let’s call him ‘Voldemort’) had slept with all of our wives, the way people keep banging on about him.

We are in a new season, with a new CEO, a somewhat new squad and a relatively new manager. We have had a couple of great wins recently and nobody knows the heights we could reach this year. Surely it’s best for us to forget about Voldemort, enjoy the (extremely likeable) personnel we have at the club at present, and look to the future rather than the past? It’s clear Ipswich have gotten off to a poor start this year, but who cares - we are in the top half of the division above them and have more important fish to fry than discussing their corporate hierarchy.

Or, alternatively, I suppose pettiness is a ubiquitous facet of football fandom. So do what you want really :)

41 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

can’t even imagine the consequences if Ipswich don’t go up FFP wise

Well they have conceded more than anyone else in the league after 5 games so it's a high possibility.

With a defensive record like that they will be lucky to stay in league 1.

9 minutes ago, Distortia said:

I’m all for discussing the new CEO’s ways of working but bloody hell, you would be forgiven for assuming his predecessor (let’s call him ‘Voldemort’) had slept with all of our wives, the way people keep banging on about him.

We are in a new season, with a new CEO, a somewhat new squad and a relatively new manager. We have had a couple of great wins recently and nobody knows the heights we could reach this year. Surely it’s best for us to forget about Voldemort, enjoy the (extremely likeable) personnel we have at the club at present, and look to the future rather than the past? It’s clear Ipswich have gotten off to a poor start this year, but who cares - we are in the top half of the division above them and have more important fish to fry than discussing their corporate hierarchy.

Or, alternatively, I suppose pettiness is a ubiquitous facet of football fandom. So do what you want really :)

It's only natural to try and draw comparisons. 

I don't think we will get much debate out of it though. 

24 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

Unfortunately shameless self promotion and bluster goes a long way these days.

It does.

Precisely 215 miles - the distance from BS3 to Ipswich!

18 minutes ago, Distortia said:

I thought that was Kasey Palmer?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, best “transfer” of the window.

Think they’ve hamstrung themselves even if they do go up….then they’ll have to play under Championship FFP, which is very different to Lg1/2.

I’d say of the last 5 years. The relief he and his team have gone and that we now have grown ups in charge is just immense (as I know I’ve said a million times). There was a very small part of me that was thinking I was overly critical and that it can’t have just been him and ‘his team’ that had this completely blasé, chuck enough shit at the wall approach but what they are doing at Ipswich seems to vindicate that original view. And as I’ve said before Watford fans (including a close colleague) absolutely despised him also. We’re lucky to have got rid and I say lucky as it’s all down to his ego that he’s gone, not anything to do with the owners.  I reckon he would’ve kept pulling the wool over them for years to come. 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’d say of the last 5 years. The relief he and his team have gone and that we now have grown ups in charge is just immense (as I know I’ve said a million times). There was a very small part of me that was thinking I was overly critical and that it can’t have just been him and ‘his team’ that had this completely blasé, chuck enough shit at the wall approach but what they are doing at Ipswich seems to vindicate that original view. And as I’ve said before Watford fans (including a close colleague) absolutely despised him also. We’re lucky to have got rid and I say lucky as it’s all down to his ego that he’s gone, not anything to do with the owners.  I reckon he would’ve kept pulling the wool over them for years to come. 

My concerns started when he in effect self-promoted himself from COO to CEO, sacked the HoR and bizarrely got more involved in recruitment.  Big klaxon went off in my head…..not helped by someone telling me about his previous work here as consultant.

He’s gone, I’m relieved.  We now have people in place who care about our club.  Ashton is a wannabe footballer desperate to feel like he’s a pro player, when in fact he wasn’t good enough (that’s no disgrace)….and is trying to suck money out of football in various business ventures.  He’s no better than a dodgy agent.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thank goodness for the Richard Gould's and Nigel Pearson's of this world. Their ego's and experience are directed at helping others to achieve!

And by doing so, they also achieve.

Like all the best leaders.  

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thank goodness for the Richard Gould's and Nigel Pearson's of this world. Their ego's and experience are directed at helping others to achieve!

And by doing so, they also achieve.

Well said!

Forget about the past, can't see why anyone is giving the idiot airtime on here - we all know the damage blah blah blah.

Future is looking promising & with more integrity.

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment despite being totally unqualified.

I don't know how you can say someone who rose to the giddy heights of goalie for West Brom reserves during their most unsuccessful era in history is totally unqualified!   :whistle:

5 hours ago, Distortia said:

Well duh 

Archived