IGNORED

OOC Players

handsofclay

With the transfer window closed there seems to be an acceptance on here that there will be no additions to the squad now until the next transfer window opens in January. However, I think I am right in saying that for most seasons in recent years we have signed out of contract players without clubs after the deadline. So what players currently fit that category and which of them would you like to see us approach?

46 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I fancy Nile Ranger always a nice guy and very professional. 

His wiki says he was on a month by month contract at Southend. Maybe the closest we'll ever see to the infamous "Pay as you play" deal? Sign him up for that reason alone imo

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Robson Kanu would be top of my free agent list if we need a striker.

Wouldn't be much of a list though ?

Most similar to Martin.  He’s always a blind spot for me because in his early days he played more as a winger, so I don’t give him full credit for his all-round forward play.

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Robson Kanu would be top of my free agent list if we need a striker.

Wouldn't be much of a list though ?

Seems odd though that there hasn’t even been a rumour of him getting fixed up anywhere.

Wonder if he is recovering from injury or simply thinking about going into punditry, as he did a fair bit of that in the summer.

32 minutes ago, grifty said:

Sturridge would be the best player in the league, but I'm not sure how often he'd get on the the pitch.

Actually, he's not been injured, he was banned for illegal betting activity. Would be an amazing signing, not sure what his wage demands would be like! Probably sky high.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah or maybe he's asking for more than teams are nowadays willing to pay, rather like Mariappa when refusing the Watford contract offer.

Mariappa didn’t get any offer from Watford, he was simply released.

Ashton claimed that he had rejected offers from other clubs after his release, (Reading was one rumour) expecting to get better money elsewhere, which then didn’t materialise & so he ended up signing a short term deal with us (rumour is he was on £6k a week), which was subsequently extended.

Like much that Ashton said I took it with a pinch of salt, but we’ll never know.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought the Watford chairman said they had tried to negotiate a new deal

Don’t think so, there was a lot of unhappiness from their supporters about how his release was handled with no official announcement from the club, but no indication he was ever offered anything.

Archived