IGNORED

the size of Swansea's squad

LilRascal

Was just browsing the BBC's sports page and saw that Swansea had signed yet another midfielder (Ntcham from Celtic), got me thinking they must have loads of midfielders having taken a few from us recently. Have you seen the size of their squad??!!  https://www.swanseacity.com/players/149 

How on earth are they going to keep all 44 first team players happy?? You could field a team of 11 plus 5 substitutes just from their collection of defenders. How can that size of squad be sustainable?

Is that the biggest squad in the Championship? How can they afford the wages? 

Just now, LilRascal said:

Was just browsing the BBC's sports page and saw that Swansea had signed yet another midfielder (Ntcham from Celtic), got me thinking they must have loads of midfielders having taken a few from us recently. Have you seen the size of their squad??!!  https://www.swanseacity.com/players/149 

How on earth are they going to keep all 44 first team players happy?? You could field a team of 11 plus 5 substitutes just from their collection of defenders. How can that size of squad be sustainable?

:yawn:

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I assume the players in orange jerseys are academy/youth team players? But yea that is hefty. Especially considering they don't look like getting promoted so no big cash injection coming. 

Its we include all our academy/youth we'll be around the 40 player mark

Just had a look at their squad on Wikipedia, it doesn’t look that big at all to me, probably 24 with any league experience.

On deadline day they sold Connor Roberts to Burnley & Jamal Lowe to Bournemouth, so I don’t think they are particular outliers & having shed Ayew’s incredible wages in the summer are seemingly being run on a relatively sensible footing.

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Its we include all our academy/youth we'll be around the 40 player mark

I guess it comes down to who we include as a "first team player".

Our website lists 23 but only 22 if you take out Moore, who is on loan.

However it includes Conway but not Scott, Wiles-Richards, Janneh, Bell, or Pearson, Britton (all included on the 23s) or Towler or Cundy, who don't seem to be listed at all. 

I reckon those 30 are the most we could possibly include as part of the "squad". We could maybe add Morton too but I don't think anyone else is close enough to the first team to be countable. Not sure how Swansea do their counting...

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just had a look at their squad on Wikipedia, it doesn’t look that big at all to me, probably 24 with any league experience.

On deadline day they sold Connor Roberts to Burnley & Jamal Lowe to Bournemouth, so I don’t think they are particular outliers & having shed Ayew’s incredible wages in the summer are seemingly being run on a relatively sensible footing.

Yep, actually cutting their cloth accordingly now that they no longer have PPs.  They have a lot of FFP wiggle room, but are running their club sensibly in financial terms.  There problem is replacing the quality that’s gone out of the door.

The old manager, Cooper, didn’t fancy the challenge.  Happy when he had money, started touting his services the moment he found out it was not easy-street.

2 hours ago, LilRascal said:

What a signing that is at this level!

3 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

They've tried to replace quality with quantity which won't work.

None they've brought in will replace the collective importance of Ayew, Roberts and Lowe who they've all lost.

That kinda looks good for us,,, though we have played them already,, swansea are usually challenging for the play offs and for them to have lost a few of their more influential players ought to mean they arent as competitive on the pitch.

7 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I assume the players in orange jerseys are academy/youth team players? But yea that is hefty. Especially considering they don't look like getting promoted so no big cash injection coming. 

Yeah they’ve included any youth player whose made a first team appearance, seemingly competitive or friendly 

Archived