IGNORED

Soccer Aid

The Coach

Perhaps it’s just me, lack of alcohol or lack of domestic football this weekend involving City.

Just me who now believes Soccer Aid is shite? It gets worse and worse every year with the standard of celebs. I know enough now the likes of Olly Murs and Usain Bolt are absolutely shite and couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

I’d rather much see a professional game of England Legend XI’s vs RoW Legends XI’s. Think it would be a lot more appealing! 

I absolutely hate it.

It came about originally because Sky had a show called “the match” which had celebrities (who were whittled down on ability by Andy Ansah) were trained to play against a team of ex-pros. ITV saw it and pinched the idea, removing the quality control of ability to pander to Robbie Williams’ gargantuan ego as he wanted to play but was shite.

The fact is, these “celebrities” are fulfilling a dream by playing at the Etihad with football legends - and they  expect us to donate to charity because they’ve done something they really really want to do - and are also doing it to raise their profile. 

If you asked me to donate for Olly Murs spending 12 hours shovelling horse manure on a farm I’d do it. But to donate for him fulfilling a dream for the 4th time when his careers in the shitter? Balls to that.

As you can see, I’m broadly on the fence here.

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Blimey chaps, just give them some cash or if you don’t like where the money’s going then donate to your own particular favourite charity.

But either way don’t watch it would be the simple advice? ?

We’re miserable sods. Let us be miserable 

Lights out. Phones torches are out now. Is this a U2 concert?

The first two or three were actually quite good. Really good mix of ex-pro's and half decent celebs having a pretty competitive game. But in recent years its just become too pantomime and more about egos rather than football for charity. Stephen Mulhern's appearance tonight just summed it up.

11 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Were there any women participating 

Yes, a few. We had Harriett Pavlou playing for England who's apparently a freestyler (never heard of her before), the commentators were raving about how good she was but in truth she couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. I did feel sorry for her though because at one point she got absolutely flattened which highlighted why men and women shouldn't be on the same pitch together. Of the women that played she probably had the best game though. The rest were largely anonymous due to being too slow, being outmuscled etc.

47 minutes ago, Pearcy said:

Yes, a few. We had Harriett Pavlou playing for England who's apparently a freestyler (never heard of her before), the commentators were raving about how good she was but in truth she couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. I did feel sorry for her though because at one point she got absolutely flattened which highlighted why men and women shouldn't be on the same pitch together. Of the women that played she probably had the best game though. The rest were largely anonymous due to being too slow, being outmuscled etc.

It makes you wonder with the emergence of female pundits and extra plugging women's premiership how long before someone suggest we need a mixed male/female team!

36 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It makes you wonder with the emergence of female pundits and extra plugging women's premiership how long before someone suggest we need a mixed male/female team!

Going on last nights game we're a long way off that. It's true that women can play football to a decent level but physically they can't compete.

57 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I looked at the BBC website around 17:00 yesterday to get the footy results. First on the list was the World Cup Qualifiers, then the Womens' Super League followed by Leagues 1 and 2. First time I've seen them present results in that way. Beeb definitely making big efforts to promote womens football in ways that no commercial organisation would touch.

5 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I looked at the BBC website around 17:00 yesterday to get the footy results. First on the list was the World Cup Qualifiers, then the Womens' Super League followed by Leagues 1 and 2. First time I've seen them present results in that way. Beeb definitely making big efforts to promote womens football in ways that no commercial organisation would touch.

Yes I did notice that myself 

7 hours ago, Calculus said:

Yep. Brilliant in my view 

Archived