IGNORED

Double Jabbed Players

Silvio Dante

Noted from today that Michael Flynn, Newport boss, wasn’t happy as a number of his players had to self isolate due to being close contacts of a Covid case, and couldn’t use the exemption as they hadn’t been double jabbed through personal choice, meaning they missed 10 days of football (in practical terms more as the fitness would drop). I recall Warnock making a similar point recently.

So, the question is, if you were a manager/chairman making a new signing now, would you insist on double jabbing - as otherwise the player may not be available through an “avoidable” reason. I’d probably almost certainly do so…and therefore never sign Wells…

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Noted from today that Michael Flynn, Newport boss, wasn’t happy as a number of his players had to self isolate due to being close contacts of a Covid case, and couldn’t use the exemption as they hadn’t been double jabbed through personal choice, meaning they missed 10 days of football (in practical terms more as the fitness would drop). I recall Warnock making a similar point recently.

So, the question is, if you were a manager/chairman making a new signing now, would you insist on double jabbing - as otherwise the player may not be available through an “avoidable” reason. I’d probably almost certainly do so…and therefore never sign Wells…

Haven’t heard it,did he say double jabbed or not jabbed because be a bit odd to have one and then decide against having another one and as for Wells and his beliefs that’s upto him but a weirdo grumpy angry short man is never going to work in any walk of life 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Haven’t heard it,did he say double jabbed or not jabbed because be a bit odd to have one and then decide against having another one and as for Wells and his beliefs that’s upto him but a weirdo grumpy angry short man is never going to work in any walk of life 

I think he said they weren’t double jabbed through choice - which I’d infer as not jabbed at all - as you rightly say, why have jab one but not jab two.

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think he said they weren’t double jabbed through choice - which I’d infer as not jabbed at all - as you rightly say, why have jab one but not jab two.

You would be mad to sign someone who could potentially miss a whole season because they have a theory that the jabs have microchips in them and make you dance like a chicken at 4.39 every morning 

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You would be mad to sign someone who could potentially miss a whole season because they have a theory that the jabs have microchips in them and make you dance like a chicken at 4.39 every morning 

Is that what causes it !!

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Certainly wouldn’t sign a player who hadn’t been double jabbed. First of all they can miss games. Secondly you’d have to question their judgment as a person 

While I'm double jabbed I wouldn't question their judgment, people should be able to say what they want to put in there bodies without being ostracised especially when they are not in a at risk category.

Governments have a long history of illegally trialing things or recklessly testing things on the population.

It's still the choice of an individual to engage in the common good and we should probably have more respect for that IMHO. 

23 minutes ago, Pezo said:

While I'm double jabbed I wouldn't question their judgment, people should be able to say what they want to put in there bodies without being ostracised especially when they are not in a at risk category.

Governments have a long history of illegally trialing things or recklessly testing things on the population.

It's still the choice of an individual to engage in the common good and we should probably have more respect for that IMHO. 

Couldn't agree more and I am also double jabbed. Not everyone that doesn't have the jab is choosing to do so because they think it is micro chipped or some other conspiracy theory. 

This was a vaccine that was rushed through without the normal years of testing so I can completely understand why some don't want to put that in there body

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Certainly wouldn’t sign a player who hadn’t been double jabbed. First of all they can miss games. Secondly you’d have to question their judgment as a person 

And yet if they have already had covid their immunity would be far superior than a double jabbed footballer.  Wouldn’t you rather base your signing on an antibody test ? 

2 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

So will Wells - or other Bristol Sport staff, not be allowed into the stadium complex?

I’m hearing staff will be encouraged to work alone or at home, not sure how a player will be able to do that though!

In regards to the players mentioned in the initial post, I think it’s a case of them having their first jab and waiting the 8 (?) weeks until they can have their second which isn’t due yet. I know lots of the youngsters at work are in this category, some even had to isolate as they had been pinged due to them being double jabbed but not immune as it wasn’t two weeks since their second one. 

22 minutes ago, grifty said:

Am I right in thinking being double jabbed doesn't stop you contracting or passing on COVID, but only stops you suffering from the symptoms as much?

So the threat of catching it is no different if you are not jabbed or double jabbed?

I used to think that but someone on here pointed out its not the case, apparently there is a lower chance of catching it/transmission as well.

It seems a number of professional sports people and athletes are against vaccination because they don’t want to put anything in their bodies that might affect their performance. Plus they are young and fit, so think that they won’t get sick. That’s the argument from a number of the anti-vaccine tennis players (Djokovic and the like). Of course, if someone gets long COVID, then that’s going to be far worse than most of the side effects. And as we have seen the Delta variant is much more virulent and is hospitalising younger, fitter unvaccinated people so that undermines their position as well.

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

People can put what they want into their body. I’ve not said they can’t. I would just question the judgment of those that don’t. 

On 05/09/2021 at 08:19, Littlesh*t said:

Couldn't agree more and I am also double jabbed. Not everyone that doesn't have the jab is choosing to do so because they think it is micro chipped or some other conspiracy theory. 

This was a vaccine that was rushed through without the normal years of testing so I can completely understand why some don't want to put that in there body

It’s gone through the same levels of testing as other vaccines

Ultimately players should have a choice but there’s implications at all levels, as seen with the South American players who’s clubs didn’t release them and now they’re banned this weekend from playing

Sooner this goes away the better. I’d think the risk of long Covid on careers is much greater than the risk of the vaccine but as I say, it’s their right to choose and we as a club shouldn’t be forcing anyone to do anything. We can only try and educate and address concerns 

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Ultimately players should have a choice but there’s implications at all levels, as seen with the South American players who’s clubs didn’t release them and now they’re banned this weekend from playing

Sooner this goes away the better. I’d think the risk of long Covid on careers is much greater than the risk of the vaccine but as I say, it’s their right to choose and we as a club shouldn’t be forcing anyone to do anything. We can only try and educate and address concerns 

I'm sure there's a report released by a university in America saying young names are 6 times more likely to suffer a heart attack after being jabbed. Not something a club would want to risk I'd have thought especially if their chances of dying from covid are almost non existence as it is. 

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

I'm sure there's a report released by a university in America saying young names are 6 times more likely to suffer a heart attack after being jabbed. Not something a club would want to risk I'd have thought especially if their chances of dying from covid are almost non existence as it is. 

I'm "sure" there is ?

19 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

More likely than either of those events would be an unvaccinated player missing games after contracting Covid. That is the primary concern of clubs. 

I don't think it is helpful to approach this from a human rights perspective.  I think this is about balancing personal choice against a responsibility to help protect the wider community, in this case your teammates, who may have vulnerable people in their lives who may not be able to have the vaccine or whose immune system may not sufficiently protect them even more d they have.

I am not sure you could make players have it, but I'd find out their concerns and educate them by a visit from a health profession to debunk them.   Maybe a visit from a City fan who'd lost a loved one, or one who is living with long covid.  I'd also get players to get together and talk about their concerns for others in their lives who, for whatever reason, are particularly at greater risk from catching covid.  Hopefully, these stories would convince players of their wider responsibility to their teammates and community and that there are very few reasons to not have the vaccine.  

3 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

More likely than either of those events would be an unvaccinated player missing games after contracting Covid. That is the primary concern of clubs. 

True but how many games would they miss if the caught covid? Plus a lot of people get ill after the jab so would likely miss a game or 2 anyway. Compared to contracting a heart problem which will probably end their career. 

Are there any figures saying what percentage of players are jabbed? It's not something I've heard about I don't think 

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

Compared to contracting a heart problem which will probably end their career.

It's all about relative risk. Generally people are not good at calculating risk. 6 times greater chance of heart failure sounds very high (if true), but relatively the risk is still tiny. Clubs will be most concerned with what can realistically have a negative impact on their finances. 

I assume the research referred to here is that from the University of California, which  has not been peer reviewed and which refers to adolescents rather than adults. From The Guardian:

Their analysis of medical data suggests that boys aged 12 to 15, with no underlying medical conditions, are four to six times more likely to be diagnosed with vaccine-related myocarditis than ending up in hospital with Covid over a four-month period.

They estimate the rate of myocarditis after two shots of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to be 162.2 cases per million for healthy boys aged 12 to 15 and 94 cases per million for healthy boys aged 16 to 17.

This kind of thing is why the JCVI does not recommend vaccination for this cohort on purely medical risk/benefit grounds.

Though with the risk being so low and the condition not being life threatening Chief Medical Officers may recommend vaccination on wider grounds (transmission, disruption to education etc.).

3 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Telegraph is paywalled, was it this report? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/health/covid-myocarditis-vaccine.html

"He added, “If the reason that someone so far has been hesitating to get the vaccine is fear of this very rare and usually not very serious adverse event called myocarditis, well, this study shows that that very same adverse event is actually associated with a higher risk if you’re not vaccinated and you get infected.”"

Also found: https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-news/newsroom/heart-inflammation-covid-19-and-the-rare-side-effects-of-the-vaccine/2021/09

People are concerned about heart inflammation linked to the vaccine. What can you tell them?

Rare heart inflammation cases (around one in 6000) were reported in teenagers after their COVID-19 vaccination. These cases have been mild and self-resolving. However, the chance of developing severe illness and death after a COVID-19 infection is much higher (2-10%). There is a higher risk of myocarditis from COVID itself than there is from the vaccine.

Archived