IGNORED

Players and historic use of social media.

cityexile

So, Marc Bola the Middlesbrough defender has now been charged by FA over what I assume from the article is a homophobic post. Not nice or to be condoned, but here is the kicker...it was made 9 years ago when he was 14.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58435485

Is this where we are now? Should agents/clubs like ours be going through players historic social media and getting deleted everything not appropriate? Make it part of new contracts? If we are unhappy with how a player has played against us...just trawl their social media for a bit of pay back?

Not wanting to get in to the ‘cancel outrage’ many seem to enjoy playing too, but surely there can be a common sense approach where the FA can say ‘not a professional at that age, and a child, go away’.

Abusive posts by professionals are wrong, and can ‘bring the game in to disrepute’. Sure. Wherever you draw the line surely this is well over it. If any of our players got caught up in this I would not be happy. Sure in this case it might be a minor slap on the wrists, but sadly this stuff can stick as people chose then to lose the context.

Just glad there was no social media when I was 14. Ho hum. Anyhow, is ‘all players should now go through their history on SM now and tidy it up’ just now sensible advice?

13 minutes ago, cityexile said:

So, Marc Bola the Middlesbrough defender has now been charged by FA over what I assume from the article is a homophobic post. Not nice or to be condoned, but here is the kicker...it was made 9 years ago when he was 14.

Is this where we are now? Should agents/clubs like ours be going through players historic social media and getting deleted everything not appropriate? Make it part of new contracts? If we are unhappy with how a player has played against us...just trawl their social media for a bit of pay back?

Not wanting to get in to the ‘cancel outrage’ many seem to enjoy playing too, but surely there can be a common sense approach where the FA can say ‘not a professional at that age, and a child, go away’.

Abusive posts by professionals are wrong, and can ‘bring the game in to disrepute’. Sure. Wherever you draw the line surely this is well over it. If any of our players got caught up in this I would not be happy. Sure in this case it might be a minor slap on the wrists, but sadly this stuff can stick as people chose then to lose the context.

Just glad there was no social media when I was 14. Ho hum. Anyhow, is ‘all players should now go through their history on SM now and tidy it up’ just now sensible advice?

A bit daft to be disciplined for things said when one was a child. Your last sentence is probably sensible advice though, that all players should be clued into. Just delete anything embarrassing.

I always think Marc Bola should form a band called  T: Re.

36 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Yes

41 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

When I was 14 we used language about colour, gender, sexual preferences, nationality among many other subjects, that are now become totally inappropriate and offensive.

Should I be punished? I'm now 78 by the way.

41 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Well said. Wouldn’t disagree with any of that. Somebody, somewhere, really needs to get some sense of perspective on this issue of historic use of social media. Whilst contemporary or relatively recent transgressions should not be tolerated, going back the best part of a decade is highly questionable. When that length of time takes you to the individual ‘s early adolescence, it’s a nonsense. I thought what happened to Olly Robinson, the England fast bowler, was arguably a bit harsh, but this case is frankly absurd.

We need to know what he tweeted before a proper judgment can be made. I, for one am starting  to get tired to the knee jerk over the top reaction to ‘homophobia’.  If he’s been a really abusive towards gay people, wishing them ill will, and therefore the true meaning of homophobia then by all means throw the book at the idiot. If it is a folly of youth or terrible banter just put it down to his youth. If he’s apologised for it let’s move on. People shouldn’t really be accountable for misguided tweets years ago, if they hold their hands up and apologise

Probably the people getting offended by his ‘homophobia’ are straight people so politically correct it hurts who are behind the censoring of Dads Army, Are you being Served, and ‘Allo ‘Allo.

I find it laughable that he, and others could lose their careers over single lines they wrote when they were young, yet sections of the church of a variety of religions are free to peddle their own truly homophobic doctrines. 

let’s all grow up, all this being ‘woke’ if now turning into a joke

Lastly, I write this as a gay man myself.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

When I was 14 we used language about colour, gender, sexual preferences, nationality among many other subjects, that are now become totally inappropriate and offensive.

Should I be punished? I'm now 78 by the way.

And I’m 74 and would say something pretty similar about myself. Many, perhaps even most of us who grew up in that era would probably have to own up to that. Just how far do you stretch retrospective judgment? 

1 minute ago, gl1 said:

We need to know what he tweeted before a proper judgment can be made. I, for one am starting  to get tired to the knee jerk over the top reaction to ‘homophobia’.  If he’s been a really abusive towards gay people, wishing them ill will, and therefore the true meaning of homophobia then by all means throw the book at the idiot. If it is a folly of youth or terrible banter just put it down to his youth. If he’s apologised for it let’s move on. People shouldn’t really be accountable for misguided tweets years ago, if they hold their hands up and apologise

Probably the people getting offended by his ‘homophobia’ are straight people so politically correct it hurts who are behind the censoring of Dads Army, Are you being Served, and ‘Allo ‘Allo.

I find it laughable that he, and others could lose their careers over single lines they wrote when they were young, yet sections of the church of a variety of religions are free to peddle their own truly homophobic doctrines. 

let’s all grow up, all this being ‘woke’ if now turning into a joke

Lastly, I write this as a gay man myself.

Good for you mate, and again, well said. Most of us embrace more enlightened values these days, and rightly so, but this holier than thou, PC tripe has got completely out of hand.

Seems to me that the only people who will really benefit from this are those who want to resist actual important social change, and will use this as a "woke lefty"/"pc gone mad" argument against it.

He was a kid, hopefully he has grown up now and if not should be educated. Very harsh to punish him imo, we all said stupid stuff when we were young we now regret.

With things like this, I would love those doing the shouting and banning, to be investigated back to their school days to see what shit they may have said.
With everything, pier pressure, bullying, school yard politics and just growing up. I would expect that all of us were different people at 23 to what they were at secondary school. 

I've no problem if someone had been Tweeting shit a couple of years previously, but 9 years? A lot of growing up is done in that time 14-23. 

Just now, Rob k said:

So glad this social media wasn’t around when i was a kid 

Ain't we all.

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Good for you mate, and again, well said. Most of us embrace more enlightened values these days, and rightly so, but this holier than thou, PC tripe has got completely out of hand.

I find it wryly amusing that the people who seem to take offence to homophobia are primarily the straight ‘woke’ right on brigade, who get mortally offended when a gay person gets referred to in a way that they don’t feel is suitable.

it’s a shame they weren’t around in the 70s and 80s, when although legal, I couldn’t really express that I was gay in public for fear of a beating, the only gay role models were over exaggerated stereotypes of a sexuality that I shared and didn’t identify with. They didn’t stop the mortgage companies being able to refuse a mortgage if you were gay, or having to answer questions on ‘whether you slept with men’‘ on life insurance policies. Own up and premium rocketed or you are refused.

They were silent during the section 28 years, when Thatcher banned ‘promoting’  homosexuality (meaning talking about homosexuality in a positive way, or celebrating authors, musicians historical figures who were gay, in school lessons)

They were absent when Alan Turing of Enigma fame, was forcibly chemically castrated or be prosecuted for being gay, despite his work saving thousands of lives and shortening the war by years.

But now, here they are fighting my corner, even though I don’t want them to, due to a 14 year old writing shite on Twitter that if I knew what it was would probably make me laugh. 

The war against true homophobia ended years ago, and I, for one can live with and ignore children who really only make themselves look stupid on social media 

sorry for all this, rant over, it just really boils my blood, all this over the top PC

7 minutes ago, gl1 said:

I find it wryly amusing that the people who seem to take offence to homophobia are primarily the straight ‘woke’ right on brigade, who get mortally offended when a gay person gets referred to in a way that they don’t feel is suitable.

it’s a shame they weren’t around in the 70s and 80s, when although legal, I couldn’t really express that I was gay in public for fear of a beating, the only gay role models were over exaggerated stereotypes of a sexuality that I shared and didn’t identify with. They didn’t stop the mortgage companies being able to refuse a mortgage if you were gay, or having to answer questions on ‘whether you slept with men’‘ on life insurance policies. Own up and premium rocketed or you are refused.

They were silent during the section 28 years, when Thatcher banned ‘promoting’  homosexuality (meaning talking about homosexuality in a positive way, or celebrating authors, musicians historical figures who were gay, in school lessons)

They were absent when Alan Turing of Enigma fame, was forcibly chemically castrated or be prosecuted for being gay, despite his work saving thousands of lives and shortening the war by years.

But now, here they are fighting my corner, even though I don’t want them to, due to a 14 year old writing shite on Twitter that if I knew what it was would probably make me laugh. 

The war against true homophobia ended years ago, and I, for one can live with and ignore children who really only make themselves look stupid on social media 

sorry for all this, rant over, it just really boils my blood, all this over the top PC

I think you're being unfair here and unnecessarily divisive.

I take offense to homophobia, I'm straight, and I think the above is pretty stupid as I've said.

Many people still really struggle with their sexuality - how many openly gay footballers are there again? Why do you think that is if "the war against true homophobia ended years ago"?

About 4 years ago I worked in a customer complaint department dealing with a particularly difficult situation with a large number of customers (they were concerned they could die, they couldn't) and a Facebook page was set up which they all joined to discuss the resolution my company offered.

After one particular horrible guy told me that my Dad should have pulled out and that he was going to come to the office, hope I sit near the window and drive his truck through it, he took it upon himself to find me on Facebook and plaster my details all over the page. The people on there then went through my Facebook page and genuinely contacted my manager demanding I was sacked over a joke I made about Santa Claus 5 years earlier...

So it's not just footballers it happens to!

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I take offense to homophobia, I'm straight, and I think the above is pretty stupid as I've said.

Many people still really struggle with their sexuality - how many openly gay footballers are there again? Why do you think that is if "the war against true homophobia ended years ago"?

I can only speak for myself here, of course. Homophobia ended for me, when I could openly tell people I am gay without fear of an inevitable physical negative reaction or emotional distress. I feel we are now at a point where straight people like you, will support gay rights and support changes to the law, such as gay marriage, blood donorship etc.

The fact I can marry, pass my pension rights onto my same sex partner, enjoy the same rights to mortgages and insurances as you. I can enjoy the same level playing field as you at work  as I cannot be discriminated against for being gay. I can now legally be next of kin to my partner so should he go into hospital I can attend the bedside or assist in decisions about his treatment. I can join the police and army. All of these things I couldn’t do until the laws were changed and the ‘war against homophobia’ was for me, won.

we will never eradicate the small minority for are phobic against parts of society, gay, Muslim, Irish, black, gypsies but the tipping point went over years ago. I think I can claim the war to be over despite there being a tiny minority of bigots still around who in the main get shouted down by the majority. Back to the point in question, I don’t see these people who have tweeted tripe as bigots, they are more idiots who are probably quite embarrassed by their past. 

I wouldn’t point to the fact that there are no openly gay footballers meaning the war against homophobia is still raging. There is still work to do, but I am pretty content that we are almost there. I do find it odd that no one is out in football, as there is in the much more macho sport of rugby…

There are openly gay people in all sectors now, some sports, politicians, actors, musicians. Of course they always were there, it’s just now we don’t hide, and most people, like you are supportive. For that I thank you, and everyone else here, and outside of OTIB who is.

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

About 4 years ago I worked in a customer complaint department dealing with a particularly difficult situation with a large number of customers (they were concerned they could die, they couldn't) and a Facebook page was set up which they all joined to discuss the resolution my company offered.

After one particular horrible guy told me that my Dad should have pulled out and that he was going to come to the office, hope I sit near the window and drive his truck through it, he took it upon himself to find me on Facebook and plaster my details all over the page. The people on there then went through my Facebook page and genuinely contacted my manager demanding I was sacked over a joke I made about Santa Claus 5 years earlier...

So it's not just footballers it happens to!

…the best advert for not being on social media ever.

hope it worked out ok though? Did you report it to the police, I think threatening your life is a tad more serious about a joke about Father Christmas. 

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Maybe there aren’t a huge number of gay footballers? 

27 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Maybe there aren’t a huge number of gay footballers? 

Considering there are what, 92 teams in the top divisions with an average squad of maybe around 25 you'd expect out of those  roughly 2, 500 players a fair few at a guess!

56 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Considering there are what, 92 teams in the top divisions with an average squad of maybe around 25 you'd expect out of those  roughly 2, 500 players a fair few at a guess!

Not sure how they work the stats out but apparently 1 man in 25 is gay. So that’s a fair few.

Anyway, you know the difference between a straight man and a bisexual man?

6 pints

12 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Not sure how they work the stats out but apparently 1 man in 25 is gay. So that’s a fair few.

Anyway, you know the difference between a straight man and a bisexual man?

6 pints

6 Pints !!!!

God you must be a good looking bloke if im going to sleep you after only 6 pints!!

9 or 10 might start having a chat

A draw vs Barton & a pizza win vs Cheltenham u12s has got them very confident. Unfortunately, with Crawleys injuries I feel they probably will win anyway.

"Guaranteed win !!
Got good vibes about today and seeing Stu has started the thread as well it’s gonna be a win and a big one .
4-0 Gas , Pitman 2 , Nichols , Finley . "

5 hours ago, cityexile said:

This woke, cancel culture BS really makes me angry. Tell you what, let's drag up all the past indiscretions of the lowlife who indulge in 'outing' people - and I bet they'll be some doozies - and plaster that all across social media and MSM, and see how they like it! Of course, the only problem with this is that the Social Media platforms and the MSM are complicit most of the time in promoting the agenda of the Woke brigade.

4 hours ago, gl1 said:

Looking at the bold bit… I’m pretty sure I’ve been asked on a questionnaire recently if I’ve had sex with a man… but I can’t remember for the life of me what the questionnaire was about!

Anyone able to enlighten me as to what it might have been? (I’m not looking for silly answers here!)

Archived