IGNORED

We’ve kept Kalas

pl00peh91

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

Not the outgoings I was so worried about, but the lack of incomings.  We finished last season badly with the squad we had and have a much weaker squad this season so the only hope is that NP can make the difference.  It's a big ask in my view but we can only hope.

I genuinely don’t see the squad as weaker.  It has decent balance imho, plus has a physical presence we’ve been lacking big-time.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not the outgoings I was so worried about, but the lack of incomings.  We finished last season badly with the squad we had and have a much weaker squad this season so the only hope is that NP can make the difference.  It's a big ask in my view but we can only hope.

Still cant see a twenty goal striker to be hpnest 

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Weaker? Where and how? 

23 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Still cant see a twenty goal striker to be hpnest 

Bit of a myth though isn’t it? Not many teams have one at championship level. Certainly not those outside of the sides contesting the top 6 which we are highly unlikely to be. 

43 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I always thought bents would go this window . Maybe nige has got him to buy into the bigger picture (fingers crossed)

As a former goalkeeper myself, I have full admiration for Bentley and rank him in a very similar ilk to Basso. 

Saying that, he is definitely prone to a few blunders and usually consistent ones when they happen. I think this could be the main reason why we haven’t had a serious bid for him.

That is an absolute positive.

We can spread the goals around in terms of the strikers. Wells for Martin we can tweak the shape within the same framework.

My concern, it's not so much the individuals- and I include a few who left in that too or would have had they stayed, as I think they could have contributed positively- I'm worried about, it's the relative thinness of the squad, and the number of fairly young players with a lack of experience at this level who are filling it out.

41 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Bit of a myth though isn’t it? Not many teams have one at championship level. Certainly not those outside of the sides contesting the top 6 which we are highly unlikely to be. 

And those teams that do have a striker who scores 20 goals have that striker in part because the rest of the team is balanced and effective. Football is a team game and IMO a balanced squad is higher priority than a single superstar.

Without the benefit of hindsight I think I'm pretty happy with how we've done in this window.

Feels like we've not lost anyone we didn't want to lose, and in James, King, Atkinson and Tanner I think we've added decent players.

But the best bits of business are the re-signings of Weimann and Baker.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And those teams that do have a striker who scores 20 goals have that striker in part because the rest of the team is balanced and effective. Football is a team game and IMO a balanced squad is higher priority than a single superstar.

A very important point. I think I recall Brentford's owners talking about it wtih regard to replacing attackers who have left them; There's a huge emphasis on ensuring that the attack as a whole creates the same number of chances for a new striker as they did for the old. I think they talked about aiming to "replace the goals", rather than "replace the goalscorer".

7 hours ago, milo1111 said:

We have had a 20 goal a season striker a few times and each time we only just avoided relegation

7 hours ago, milo1111 said:

In the season when we got closest to the Premier League, in 2008, I think our top scorer got eight goals…

26 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In the season when we got closest to the Premier League, in 2008, I think our top scorer got eight goals…

Yep, Darren Byfield.

Though pretty sure Dele Adebola got 6 for us after joining halfway through the season & got double figures when you included his Coventry goals.

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The squad is mentally stronger than last season and that is down to NP.

33 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

We’ve got a bloke who’s been given his first opportunity in a long time to play up top and he’s bagged 4 in 4. 

There’s your 20 a season striker. 

I said after Reading I wonder whether this ⬆️ Plus Semenyo coming back, Scott and Massengo able to play right side (instead of Andi) lessened the priority?

A good transfer windows for us, all considered: James and King are already influencing positively our midfield, Atkinson seems promising, Baker is a reliable defender, and keeping Weimann was like a new signing. Question marks over Simpson and Tanner, but we'll see...

Then not selling Kalas and Bentley is great news, and I'd add also Semenyo (big potential) and Wells (I think he will play his part in our season, despite not being first choice at the moment).

Injuries are obviously a concern after last season's nightmare, and bringing in a striker/winger would have been useful...but hopefully we'll have more luck this season, more clever fitness work and at least 1 of our young strikers will surprise us. COYR!

We have lost our best forward in Fam and Nagy who looked one of the best players in the Euros so we are certainly looking different. Despite the worst home form ever most of us have reason to believe in Pearson's track record and the way the  few new players have settled to think we may improve on Holden's brief era.Not offloading Wells may prove the biggest disappointment but who knows, several games without an appearance may just sharpen him and get his attitude to somewhere near er where it should be

11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

We’ve got a bloke who’s been given his first opportunity in a long time to play up top and he’s bagged 4 in 4. 

There’s your 20 a season striker. 

I’m sure the season where famara was banned for the first 6 games weimann started down the middle for those games and got a fair few goals , hopefully we stick with home down the middle it will be interesting to see how he does

Archived