IGNORED

U23s Home to Hull

Red Army 75

Message to the Club.

That 90 minutes was more entertaining than the ‘highlights’ of the entire 20/21 Season. 

Why not encourage the sale of season tickets and memberships by showing all under-23 matches on Robins TV to those that have purchased these products?

13 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Palmer seems to have matured in may ways. I think Pearson makes players feel valued and they give more, simple psychology, better than ranting and raving.

KP arguably guilty of showboating a bit at times, but he was so head and shoulders above the opposition that I suppose you can hardly blame him. He went past players for fun at that level. Some incisive passing, too. Very entertaining to watch. 

Hope nobody's picked up anything more than a slight knock. There were quite a few injury stoppages on both sides following rather clumsy or late challenges. I didn't think the game was particularly well refereed. Wells was hobbling a bit at the end. Be a pity if he was sidelined after scoring 4 and making a case for inclusion in the next senior match.

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Why not encourage the sale of season tickets and memberships by showing all under-23 matches on Robins TV to those that have purchased these products?

After the stadium games they'll be at the training ground and they've taken away the gantry that was used pre-season, they may still try to but imagine it would be a lot harder finding power points etc for all those that need it

Needs to be remembered City's 23's romped the u23's group last season (all be it a loss to Hull was in there) so the base squad they have is already one of the best in terms of academy so when you add those senior players even with 10 players was a massive amount of quality. Add the opposition starting 3 trialists.

10 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Wells not feeling the need to celebrate any of his goals?

Its an Under 23’s tune up for a senior player.

What were you expecting? Knee-slides into the corners? Maybe some provocative corner-flag dancing in front of the battered youth of Hull? Perhaps a sprint and run and pile-on with the City bench?

Was trying to watch whilst on calls today, but today epitomised u23 football….it’s nowhere near a replica of a Championship match.  Don’t get me wrong there was some lovely play (by both teams) at times, but it is so naive in terms of the nature of wanting to play “press busting, through the lines” football all the time.  Sometimes it just isn’t the right pass…and we wonder why some of our youngsters make similar mistakes when stepping up to the first team.  The amount of balls lost in the defensive third (Hull were terrible in that respect) is just too many.

Sorry for adding a negative vibe on what was a very good effort by City seeing as they were down to 10 men from the 2nd minute.  I’m just not sure how good it is as a preparation for the first team.  Hopefully some of that decision making is dealt with when they train with the first team.  In fairness we were much more pragmatic than Hull.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Naughty challenge by Bell in the lead up to the 4th. Not sure we would have got away with that in the league, looked studs up to me.

Yes, the point I was making above. I'm pretty sure that's a nailed-on booking in a Championship game. The ref was pretty lax.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m just not sure how good it is as a preparation for the first team.  

Not much good at all, I'd say, except in the purely physical sense, getting minutes into the legs and all that, and even then the intensity is miles off, but nevertheless it's a workout of sorts and maybe tells the boss a bit about who's motivated to work hard to make a favourable impression.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Thanks for that. I missed a couple of those.

I really don't get the red card...am i missing something?  I can't see any offence?..........Is it the edit or my befuddled mind?  ? .......Ok having watched a couple more times,  it is a small tug on the attackers slleeve, that the attacker made a meal of .....got it.    Ha!

8 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Not much good at all, I'd say, except in the purely physical sense, getting minutes into the legs and all that, and even then the intensity is miles off, but nevertheless it's a workout of sorts and maybe tells the boss a bit about who's motivated to work hard to make a favourable impression.

And the seniors all displayed that today.  With no cup games til January, for some this will be the only proper match minutes they get.

In fairness last season the seniors who played because they were coming back from injury displayed the right attitude too….not wanting to let down the bona fide u23s who’d got City top of the league.  Possibly also because Nige was watching too ?

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

I really don't get the red card...am i missing something?  I can't see any offence?..........Is it the edit or my befuddled mind?  ? 

Grabbed the Hull player’s shirt.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was trying to watch whilst on calls today, but today epitomised u23 football….it’s nowhere near a replica of a Championship match.  Don’t get me wrong there was some lovely play (by both teams) at times, but it is so naive in terms of the nature of wanting to play “press busting, through the lines” football all the time.  Sometimes it just isn’t the right pass…and we wonder why some of our youngsters make similar mistakes when stepping up to the first team.  The amount of balls lost in the defensive third (Hull were terrible in that respect) is just too many.

Sorry for adding a negative vibe on what was a very good effort by City seeing as they were down to 10 men from the 2nd minute.  I’m just not sure how good it is as a preparation for the first team.  Hopefully some of that decision making is dealt with when they train with the first team.  In fairness we were much more pragmatic than Hull.

I enjoyed the football we played, been a long time since I've said that.
I agree about getting ready for the first team, but it's better than just training I suppose. Nice to see Wells making runs for KP, I'd like to see that in the first team. Going down to 10 so early, probably made it a better run out for the likes of Wells, KP & Bakinson, (though Bakinson rarely raises his tempo anywhere) the stop start intensity will do them good. Some nice movement and passing, and good to see Wells get his eye in. 

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I really don't get the red card...am i missing something?  I can't see any offence?..........Is it the edit or my befuddled mind?  ? 

As others have said, a pretty minimal tug of the shirt sleeve was all, as far as I could see, and a more balanced and pragmatic response from the ref so early in the game would have been a yellow, I'd have thought. Bit ironic that he chose to be harsh on that and then proceeded to ignore quite a few slightly naughty challenges throughout the rest of game.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I've criticised the academy league structure for quite a while, seriously needs a reform

However City's next game will be a better challenge, Sheffield Utd away even without Jebbison who went to Burton on loan

Really enjoyed that but Hull were a very young side against the experience we had on the pitch. That said there were some good performances. 

Janneh-  what an engine and pace. Beats players through brute force but was very impressive

Wells - great finishing & in fairness worked hard 

Williams - going to be pushing for a start. Mobile but can put a foot in

Palmer - makes it look easy and so much talent & clearly confident in his ability against lesser opposition as was unplayable at times

Allen - never seen him before but played CB and read it well & very quick 

Towler - very composed and dominant in air

Overall as I said it was a strong performance against a young side & it was men against boys for most of it. Nothing to get excited about but some good performances on show. 

Archived