IGNORED

Football365's breakdown of the 5 who've never been Premier

erndogz

Let me guess.

"With Nigel Pearson now at the helm, and bankrolled by billionaire owner Steve Lansdown, City might finally be putting together a run for the top flight.

4 years ago they looked like going close, but the wheels came off after a famous victory over Man Utd in the league cup. Forced to sell their best assets in summer 2018, they have struggled to rebuild a team.

The recently opened training ground, and redeveloped stadium, mean that the club has facilities for for the Premier League. Pearson has brought in Andy King, Matty James and Danny Simpson, all of whom were with him at Leicester. It is yet to be seen if he can similarly replicate his Leicester heroics and wake up this sleeping giant."

Or something like that anyway.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Let me guess.

"With Nigel Pearson now at the helm, and bankrolled by billionaire owner Steve Lansdown, City might finally be putting together a run for the top flight.

4 years ago they looked like going close, but the wheels came off after a famous victory over Man Utd in the league cup. Forced to sell their best assets in summer 2018, they have struggled to rebuild a team.

The recently opened training ground, and redeveloped stadium, mean that the club has facilities for for the Premier League. Pearson has brought in Andy King, Matty James and Danny Simpson, all of whom were with him at Leicester. It is yet to be seen if he can similarly replicate his Leicester heroics and wake up this sleeping giant."

Apart from the bit where it talks about the decline in quality of our pies and the increase in the costs of a pint, this is pretty much spot on.

Here's our entry.

1) Bristol City
Last in top flight: 1979/80 | Seasons in top flight: 9

There has been little to be optimistic about over the last 18 months for, well, pretty much everyone. But while some fans were able to be cheered up by their football clubs providing moments of respite and relief, the Robins flew south through the table to finish 19th last season. Half a year after his appointment, Nigel Pearson is still awaiting his first win at Ashton Gate. Despite needing a rebuild, former Leicester players are all that have been brought in on the red side of the Avon. Some makeover.

Despite all this though, it is impossible to deny that Bristol City have what it takes to be the most likely of this group to make the Premier League for 2022/23. Off the pitch, they have the infrastructure in place, most noticeably the wonderfully refurbished Ashton Gate with a roof more famous than perhaps any other in English football stadia.

The signings unveiled under that roof may not have been of the calibre expected but this is still a strong Bristol City squad which could be great working under a manager who collated and orchestrated that excellent Leicester City side just over half a decade ago.

Just like in the weekend win at Cardiff City, the Robins showed that at their best they can take on some of the best teams in this division and come out on top. Inconsistency and that wretched home form are holding them back, but they have the wherewithal to get past those problems more than any other side on this list.

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Here's our entry.

1) Bristol City
Last in top flight: 1979/80 | Seasons in top flight: 9

There has been little to be optimistic about over the last 18 months for, well, pretty much everyone. But while some fans were able to be cheered up by their football clubs providing moments of respite and relief, the Robins flew south through the table to finish 19th last season. Half a year after his appointment, Nigel Pearson is still awaiting his first win at Ashton Gate. Despite needing a rebuild, former Leicester players are all that have been brought in on the red side of the Avon. Some makeover.

Despite all this though, it is impossible to deny that Bristol City have what it takes to be the most likely of this group to make the Premier League for 2022/23. Off the pitch, they have the infrastructure in place, most noticeably the wonderfully refurbished Ashton Gate with a roof more famous than perhaps any other in English football stadia.

The signings unveiled under that roof may not have been of the calibre expected but this is still a strong Bristol City squad which could be great working under a manager who collated and orchestrated that excellent Leicester City side just over half a decade ago.

Just like in the weekend win at Cardiff City, the Robins showed that at their best they can take on some of the best teams in this division and come out on top. Inconsistency and that wretched home form are holding them back, but they have the wherewithal to get past those problems more than any other side on this list.

should that not be On that roof?

3 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

I mean I’m to young to remember it but we have been there!
 Just because it got a fancy new name it’s still the top flight of English domestic football! 

This, I don't understand why people are so hung up on us "never being there" despite the fact that we have, it's just changed name technically.

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

This, I don't understand why people are so hung up on us "never being there" despite the fact that we have, it's just changed name technically.

I mean we were runners up 100 odd years ago! I know it shouldn’t but it winds me up even when the declare Alan shearer the top goal scorer it’s like they forgot about Jimmy Greaves who again I wasn’t alive to see play way before my time and he’s not even just a little bit in front he’s still like 60 odd goals in front!

So, “former Leicester players are all that have been brought in”.

Presumably apart from the ones that aren’t from Leicester, then?

This sort of reheated bollocks isn’t worth anyone’s time.

Still it is better than the Second Tier podcast, which seems to be run by someone with a vendetta against Nige & who seems to think Warnock is the second coming of Jesus.

38 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think deep down you know that it a completely different beast to how it was back then. 

1 hour ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

I mean I’m to young to remember it but we have been there!
 Just because it got a fancy new name it’s still the top flight of English domestic football! 

I’m getting too old to remember it. 

47 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think deep down you know that it a completely different beast to how it was back then. 

Not really we still have 4 fully professional football divisions of which we have been to the top flight before it’s just got fancy name!

There’s still relegation from it they still play football although admittedly the rules have changed like the offside rule every season nearly and the back pass rule was brought in! 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Let me guess.

Shortened version. 

Now they've got shot of Mark Ashton and have in place people who know what they are doing, Bristol City has a decent chance of making a run at promotion. 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Of course it's different because of the money (and it being a breakaway run by the Premier League and not the FA, technically) but it's still the English top division. Man United talk about winning 20 league titles compared to Liverpool's 19, so it's one division. One of those was the year after our runners up place, so if theirs counts then ours does?

Do we say Swindon and Rovers have never been in the Championship? Or that we've never been in League 2? Of course not, it's just a name. It's still the same divisions.

28 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, it used to be a league where money didn’t absolutely dominate it. 

To an extent perhaps. However, money has always been a huge help. 90 or so years ago Arsenal, whilst winning the 1931, 1933, 1934 and 1935 titles, had the nickname "The Bank of England Club" due to splashing out 5 digit sums for players. The number of 0's might have increased, but teams that spend more than others have always been accused of dominating due to cash.

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Do we say Swindon and Rovers have never been in the Championship? Or that we've never been in League 2? Of course not, it's just a name. It's still the same divisions.

It is de facto the same, even if legally/technically it's different. I've always thought it a shame that the PL didn't buy the old First Division trophy from the EFL. It would be nice if the winners of the current top flight still received that trophy, rather than it now going to the winners of the second tier.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, it used to be a league where money didn’t absolutely dominate it. 

It also used to a time when England had numerous world class players and overseas keepers in the top flight were practically non_existent. And a time when English clubs dominated Europe with 22 trophies won between 67 and 91. Since the Premier league we've won half that despite the influx of supposedly more skilful and adept overseas players and managers. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Of course it's different because of the money (and it being a breakaway run by the Premier League and not the FA, technically) but it's still the English top division. Man United talk about winning 20 league titles compared to Liverpool's 19, so it's one division. One of those was the year after our runners up place, so if theirs counts then ours does?

Aside from the money, one of the biggest differences between the old First Division and the Prem is the amount of foreign players.

When City were in Div 1 there were mainly home grown British players.

Ironically, it's the money that has attracted them and for me, those players have made it a much better division with higher quality football.

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Technically they are correct, they say premier league not top flight. They even reference the last time each team was in the top flight

Archived