IGNORED

Ian Holloway article

Bat Fastard

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I would have expected a new manager to try to lift a dispirited team.  Maybe the number of injuries were just too much for him to handle - as it had been for Dean Holden?

I’m sure he tried that….then over a period of time he recognised the character traits of some.  Injuries meant he couldn’t swap those players out…unless he played the kids.  Ultimately that’s what he had to do.

Holden was a bit unlucky.  But a bit naive too.  He allowed Ashton and SL to execute a terrible re-contracting strategy that summer…that played a big part.  As we’ve seen with the summer released list, there’s no way Nige would have let the same thing happen.  If you take Nagy, and go back a year, then Diedhiou would’ve either signed a new deal or been moved on.  He would not have been allowed to run his contract down at a cost to City.

That’s the differences.

I liked Holden I didn’t have a problem with him getting the job, but he showed his inexperience and naivety throughout that 6 months.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because they didn’t want to.  They’d gotten away with it.  Now they had someone in charge who saw that.  You either shape up or you know your fate.  It only takes one or two, and they had contracts expiring, so they had no real carrot to play for.  They knew they’d been rumbled.  Nige eventually resorted to playing the kids.  He didn’t want to….said regularly he worried about damaging them by not giving them the best environment to succeed.

So that’s why!

I wonder if they thought they might be able to do the bare minimum and get Pearson the boot at the end of the season for poor results, then have a new manager keep them on as a consistency/stability thing.

I'm sure a few of them weren't too happy at the end of last year.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure he tried that….then over a period of time he recognised the character traits of some.  Injuries meant he couldn’t swap those players out…unless he played the kids.  Ultimately that’s what he had to do.

Holden was a bit unlucky.  But a bit naive too.  He allowed Ashton and SL to execute a terrible re-contracting strategy that summer…that played a big part.  As we’ve seen with the summer released list, there’s no way Nige would have let the same thing happen.  If you take Nagy, and go back a year, then Diedhiou would’ve either signed a new deal or been moved on.  He would not have been allowed to run his contract down at a cost to City.

That’s the differences.

I liked Holden I didn’t have a problem with him getting the job, but he showed his inexperience and naivety throughout that 6 months.

The past has gone and the future must be out concern now. I would like to see Nigel given a dozen years or so to really develop the club. I fear that a further  run of bad  luck could cause a clamour for a change that would not benefit us in the long run.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

I wonder if they thought they might be able to do the bare minimum and get Pearson the boot at the end of the season for poor results, then have a new manager keep them on as a consistency/stability thing.

That thought had crossed my mind too.  I feared Nige might also walk away too.  I think we need to give Nige credit for taking this on.  I also think SL needs some too.  Because it looks like he’s had to accept he’d taken his eye off the ball, and he then gave Nige a 3 year deal and backing to design a plan and sort it out.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Maybe they realised that the rump of the squad chosen on matchday was simply not strong enough to cope given the huge injury list.  I still think that the attitude of certain players was disappointing.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

The past has gone and the future must be out concern now. I would like to see Nigel given a dozen years or so to really develop the club. I fear that a further  run of bad  luck could cause a clamour for a change that would not benefit us in the long run.

Is that you agreeing with me?  Does it make sense that Nige and Deano’s situations were quite different?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Playing Devil’s advocate, perhaps Nige wouldn’t have played some of the fatigued players, maybe he wouldn’t have rushed returning injured players back? Maybe he wouldn’t have got to a point where he had a badly depleted squad in the first place.  Maybe he wouldn’t have later in the season got to a point where contract situations completely undermined players efforts too.

Looking forward to looking back at this season.  Will be some interesting areas to look at.

The problems with injuries last season we're more to do with no proper pre-season, the last game of 19/20 was played on 22 July so difficult to compare with this season. Dean Holden was unfortunate, not sure how we'd cope now if Martin, Weimann, Baker etc were injured long term as happened last year 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Is that you agreeing with me?  Does it make sense that Nige and Deano’s situations were quite different?

Maybe Dean Holden was overwhelmed with the injury crisis. Nigel coped no better with the same issues when he inherited the squad.  I believe that both were/are good candidates and have/had the ability to succeed. Nigel would clearly be better placed to perform a root and branch overhaul of the squad in view of his experience.  We will never know what really happened unless someone spills the beans and then you may have to consider that that individual might have a self protecting agenda.  We have to move on, and I would like to see continuity with the only manager who is now in a position to achieve that - viz Nigel.

I have more confidence in NP taking us to the premier League than I had in LJ to be honest. 

I feel really optimitistic currently. The three year plan feels realistic to me and it's based on a model that has worked before. The last season under LJ I felt like we were heading into League one in a few seasons. 

41 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I would have expected a new manager to try to lift a dispirited team.  Maybe the number of injuries were just too much for him to handle - as it had been for Dean Holden?

I think he did initially, then seen how deep the rot had set in and different fractions in the camp, then set about seeing the real character of some here and which boils needed to be lanced

15 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Maybe they realised that the rump of the squad chosen on matchday was simply not strong enough to cope given the huge injury list.  I still think that the attitude of certain players was disappointing.

Perhaps - it was quite clear as you said that the attitude of some players was disappointing. The question is then, why? You'd expect when a new manager comes in they'd be looking to prove themselves, show what they can do, earn their next contract... but they didn't. I'm just musing on possible reasons for that!

Some players (Massengo for example) certainly stepped up and showed what they can do, why didn't the others?

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That thought had crossed my mind too.  I feared Nige might also walk away too.  I think we need to give Nige credit for taking this on.  I also think SL needs some too.  Because it looks like he’s had to accept he’d taken his eye off the ball, and he then gave Nige a 3 year deal and backing to design a plan and sort it out.

I guess we'll never know.

Maybe they were just as sick as we were at City and the decisions that have been made over the last few years (and a lot we don't even know about!), mucked around on their contracts, seeing other players get extended almost at random, rookie manager they didn't respect, Pearson comes in and gives them a royal bollocking - and just wanted out. Not too unreasonable imo, although I still think it's unprofessional.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I guess we'll never know.

Maybe they were just as sick as we were at City and the decisions that have been made over the last few years (and a lot we don't even know about!), mucked around on their contracts, seeing other players get extended almost at random, rookie manager they didn't respect, Pearson comes in and gives them a royal bollocking - and just wanted out. Not too unreasonable imo, although I still think it's unprofessional.

The problem seemed to stem from fielding weak teams. The kids are very good but not up to the demanding standards of the Championship.  I agree that the attitude was disappointing and that that is a sad reflection on their professionalism.  I wonder if our current medical team could have stopped the rot.

4 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ian Holloway: Bristol City and Bristol Rovers fans must learn from lessons of Johnson and Garner - Ian Holloway - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

I admit to being conflicted that I end up agreeing with virtually everything that Holloway says about City in this article. I have no idea about the rovers stuff because I don't follow their decline.

The benefit of stability if too often overlooked and "love the one you're with" seems to be good advice to all fans. I did not agree with the dumping of Lee Johnson but we are where we are and I hope we give Nigel all the time and space that he needs to achieve the results we all want to see. I suppose I should say, Well sad Ian Holloway - although it pains me. Tin hat on.

How can he be right? Lee Johnson was the worst manager in our history. His whole time here was a failure. I simply refuse to believe we reached a cup semi final and challenged for thé play-offs twice. 

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I remember when some city fans wanted this clown as our manager and clapped him when walking out at Ashton Gate. Must be a different era of fan. Blokes a gas ***** 

Not me. I would always sing with lust the song that advised Irene what to do!

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

How can he be right? Lee Johnson was the worst manager in our history. His whole time here was a failure. I simply refuse to believe we reached a cup semi final and challenged for thé play-offs twice. 

We can never know of course. Young managers can develop and improve by learning their trade, just as young players can improve from season to season.  All that is now gone, but I hope that Nigel will be allowed to really develop the playing side of the club in order to match the development of the infrastructure.  Bristol should have a team in the top flight and we are the only real candidates - unless you include the Mangos.

32 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The problems with injuries last season we're more to do with no proper pre-season, the last game of 19/20 was played on 22 July so difficult to compare with this season. Dean Holden was unfortunate, not sure how we'd cope now if Martin, Weimann, Baker etc were injured long term as happened last year 

Pre-season the initial cause.

Recurring failed rehabs is something very different though.

That is something we are gonna need to monitor this season.  Let’s hope the players are more robust.  I still have a fear that the previous medical team permanently damaged the likes of Williams, Walsh (now at Swansea), O’Dowda etc.  I desperately hope not.

There was definitely an element of flogging players and playing injured players….Martin, Rowe and Paterson.  Better management of fatigue would’ve sorted out some players then becoming long term injuries.

My opinion and that is all I have is that had Nige had Dean’s squad all last season, even missing the likes of Baker, Williams and Walsh pre-season he would’ve handled the squad better, 1) from a fatigue / recurring injury perspective and 2) from a motivation perspective because he’d have sorted the contract issues. Ultimately I don’t think we end 20/21 in the mess we did.  But that is just my opinion.

He is completely out of touch with reality. Graham C put it in a nutshell.

What I find mind boggling is the Post giving him a platform to spout from. Maybe once again its their sag love in coming to the fore yet again.  

Irrespective of individual views on Lee Johnson he was given full backing by the board and the fan base. He is without doubt a very good coach but he ran out of ideas to take us to that next level. The one thing the board and this football club does is back the manager, very often too much. Has he missed that point?

It shows how much he knows by insinuating that both clubs have made the same mistakes yet in reality we couldn't be more polar opposite. The only thing we have in common is the word Bristol. Something he seems reluctant to accept.

Then again if you feel the need to tell the reading public and drone on about fixing a screw right through a wall and that you've built your own garden shed like we really need to read about his questionable D.I.Y talents then maybe its the "frequent gardening leave" he's endured that has helped him hone his talents. 

Like him or loathe him Holloway has done what no City manager has done for many decades in getting a team promoted to the Premier League. Whatever we think of him that makes him a rarity as a Bristolian and therefore understandable that the local press turn to him for comments and opinion. That he is also outspoken and controversial and divides opinion only makes him more attractive to a publication that survives on click bait. I imagine that judging by the response on here Bristol Live have achieved  exactly what they wanted to. If you don’t like Ian Holloway don’t read it because in doing so and responding you are guaranteeing that he will get plenty more offers from Bristol Live. 

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

If it’s ghost written it’s a poor job. I have some sympathy with his views on stability in general, but I really didn’t need to know about his personal struggles to build a garden shed! It’s the sort of rambling monologue you’d get from the pub bore. 

Should have got someone to price him up a chicken shed instead

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Like him or loathe him Holloway has done what no City manager has done for many decades in getting a team promoted to the Premier League. Whatever we think of him that makes him a rarity as a Bristolian and therefore understandable that the local press turn to him for comments and opinion. That he is also outspoken and controversial and divides opinion only makes him more attractive to a publication that survives on click bait. I imagine that judging by the response on here Bristol Live have achieved  exactly what they wanted to. If you don’t like Ian Holloway don’t read it because in doing so and responding you are guaranteeing that he will get plenty more offers from Bristol Live. 

I would read an article even if I didn’t like author if I thought that it might be interesting.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I remember when some city fans wanted this clown as our manager and clapped him when walking out at Ashton Gate. Must be a different era of fan. Blokes a gas ***** 

I don’t rate him as a manager or as a writer(!) However, I have no problem with someone loyally supporting another club, whoever they may be. Better that than a flip-flopping glory hunter. I think he’s a man of limited intellect, but reasonably honourable and with a genuine desire to see Bristol/West Country football at a higher level across the board.

As long as we’re the top club in the region, I’m generally happy to see the others doing relatively well too.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don’t rate him as a manager or as a writer(!) However, I have no problem with someone loyally supporting another club, whoever they may be. Better that than a flip-flopping glory hunter. I think he’s a man of limited intellect, but reasonably honourable and with a genuine desire to see Bristol/West Country football at a higher level across the board.

As long as we’re the top club in the region, I’m generally happy to see the others doing relatively well too.

Fair play. But not for me 

Archived