Jump to content
IGNORED

Reading FC Transfer Embargo


davidoldfart
 Share

Recommended Posts

Having lost £93m over 3 seasons Reading are under EFL transfer embargo which means they can only sign Free agents or loans (half season) and pay no transfer or loan fees . 

How come they get Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea for a seasons loan !!!!!!! The guy is on the best part of £100k a week .

Think Derby get away with murder - Reading really take the biscuit .

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Having lost £93m over 3 seasons Reading are under EFL transfer embargo which means they can only sign Free agents or loans (half season) and pay no transfer or loan fees . 

How come they get Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea for a seasons loan !!!!!!! The guy is on the best part of £100k a week .

Think Derby get away with murder - Reading really take the biscuit .

Reading are paying a very small fraction of his wages, around 6.5% I think it is. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Having lost £93m over 3 seasons Reading are under EFL transfer embargo which means they can only sign Free agents or loans (half season) and pay no transfer or loan fees . 

How come they get Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea for a seasons loan !!!!!!! The guy is on the best part of £100k a week .

Think Derby get away with murder - Reading really take the biscuit .

Also signed Andre grey aswell matr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Reading are paying a very small fraction of his wages, around 6.5% I think it is. 
 

That’s the official story but in the past week they have signed 6 players, Halilovic (ex Brum), Rahman & Drinkwater (on loan from Chelsea), Junior Hoilett, Scott Dann & Dele-Bashiru from Watford.

Several of these players have been historically on ten of thousands a week & in one case, £100k a week.

I can just about understand Hoilett & Halilovic who were without clubs, but the Chelsea pair in particular look very fishy, it seems very strange that they are being loaned out & such a tiny percentage of their wages paid.

No fan of Derby but it does seem odd they were only allowed to sign 4 players in this way & for clubs keeping to FFP (Swansea for instance, who sold Roberts & Lowe yesterday) it seems completely wrong.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Embargo doesn't seem to be the right term as it implies a ban on transfers when it is really a restriction on numbers and the terms on which they can be signed. Presumably the EFL have approved these moves, but then again they would wouldn't they?

The fact remains that Reading are under an embargo for spending money they don't have but have made these signings with money they still presumably don't have. Which makes the regulations self defeating.

The practical reality for us is that because we play by the rules we cannot afford to make lots of signings at the drop of a hat as they have done. Perverse incentive or what?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Having lost £93m over 3 seasons Reading are under EFL transfer embargo which means they can only sign Free agents or loans (half season) and pay no transfer or loan fees . 

How come they get Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea for a seasons loan !!!!!!! The guy is on the best part of £100k a week .

Think Derby get away with murder - Reading really take the biscuit .

They are nicknamed the Biscuitmen!

19 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Also signed Andre grey aswell matr.

Gone to QPR hasn’t he?

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Embargo doesn't seem to be the right term as it implies a ban on transfers when it is really a restriction on numbers and the terms on which they can be signed. Presumably the EFL have approved these moves, but then again they would wouldn't they?

The fact remains that Reading are under an embargo for spending money they don't have but have made these signings with money they still presumably don't have. Which makes the regulations self defeating.

The practical reality for us is that because we play by the rules we cannot afford to make lots of signings at the drop of a hat as they have done. Perverse incentive or what?

I guess EFL could refuse to register them, like they did with Brum’s Pederson.

Im long of the belief that if you loan someone (say over the age 23) that you should pay their full contract costs. U23s should be about development and perhaps a percentage should be paid, e.g. 25%.  Would make clubs think twice about hoarding.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, myol'man said:

EFL are weak when it comes to the so called 'big clubs' and London bubble 

If the accepted perspective is that Reading are either a big club or in London then we might as well just say we won the prem last season because saying something clearly just makes it true even if its the biggest bunch of nonsense ever. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davidoldfart said:

Having lost £93m over 3 seasons Reading are under EFL transfer embargo which means they can only sign Free agents or loans (half season) and pay no transfer or loan fees . 

How come they get Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea for a seasons loan !!!!!!! The guy is on the best part of £100k a week .

Think Derby get away with murder - Reading really take the biscuit .

Because he is on half a season loan and Chelsea are paying 90% of his wages

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I saw that free agent 'andy carroll' talks with Reading broke down. The bloke is probably ridiculously over rating himself in terms of wages. Will ANY Club have him on a pay per match basis?

Can anyone actually do this? It would be like your boss at work saying they will choose when and how much to pay you on a weekly basis. Surely its very rare people can live like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pezo said:

Can anyone actually do this? It would be like your boss at work saying they will choose when and how much to pay you on a weekly basis. Surely its very rare people can live like that. 

Lots of people are on zero hours contracts, which amounts to the same thing.

Not that Carroll is likely to be that desperate for money.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Can anyone actually do this? It would be like your boss at work saying they will choose when and how much to pay you on a weekly basis. Surely its very rare people can live like that. 

I guess anyone can make an offer and adjust the salary if he is sat on the treatment table. If any member of staff (other industries) are ill for any considerable amount of time, they don't receive full pay. The lad is hardly short of money. Be interesting what happens to him... 

Just now, Tomo said:

I guess anyone can make an offer and adjust the salary if he is sat on the treatment table. If any member of staff (other industries) are ill for any considerable amount of time, they don't receive full pay. The lad is hardly short of money. Be interesting what happens to him... 

Daniel Sturridge number 2....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Can anyone actually do this? It would be like your boss at work saying they will choose when and how much to pay you on a weekly basis. Surely its very rare people can live like that. 

The most bizarre thing is people will expect Andy to train every day, be on a very strict diet, and then only get paid if and when he's played. It's totally bonkers!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I saw that free agent 'andy carroll' talks with Reading broke down. The bloke is probably ridiculously over rating himself in terms of wages. Will ANY Club have him on a pay per match basis?

Or pay per minutes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The EFL are fearful of legal action when dealing with the bigger clubs so tread more carefully

So that's why they took Derby to court and continue to pursue them...... or docked Leeds 25 points or forced Southampton into administration when the whole parent company thing came to light

You are wrong

They have rules that they stick by nothing more  Nothing less

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with the posters who said hope they and Derby go down.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That’s the official story but in the past week they have signed 6 players, Halilovic (ex Brum), Rahman & Drinkwater (on loan from Chelsea), Junior Hoilett, Scott Dann & Dele-Bashiru from Watford.

Several of these players have been historically on ten of thousands a week & in one case, £100k a week.

I can just about understand Hoilett & Halilovic who were without clubs, but the Chelsea pair in particular look very fishy, it seems very strange that they are being loaned out & such a tiny percentage of their wages paid.

No fan of Derby but it does seem odd they were only allowed to sign 4 players in this way & for clubs keeping to FFP (Swansea for instance, who sold Roberts & Lowe yesterday) it seems completely wrong.

Very much agree especially the last paragraph. That makes a mockery of all those who sell players, show restraint at key times or both the stay within the Regulations.

It could be me finding something there isn't here, but read a piece in Reading's local media and the wording was odd..a fan page too. "Profitability and Sustainability Guidelines" The Tilehurst End also referred to it this way.

Guidelines implies "make it if you can" but not mandatory kinda thing, or at least their take.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I believe Reading's foreign owners are well-financed, a bit different than dealing with, say Cheltenham Town or Newport County

EFL have clauses that mostly prevent Court action as such, breach of Clubs Terms of Membership. Arbitration Agreement a condition.

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not saying this in Readings case, but Guess in the world of dodgy deals its not beyond possibility that a club only pay a tiny percentage of a lone fee to stay within FFP / embargo, but invest or pay for something via another business that is unconnected, except by its owners.

Possible yes, although don't believe Reading can pay loan fees.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Why do we care so much about other teams finances? Let them get on with it.

The number of talented players we have sold, we have shown Restraint in the market to our detriment on the pitch. Absolutely imperative that the EFL uphold this. Not just for us, but the wider integrity of the League.

Anyway, all indicators point to Reading having failed FFP ie overspent so a) An Agreed Points deduction in line with the Breach or b) If not, then the usual Charges should follow. This is the salient point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Selred said:

The most bizarre thing is people will expect Andy to train every day, be on a very strict diet, and then only get paid if and when he's played. It's totally bonkers!

Why is it? If he looks after himself hes a gtd starter is he not? Im pretty sure i dont get paid if i dont turn up to work! Training and keeping fit is the minimum of a footballer anyway :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Reading are paying a very small fraction of his wages, around 6.5% I think it is. 
 

If this is the case, then surely this is nothing more than some shrewd business by Reading?

Or perhaps - for those that like a conspiracy theory - someone at Reading knows something incriminating about Chelsea?????........ 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

So that's why they took Derby to court and continue to pursue them...... or docked Leeds 25 points or forced Southampton into administration when the whole parent company thing came to light

You are wrong

They have rules that they stick by nothing more  Nothing less

Southampton went into administration because they could not repay their mortgage on the new statdium, nothing to do with the EFL.

As for Derby there's a whole thread about lack of suitable punishment. Although they are a big club they are up for sale and financially very weak so unlikely to threat the EFL with an expensive legal case.

The problem with EFL's FFP is that there are lots of grey areas (like stadium ownership), that's why court cases keep popping up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Reading FC Transfer Embargo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...