IGNORED

The biggest mismatch ever

Silvio Dante

Our entire side vs. Stan Collymore in 1993. We lost 4-1. He was unplayable.

To highlight how good it was, we had lost 1 in 11 going into it and were knocking on the door of 4th.

The best performance I have seen by an away player at the Gate, followed by John Salako for Swansea and Teddy Sheringham for Millwall.

watched a few v City. Keith Weller v Brian Drysdale was an unfair contest. I'm not sure Speedy ever started another game for us again after that 90 minutes of torture. John Salako (when on loan at Swansea) v anyone in a Red Shirt frankly. Easily the best player on the pitch. To think he was available for £200,000 too. 

Leighton James v Norman Hunter was also a bit of a one sided contest. I remember at one point James shirt resembled a waistcoat and the Ref just waved "play on" Justin Fashanu v Dave Rogers ended with about as much blood as I can remember pouring out of a City player. 

18 hours ago, Masala said:

I'm sure I remember Micky Hazard playing for Swindle against Andy Llewellyn. Hazard pulled him out of position all match, barely touched the ball and controlled the game.

Anyone else remember?

A Jimmy Lumsden masterclass that day.

He picked Llewellyn in midfield - not at Right Back - in an attempt to man mark Hazard out of the game.

Let's just say it didn't work. 

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Our entire side vs. Stan Collymore in 1993. We lost 4-1. He was unplayable.

To highlight how good it was, we had lost 1 in 11 going into it and were knocking on the door of 4th.

The best performance I have seen by an away player at the Gate, followed by John Salako for Swansea and Teddy Sheringham for Millwall.

As much as it pains me to say it, Devon White in the 2nd leg of that League Cup game.

Also JET for Donny against us.

I also remember playing West Ham when they had 2 injured players in the days of 1 sub and Trevor Brooking played against the whole of our midfield on his own and we just about managed a 1-1 draw.

The verbal exchange between hazard and hoddle well worth a watch in that swindon doc.

Hazard makes him look rather foolish

Hoddle goes on about a mistake hazard made on the saturday.

He says something like you were under pressure in our area, why didnt you put it in the stand?

Hazard says, well you passed it to me, why didnt you put it in the stand?

My memory isn't great on individual battles, but one I do remember.

Playing Man City at the Gate, probably my favourite ever winger absolutely on top of his game against a Scottish International.
Those old enough, would know Clive Whitehead had 2 good feet & could go either way at pace, to deliver a great cross. I have never seen a full back look so lost, Whitehead had Willie Donachie looking a completely beaten man. 

For those years playing on the wing, Clive was a joy to watch.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My memory isn't great on individual battles, but one I do remember.

Playing Man City at the Gate, probably my favourite ever winger absolutely on top of his game against a Scottish International.
Those old enough, would know Clive Whitehead had 2 good feet & could go either way at pace, to deliver a great cross. I have never seen a full back look so lost, Whitehead had Willie Donachie looking a completely beaten man. 

For those years playing on the wing, Clive was a joy to watch.

To be fair, he wasn't the only one. I remember when we played QPR that year and one full back was skinned and skinned until he was booked, so they swapped their full backs over and Clive did the same to him until he was booked too.

I think the full backs were Gillard and Clemence? 

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

To be fair, he wasn't the only one. I remember when we played QPR that year and one full back was skinned and skinned until he was booked, so they swapped their full backs over and Clive did the same to him until he was booked too.

I think the full backs were Gillard and Clemence? 

Ian Gillard, Dave Clement (whose son was the Swansea boss - Paul)

Archived