IGNORED

A player wanted...

Bristol Rob

7 minutes ago, grifty said:

£5k p/w in League 1 or £9 p/w in the Championship and a £1m release clause doesn't sound that crazy to me?

Wages seem fine. Especially for a league 2 striker with less than a 1 in 3 strike rate.

No idea how release clauses are set, but I'd say 25-50 x weekly wage seems about right. So £1m seems maybe a bit low for the Championship wages.

(I see @DaveF got in there first whilst I was drafting my missive...)

43 minutes ago, grifty said:

£5k p/w in League 1 or £9 p/w in the Championship and a £1m release clause doesn't sound that crazy to me?

Maybe it is, and what we collectively believe to be the 'wage' is only reserved for the chosen few.

I have no idea to be honest, could be that the higher earners are on bonkers money, with the others getting what seems more reasonable.

Four main clues here (apart from the wage demands):

• he scored eight goals last season;
  • he’s a one-goal-in-six striker;
  • he’s playing in League Two; and
  • he’s had a bad time for 18 months.

@tin has helpfully given us the players that fulfil the first criteria. Excellent work.

The 1 in 6 ratio is very useful. If he scored 8 goals last season then that means he played 48(ish) games (assuming MacAnthony is capable of basic arithmetic). Looking at some of the deeper stats on these guys it looks like MacAnthony is talking League games/goals only. Therefore we should rule out Phillips, Lapslie, Randall, Kayode, and McCalmont as they all scored at a much better ratio of league Goals:Games. McCalmont is the worst of that group of 5 and even he got nearly 1 in 4.

Wildig, Loft, and Woolrey probably go onto a 'maybe' pile in case MacAnthony is exaggerating.

So that leaves Alessandra, Williams and May as the three most likely. Have any of them "had a bad time for 18 months"? Hard to say as MacAnthony doesn't define "a bad time" but lets assume he means it solely in a footballing sense (because hasn't everyone had a pretty crap 18 months otherwise?) and so is talking about a player who doesn't play much, or is bad when they do play, or maybe has been injured. The records for Alessandra, Williams and May across all comps for the last two seasons are annoyingly similar:

image.png.43ef12b21604fe349625c95a2a5f80c7.png

However, Williams was Northampton's top scorer as they got to and won the L2 play-offs in 2019/20. They also got to the 4th round of the FA Cup that season. He was then released and went to Cheltenham, where he's played regularly. I don't think that is "a bad time" and so will discount him.

Alessandra was released by Notts County at the end of 2018/19. He then signed for Morecombe that summer, but left to join Carlisle in the winter transfer window of 2019/20. But he's done ok at Carlisle since as they've knocked around in L2's mid-table. Maybe not a stellar 18 months but not particularly "bad".

And so we are left with Mr. Alfie May. He's just about got the worst record of the three over the past 18 months. Those 37 games in 2019/20 are split across Doncaster and Cheltenham, who he joined in January 2020. He was also looking for a move this summer as a supposed return to Doncaster fell through in June 2021. Whilst not the worst 18 months that could be had - this seems like it could just about qualify as "a bad time". May is also the youngest of the three at 28. Williams is 35 and Alessandra is 32 and so it would seem audacious to the point of disbelief if either of those two were demanding a 1 million pound release fee...but a 28 year old...yeh he might have half an eye on Champ or PL club coming in for him next summer and might want to build that into his contract.

So, looking at all of this I reckon the mystery man is Alfie May.

I'd like to add here that I am currently living on my own as my wife is visiting family. It is raining this evening and I have just finished work. There is not much else for me to do tonight than look up the historic statistics of minor L2 strikers.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Its actually £5k in the Championship and £9k if they make it to the Prem. If MacAnthony thinks either of those figures is high, then I think we can safely assume they are the lowest payers in this league by a considerable margin.

I just looked and the average L2 salary is around 1k per week, so I think DA is laughing at the fact that the player in question is demanding 5x that when they haven’t set it alight at that level, even if he thinks he might be able to do a job for them.

For comparison, Zac Vyner is reportedly on £2.3k per week and has a full season of championship football under his belt…

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Four main clues here (apart from the wage demands):

• he scored eight goals last season;
  • he’s a one-goal-in-six striker;
  • he’s playing in League Two; and
  • he’s had a bad time for 18 months.

@tin has helpfully given us the players that fulfil the first criteria. Excellent work.

The 1 in 6 ratio is very useful. If he scored 8 goals last season then that means he played 48(ish) games (assuming MacAnthony is capable of basic arithmetic). Looking at some of the deeper stats on these guys it looks like MacAnthony is talking League games/goals only. Therefore we should rule out Phillips, Lapslie, Randall, Kayode, and McCalmont as they all scored at a much better ratio of league Goals:Games. McCalmont is the worst of that group of 5 and even he got nearly 1 in 4.

Wildig, Loft, and Woolrey probably go onto a 'maybe' pile in case MacAnthony is exaggerating.

So that leaves Alessandra, Williams and May as the three most likely. Have any of them "had a bad time for 18 months"? Hard to say as MacAnthony doesn't define "a bad time" but lets assume he means it solely in a footballing sense (because hasn't everyone had a pretty crap 18 months otherwise?) and so is talking about a player who doesn't play much, or is bad when they do play, or maybe has been injured. The records for Alessandra, Williams and May across all comps for the last two seasons are annoyingly similar:

image.png.43ef12b21604fe349625c95a2a5f80c7.png

However, Williams was Northampton's top scorer as they got to and won the L2 play-offs in 2019/20. They also got to the 4th round of the FA Cup that season. He was then released and went to Cheltenham, where he's played regularly. I don't think that is "a bad time" and so will discount him.

Alessandra was released by Notts County at the end of 2018/19. He then signed for Morecombe that summer, but left to join Carlisle in the winter transfer window of 2019/20. But he's done ok at Carlisle since as they've knocked around in L2's mid-table. Maybe not a stellar 18 months but not particularly "bad".

And so we are left with Mr. Alfie May. He's just about got the worst record of the three over the past 18 months. Those 37 games in 2019/20 are split across Doncaster and Cheltenham, who he joined in January 2020. He was also looking for a move this summer as a supposed return to Doncaster fell through in June 2021. Whilst not the worst 18 months that could be had - this seems like it could just about qualify as "a bad time". May is also the youngest of the three at 28. Williams is 35 and Alessandra is 32 and so it would seem audacious to the point of disbelief if either of those two were demanding a 1 million pound release fee...but a 28 year old...yeh he might have half an eye on Champ or PL club coming in for him next summer and might want to build that into his contract.

So, looking at all of this I reckon the mystery man is Alfie May.

I'd like to add here that I am currently living on my own as my wife is visiting family. It is raining this evening and I have just finished work. There is not much else for me to do tonight than look up the historic statistics of minor L2 strikers.

Nice detective work….when I saw the 8 goal scorer list initially, my gut feel was Alfie May. I would imagine he’s on £2-3k p.w following promotion (Cheltenham now Lg1), so no harm in him asking for £5k p.w imho.  You don’t have to give him it….Dmac obviously didn’t.  Release clause of £1m be me a bit if a piss-take depending on the fee agreed with Cheltenham.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice detective work….when I saw the 8 goal scorer list initially, my gut feel was Alfie May. I would imagine he’s on £2-3k p.w following promotion (Cheltenham now Lg1), so no harm in him asking for £5k p.w imho.  You don’t have to give him it….Dmac obviously didn’t.  Release clause of £1m be me a bit if a piss-take depending on the fee agreed with Cheltenham.

Cheers. I killed half an hour of my evening with it.

I didn't really look at Wildig, Loft, and Woolrey in the end, but I think it's probably May, with a little bit of hyperbole from MacAnthony.

Honestly as others have said, the wages and release clause don't seem crazy for an average Champ club. But maybe Posh aren't operating on that kind of budget? So maybe it is just specifically laughable to Posh.

Archived