IGNORED

Ian Holloway article

Bat Fastard

5 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

I'm someone who thinks LJ by and large did a decent job here

Kept us up & then turned us into an established Championship club..

For that we should be grateful & thank him for his efforts...

Unfortunately the shine had come off,,, - we'd grown apart.

That reminds me,,I haven't seen the wife for three weeks - said she was only popping to Sainsbury's ?.

7 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The article just proves what city fans know the guy is a rambling idiot. He starts the article, by answering his own question and then contradicts himself by saying patients is needed for the rebuilding job. Well if LJ was doing so well, and Holden carried on more as less as was, then why do we need a massive re-building job?

Where do you think your clubs would be now if Ben Garner had remained Rovers manager and Lee Johnson was still in charge at Ashton Gate?

I think the honest answer in both cases is better off. And that’s why at a time when we are all celebrating the return of crowds to our stadiums, I want to issue a message to supporters of both Bristol clubs.

It is to get firmly behind Joey Barton and Nigel Pearson and show a high degree of patience as they perform much-needed rebuilding operations.

To justify how well LJ was doing he harps back to when we were playing very well back in 17-18, but misses that the wheels came off and a downward spiral ever since

But to answer you question dick head, where would we be somewhere between relegated and bankrupt. LJ moved the club forward and sure he is a good manager, but it was passed time to leave as he had run out of idea's 

It was an awful article and the obvious comment you bolded does not sit well with the under lying point regarding City being better off with LJ and the supporters needing to get behind the manager, the answers are no and of course! 

Despite the odd knob wit on here the fans are very much behind Pearson as most can clearly see what an effing mess he inherited from the LJ Ashton Holden era! 

Skeletors thoughts on this club are as irrelevant to me as the god awful click bate ads you get when going on that god awful website!

In recent weeks the writers of such garbage have comie under more scrutiny than ever and that crap makes me want to read their drivel even less!

20 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Not me. I would always sing with lust the song that advised Irene what to do!

Just like many things, songs evolve.

When I was (much) younger, I used to join in enthustiastically with the song 'Irene's a scrubber'.

I suspect that, if such a song was to be sung today, many of our younger fans would wonder what on earth we were singing about ?

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just like many things, songs evolve.

When I was (much) younger, I used to join in enthustiastically with the song 'Irene's a scrubber'.

I suspect that, if such a song was to be sung today, many of our younger fans would wonder what on earth we were singing about ?

That sounds great - what was the tune?

2 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Wouldn’t call it a collapse ?‍♂️ Left us in a strong position which a top Championship manager was happy to walk in to may I remind you.

Our reputation and also long term/short term ambitions were not hindered by LJ or MA as much as some of you (for God knows what reason) wish it to be so.

Our best players are all signings from that era. We have made money on others. It looks like we are going to be competitive this season.

This vendetta against MA and LJ is pointless.

Let it go!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

1 hour ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

What mess he’s very happy with the squad at the moment of which the majority were signed under MA

Bloated unbalanced squad ?

14 Players out of contract ?

Very poor fitness ?

Shockingly poor injury record ?

Our one time most expensive player and top scorer allowed to run his contract out ?

Could be what @REDOXO was on about.
Pearson was restricted in what he could do, limited transfer budget etc, obviously LJ & MA signed most of the squad, they signed over 60 players in 3 years. 

As for a vendetta, have you never criticised a manager/owner/player for what they did or after they've left? LJ was full of ideas and no direction, could & should have been sacked well before he was. Ashton was an unlikeable BS artist who's entire time here was spent in front of a camera when thing went well, or we had signed another player. Or he was AWOL when things were going badly. 

Pearson seems to have brought an organisation and direction that seemed missing. Under LJ & MA we were going backwards quickly , the last season 36% win ratio (which is OKish) but I think it was 1 win in 11 to end his tenure (no wins in 9). I think Nige was happy to take over because there is potential here, but I think the fact we struggled so badly even with NP , shows how badly the squad mindset , confidence and direction had slipped.

All about opinions , but the majority I feel don't miss LJ or MA for a second.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Bloated unbalanced squad ?

14 Players out of contract ?

Very poor fitness ?

Shockingly poor injury record ?

Our one time most expensive player and top scorer allowed to run his contract out ?

Could be what @REDOXO was on about.
Pearson was restricted in what he could do, limited transfer budget etc, obviously LJ & MA signed most of the squad, they signed over 60 players in 3 years. 

As for a vendetta, have you never criticised a manager/owner/player for what they did or after they've left? LJ was full of ideas and no direction, could & should have been sacked well before he was. Ashton was an unlikeable BS artist who's entire time here was spent in front of a camera when thing went well, or we had signed another player. Or he was AWOL when things were going badly. 

Pearson seems to have brought an organisation and direction that seemed missing. Under LJ & MA we were going backwards quickly , the last season 36% win ratio (which is OKish) but I think it was 1 win in 11 to end his tenure (no wins in 9). I think Nige was happy to take over because there is potential here, but I think the fact we struggled so badly even with NP , shows how badly the squad mindset , confidence and direction had slipped.

All about opinions , but the majority I feel don't miss LJ or MA for a second.

Think what you’ve summed up is:

• LJ / MA signed decent enough players on paper in the main, but…
  • there was not enough thought into how they’d fit into a playing system, because…
  • there was no playing system, which meant…
  • it looked unbalanced and therefore bloated in certain positions, gaps in others (you can’t flip flop between 442 and 352 without a big squad)
  • LJ / MA unable to rein each other in, SL absent in Guernsey

That to me makes it a bit of a mess.  Inherited by Holden who had little money to rectify.  He fell into the same hole by going 352 (variant) and then changing to a back 4 fairly quickly.  He sold Eliasson as you don’t need wingers in a 352, then found himself playing 433.  At least we got a fee for him.

So Holden / MA left a bit of a mess too, mainly as a result of the contract situation, backed by SL - we will get our value on the pitch!!!.

I do see Luke’s argument (paraphrased) “it’s the players signed by LJ / MA”, but what we are seeing is signs of a manager who is able to:

• Build a team on limited finances (this years cost base will be the lowest since 16/17 our second season up - I actually feel we are back at that stage….meaning we’ve gone backwards 5 years!
  • Evidence by actions not just words - LJ said “I’m a builder….” one season, then “I’m a gardener…” - it was basically all talk.  Nige just tells us straight and then does it.  If MA was here Nagy’s transfer would’ve been “sorry that’s commercially sensitive” because it would maje him look bad, with Nige “yes it was a free”.
  • work with what he’s got and solve problems internally without needing to go into the transfer market every time we hit a bump in the road

As above I think we’ve reset to 16/17 (we’ve part wasted 5 seasons). LJ needed a Nigel Pearson character around then, not a CEO who was more David Brent than he was.

Lets hope that if we have gone back to 16/17 that we follow through the first half of 17/18 next.

Exactly @Davefevs, there were very few players brought in I would complain about , but too many of similar standard & positions.
Plus, as you say , if you don't have a preferred system then you can't recruit for it. 
At a time we didn't always play wingers, we had ;
Paterson , Eliasson , Leko, Kent, ODowda & Rory Holden (stretching the point a bit with the last one)

Really , as a fan base we should be fed up with Pearson (last seasons run was really poor), but I think everyone is sick of the awful football and muddled team selections. It is nice just to see a team working and willing to get and keep the ball. 
We have not just wasted 5 years, but a time when we had the backing to make a good team. We could heave brought in real quality, but wasted money buying 2/3 players for every position instead. 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Exactly @Davefevs, there were very few players brought in I would complain about , but too many of similar standard & positions.
Plus, as you say , if you don't have a preferred system then you can't recruit for it. 
At a time we didn't always play wingers, we had ;
Paterson , Eliasson , Leko, Kent, ODowda & Rory Holden (stretching the point a bit with the last one)

Really , as a fan base we should be fed up with Pearson (last seasons run was really poor), but I think everyone is sick of the awful football and muddled team selections. It is nice just to see a team working and willing to get and keep the ball. 
We have not just wasted 5 years, but a time when we had the backing to make a good team. We could heave brought in real quality, but wasted money buying 2/3 players for every position instead. 

Very good last point….in financial terms we are in a worse position that 16/17.  We are also hamstrung for the next two / three seasons unless we can sell “big”, which of course the fans will see as lack of ambition.

We are hoping that Nige can build quickly but also retain whoever the stars might turn out to be, so they can push together.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very good last point….in financial terms we are in a worse position that 16/17.  We are also hamstrung for the next two / three seasons unless we can sell “big”, which of course the fans will see as lack of ambition.

We are hoping that Nige can build quickly but also retain whoever the stars might turn out to be, so they can push together.

Incredibly difficult to sell to build in the current market I guess. If we sell Kalas, we wouldn't get our money back. If we had someone lined up for say the £1.5m we paid for Atkinson. How much extra would we get ? Not too much I expect. Plus would he step in at the same level? Doubtful.
Same with Bentley. IMO the only way we get decent money is a Prem side wants a younger player, Semenyo, Bakinson or Scott. Even then I think in these times, a deal would be weighted towards add ons. 

I really think we are relying on Nige to conjure another Vardy, but for half the price. 

9 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

What mess he’s very happy with the squad at the moment of which the majority were signed under MA

Not sure what you mean mate

Oh I see! I refer you to  the comments made subsequently about our shocking etc etc etc etc! By 1960citymaan

Archived