IGNORED

Ian Holloway article

Bat Fastard

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I'm all for stability, though it can turn into stagnation. But stability isn't helped by a constant churn of players, or indeed tactics.

It's not just the manager though. If we had had a CEO who had financial discipline and an experienced DoF to mentor LJ things might have turned out differently perhaps.

Nail. On. Head. 

I was all for LJ having plenty of time, a lot changed under his leadership, but it got to that point where we stopped going forward. It had to change. I'd have got rid of Ashton first, though

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

If it’s ghost written it’s a poor job. I have some sympathy with his views on stability in general, but I really didn’t need to know about his personal struggles to build a garden shed! It’s the sort of rambling monologue you’d get from the pub bore. 

or a chicken run.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

What the **** has anything to do with us got to do with him?

They could literally get someone out of the pub in BS3 who knows more.

I find this constant attempt by the local media to try & tie both clubs into the same article really truly ******* tedious.

There are far more differences than similarities but still they persist.

Next week Hollowhead  discusses the merits of apples and oranges.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does it come down to respect? 

It seems many players 'downed tools' for Dean and many have paid for that by not being at the club anymore. Nigel, du to his record should gain immediate respect.

If that's the case, it's a bloody poor show by 'professional' players.

We may never know unless someone from inside the camp spills the beans.  It did seem that some players let their heads drop when we all needed them to show a lot more spirit. If we lose then at least lose after giving your all.

21 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Dean Holden had a golden start but this collapsed when much of his squad suffered from injuries. Nigel did not fare better with the same depleted squad. One could argue that Nigel is better placed to clear out dead wood and recruit a new squad on lower wages, but that is simply a reflection on the previously unheard of Covid problem.  

Dean Holden was out of his depth to be a Manager at this level. We relied on luck vs Coventry and Forest in those opening 4 games (Bentley on fire), his tactics were the worst I have seen from a City manager in my time following (20 years) and his subs were of pub league standard (chuck 4 strikers on the pitch and hit it into the box). Truth is we were hanging on in most games before the shocking run of results happened in February.
Sacking Johnson was the right thing to do but employing Holden at that time was an horrendous decision, although the injuries did not help him or Nigel Pearson last season.

50 minutes ago, Leveller said:

If it’s ghost written it’s a poor job. I have some sympathy with his views on stability in general, but I really didn’t need to know about his personal struggles to build a garden shed! It’s the sort of rambling monologue you’d get from the pub bore. 

Agreed, but the content on Bristol Live (with the exception of James Piercy) is poor IMO.

Proper journalism principles have gone out of the window by and large. Just last week, I was chatting to someone who works for Mirror Online and he's being actively encouraged by his news editor to crib work from others without verifying the sources. Content for content's sake, and highly unethical. 

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ian Holloway: Bristol City and Bristol Rovers fans must learn from lessons of Johnson and Garner - Ian Holloway - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

I admit to being conflicted that I end up agreeing with virtually everything that Holloway says about City in this article. I have no idea about the rovers stuff because I don't follow their decline.

The benefit of stability if too often overlooked and "love the one you're with" seems to be good advice to all fans. I did not agree with the dumping of Lee Johnson but we are where we are and I hope we give Nigel all the time and space that he needs to achieve the results we all want to see. I suppose I should say, Well sad Ian Holloway - although it pains me. Tin hat on.

I read that like a puff piece about how good I am with bits about City and rovers chucked in!
And the bit about City was nonsense admittedly I know little about Rovers plight other than their shit! 
but he mentioned His time at Grimsby their fans hate him, then goes off tangent about what he’s been doing in the lockdown! 
Blokes a prize *****!

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ian Holloway: Bristol City and Bristol Rovers fans must learn from lessons of Johnson and Garner - Ian Holloway - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

I admit to being conflicted that I end up agreeing with virtually everything that Holloway says about City in this article. I have no idea about the rovers stuff because I don't follow their decline.

The benefit of stability if too often overlooked and "love the one you're with" seems to be good advice to all fans. I did not agree with the dumping of Lee Johnson but we are where we are and I hope we give Nigel all the time and space that he needs to achieve the results we all want to see. I suppose I should say, Well sad Ian Holloway - although it pains me. Tin hat on.

Was that a Freudian slip?........"Well SAD Ian Holloway"

33 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We may never know unless someone from inside the camp spills the beans.  It did seem that some players let their heads drop when we all needed them to show a lot more spirit. If we lose then at least lose after giving your all.

We do know - the replacement manager (Nigel Pearson) told us several times in the 3 months that he was in short-term charge here - that some our professionals weren’t very professional.

7 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

I read that like a puff piece about how good I am with bits about City and rovers chucked in!
And the bit about City was nonsense admittedly I know little about Rovers plight other than their shit! 
but he mentioned His time at Grimsby their fans hate him, then goes off tangent about what he’s been doing in the lockdown! 
Blokes a prize *****!

The bit about the wall was meant to illustrate that we can all make mistakes and the shed building was to illustrate that you can complete a project even if you lack finely honed skills.  The bit that I liked was about the notion of continuity. It is easy to criticise mistakes (like his wall, and easy to scoff when a less skilled carpenter tries to build a shed, but maybe it is not a bad ideas to criticise less and support more. Call me old fashioned but I usually get frustrated at the cost and staffing implications of frequest management changes. It often seems to waste cash without always bringing the desired uptick in fortunes.  Sometimes it does work.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We do know - the replacement manager (Nigel Pearson) told us several times in the 3 months that he was in short-term charge here - that some our professionals weren’t very professional.

I was puzzled that Nigel could not influence the non injured players to come up to the required mark.  

We gave LJ nothing BUT patience.......while him and his boy wonder side kick MA squandered a fortune on mis managed contracts and random signings  of  a round peg/square hole variety?   Just when LJ might have started to get somewhere on occasions, his ego and ridiculous notions would intervene, to take us two steps backwards from our initial one step forward.   I strongly suspect if LJ had been given the same circumstances as Holden and subsequently Nige, we could have been relegated.  I guess we will never know?..........but for sure, LJ was given  sufficient time to build and operate a successful side, but was not up to it.

I wish him well at Plunderland, where he will hopefully reign in his ego, and learn from the mistakes he made while in charge here?

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think it was the opposite, he gave the players enough rope to hang themselves and see who was worth keeping and up for the fight

I would have expected a new manager to try to lift a dispirited team.  Maybe the number of injuries were just too much for him to handle - as it had been for Dean Holden?

Disagree with Holloway, based on the following...

- LJ was given ample time.

- We DID NOT have an identity, we went from formation to formation with random players...unless he's suggesting that was our identity!

- Under LJ we went on our worst ever losing run in our history. At what point do you say enough is enough? And yet LJ was still backed.

- Unfortunately come the end, we started finishing lower down the table, with the prospect of not being able to throw any more money at it.

- The previous summer LJ said he knew the players required to take us to the next level, and to back him. The club did, and we went backwards.

- At Sunderland he may be riding high, but what happens When the slump in form comes? We've seen it MULTIPLE times that he couldn't address it.

From my pov, LJ was backed and didn't ultimately deliver, so sorry Ian....You're wrong in this instance.

27 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was puzzled that Nigel could not influence the non injured players to come up to the required mark.  

Because they didn’t want to.  They’d gotten away with it.  Now they had someone in charge who saw that.  You either shape up or you know your fate.  It only takes one or two, and they had contracts expiring, so they had no real carrot to play for.  They knew they’d been rumbled.  Nige eventually resorted to playing the kids.  He didn’t want to….said regularly he worried about damaging them by not giving them the best environment to succeed.

So that’s why!

Archived