IGNORED

U23s Home to Hull

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

Anyone know why Wells was kept on the pitch to the end for 4 goals when Britton was on the bench and needing minutes on the pitch? 

Probably because its more important for Wells to get 90 minutes after not playing for a while I would guess.

28 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I've criticised the academy league structure for quite a while, seriously needs a reform

However City's next game will be a better challenge, Sheffield Utd away even without Jebbison who went to Burton on loan

What's the issue with it - am I right in thinking the PL teams have their own one?

Why are the games so different? Presumably even if the players are L2 standard, the games aren't representative of an L2 game or whatever.

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What's the issue with it - am I right in thinking the PL teams have their own one?

Why are the games so different? Presumably even if the players are L2 standard, the games aren't representative of an L2 game or whatever.

You only play the teams in your category, so City only play Cat 2 teams, Cat 3 and 4 are the regionalised and Cat 1 is split into 2 leagues at U23's level Div 1 and 2 so they actually have promotion/relegation. One issue you have is you now have 28 Cat 1 clubs v 17 Cat 2 clubs, so the distribution of teams is becoming wider, what was once reserved as an 'elite' tier of academy is now much more accessible for clubs with the money to invest especially when it doesn't count against FFP etc. However in a hypothetical scenario where City were to go Cat 1 then in likelihood to ensure games weren't damaging for our players we'd need to keep our better academy prospects in house rather than allow them to go out on loan and then play 23's even if they didn't have a chance of first team. We've shifted a little that way under Nigel but Owura Edwards, Joe Low, Marlee Francois, Taylor Moore have all gone out on loan. 

My idea was along the lines of pool all academy teams (who wish to participate in the official league) into one system with promotion/relegation just like the league structure, leagues would be based off standings at the end of the season, Cat 1 Div 1/2 up to 20 teams would become Div 1, Div 2 and top x amount of Cat 2 would make up 20 teams for Div 2 etc till however many leagues, I say 20 it would be whatever creates an equal number. However you'd play everyone home and away, which Cat 2 currently don't do and not sure if Cat 1 do. Currently you play everyone in your own group home/away as its split by North/South in Cat 2 and then the other group once and usually rotate the home/away. So anyway, all teams in one league structure with promotion relegation. You'd retain the category system and there lies your advantage if you wish to invest in your academy the Cat 1 clubs who have more coaching, some recruit players in through EPPP etc in theory 'should' give you the advantage to reach Div 1, however well run academies from other categories, ours, Wigan, Preston, Sheffield Utd etc would still have the chance to reach Div 1 of an U23's pyramid but wouldn't need to spend more than they want to compete with the best. Introduce promotion/relegation and you'll see how seriously teams take matches with real consequences on the line. Could then naturally keep better players in house for academy games with teams not wanting to fall down a pyramid.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry for adding a negative vibe on what was a very good effort by City seeing as they were down to 10 men from the 2nd minute.  I’m just not sure how good it is as a preparation for the first team.  Hopefully some of that decision making is dealt with when they train with the first team.  In fairness we were much more pragmatic than Hull.

Since reserve team football ended this is a big issue.

Someone like Wells for instance is simply far too good for a standard like this but as he’s barely featured in the league there is nowhere else he can get pitch time.

Wasn’t able to watch but perversely think us having just 10 men virtually all game was a good thing, as our starting XI was a total mismatch otherwise for a young Hull side with 4 trialists in their squad.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Marley Rose. Francois is on loan to Bath City 

Being on loan at Bath doesn't stop Marlee from playing 23's, if he didn't come off the bench for a game, or an opponent made it to an FA Cup weekend then no reason he wouldn't feature in a 23's game Monday after to give him game time.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Being on loan at Bath doesn't stop Marlee from playing 23's, if he didn't come off the bench for a game, or an opponent made it to an FA Cup weekend then no reason he wouldn't feature in a 23's game Monday after to give him game time.

True, however he did play the whole of both the games on Ssturday and Monday, so no need to flog him.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

True, however he did play the whole of both the games on Ssturday and Monday, so no need to flog him.

Oh yeah he wouldn’t have played today, just for anyone who didn’t know being out on loan doesn’t prevent under 23’s appearances 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You seem to follow the U23's more than most @Lrrr, do you know what has happened to Prince Henry?

No, I'd give it a week or two and see if he crops up in the U23's, a couple of things, City say their loanees have to earn their spots in teams, we don't say 'our loanees must play x minutes or games etc' so could be Hungerford have said he's not ready, could be the loan was cancelled just after it went through, similar happened with Sam Pearson and Eastleigh, was decided he would come back a few weeks after he went there. 

With the obvious caveat regarding the U23 level, and the less obvious caveat that I didn't watch the game but relied on the clips of @IAmNick whose contribution to this forum, especially for those of us too poor, lazy or foreign to have access to official channels, is inestimable, but do we the forum think or even suspect that it is possible that NP has found a way to reinvigorate and galvanise Wells so that he finds his career-best scoring form, and is therefore lining him up to be the prolific striker we didn't actually need to bring in in the transfer window after all, hence the unhurried lack of activity on that front?

4 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Its an Under 23’s tune up for a senior player.

What were you expecting? Knee-slides into the corners? Maybe some provocative corner-flag dancing in front of the battered youth of Hull? Perhaps a sprint and run and pile-on with the City bench?

What, something like this?

37 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What, something like this?

Ha ha ha yeah something like that.

I have been chuckling over this all day inbetween calls. When we make the promised land of the Premier League, it will forever be tainted and the glory tarnished because Nahki Wells did not celebrate any of his goals against Hull City U23’s on a Wednesday afternoon.

In fact, the more I think about it. I think he should still be celebrating now and even gone public about it as his finest achievement in his career, anything else shows complete contempt for the club.

Perhaps on the roof whilst wearing a Louis Carey hat. Anything else means he truly does not care.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Naughty challenge by Bell in the lead up to the 4th. Not sure we would have got away with that in the league, looked studs up to me.

I think it was Joe Williams who made the 'studs up' tackle - Sam Bell made the subsequent reverse pass to JW.

5 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Yes, the point I was making above. I'm pretty sure that's a nailed-on booking in a Championship game. The ref was pretty lax.

It may well have resulted in a booking in a Championship game, but I was quite pleased to see JW make the tackle, nevertheless, as it would seem to demonstrate that he is nearing full fitness at last. 

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

@Davefevsid like to seen your tactical analysis of the Hull players positioning for goal number 6 please!

F0258204-ACEA-4B64-9C0D-78E48BF9F510.png

That’s when all the balls in LJ’s tombola fell out at the same time.

Archived