IGNORED

Double Jabbed Players

Silvio Dante

Revisiting this having started it..

My point wasn’t about the rights and wrongs of vaccines/passports (there’s enough threads on that), but more about the impact on player availability if not jabbed through personal choice.

Under current rules, if you’re a close contact of someone positive for Covid, you don’t have to isolate if double jabbed. You do, for 10 days, if not jabbed. 

What I’m saying is would you sign a player who may be unavailable for large periods due to personal choice over vaccination status? It’s not just the 10 days, it’s the loss of time with the team, sharpness etc.

I would envisage most clubs making it a condition of signing/new contract in view of the above. Or you’re left in the position of signing a player who is unavailable and avoidably so (I don’t see the FA/EFL allowing Covid postponement if it’s down to unavailability from not being vaccinated)

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Revisiting this having started it..

My point wasn’t about the rights and wrongs of vaccines/passports (there’s enough threads on that), but more about the impact on player availability if not jabbed through personal choice.

Under current rules, if you’re a close contact of someone positive for Covid, you don’t have to isolate if double jabbed. You do, for 10 days, if not jabbed. 

What I’m saying is would you sign a player who may be unavailable for large periods due to personal choice over vaccination status? It’s not just the 10 days, it’s the loss of time with the team, sharpness etc.

I would envisage most clubs making it a condition of signing/new contract in view of the above. Or you’re left in the position of signing a player who is unavailable and avoidably so (I don’t see the FA/EFL allowing Covid postponement if it’s down to unavailability from not being vaccinated)

I know at least two people being sacked for refusing to have the vaccine as without the vaccine they cannot do their jobs properly.  First of all you have the 10 day issue and then you have businesses not wanting unvaccinated people on their premises. 

Football clubs aren’t going to sack players as they are too valuable but I expect some will not sign new players who haven’t been vaccinated 

On 04/09/2021 at 23:48, joe jordans teeth said:

You would be mad to sign someone who could potentially miss a whole season because they have a theory that the jabs have microchips in them and make you dance like a chicken at 4.39 every morning 

I'm having that problem but my dance kicks in at 4.41 ? So do I have a issue with my jab two minutes late ...

41 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

How has it? Most vaccines go through years of testing 

That's because in general most vaccines spend years stuck trying to get funding and approval for trials which wasn't an issue with the covid jabs.

The implication by "rushed" is that corners were cut, or things were done unsafely. That's simply not the case.  They were done more quickly than other vaccines, that's true, but that's different from "rushed" which has intentional negative connotations. Massive amounts of funding and research teams were quickly made available, and trials started almost immediately rather than forms being sat on someone's desk for months.

In addition the manufacture was prioritised as it was so important, rather than having to wait as is often the case.

They've gone through the same trial procedure as our other jabs. Billions (literally) of them have been given out now.

A new flu vaccines in made each year - are they "rushed"?

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Look it up, it went through the same 3 stages of clinical trials. Clearly this was accelerated because of the pandemic and emergency status meant that it could be produced while still in trial period

It may have gone through stages or trials but normally trials are carried out on wider audiences with more time between to see the proper implications of the findings. I have people very close to me in the medical profession. 

Like I said I have had it and I feel comfortable with that but I also appreciate why some don't. 

Had my second jab yesterday, side effects have been pretty brutal so far! Definately agree that its your own body, so entirely up to the individual, but with things like travel & pre-season tournaments abroad, it will only become more difficult for un-vaccinated players.

Think the majority will end up being double jabbed within the next year or so once the hysteria & conspiracies die down.

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I know at least two people being sacked for refusing to have the vaccine as without the vaccine they cannot do their jobs properly.  First of all you have the 10 day issue and then you have businesses not wanting unvaccinated people on their premises. 

Football clubs aren’t going to sack players as they are too valuable but I expect some will not sign new players who haven’t been vaccinated 

And they are not double jabbed allready. I think they would be.

I hate to say it, because it’s a wider problem than football, but there is a particular race issue here, in that sections of the black community, both in the UK and US, have so little trust in “authority” that they are concerned about being used as guinea pigs when it comes to vaccination. There are historical grounds for this with some terrible unethical experiments on black people both in terms of treatment and non-treatment, but in the case of the COVID vaccines, the CDC and the US authorities undertook proper secondary studies in black people, specifically to demonstrate its safety in that population. However I am afraid that when it comes to social media, fearmongering usually wins out over facts and science.

As for the myocarditis issue, I am afraid that this whole pre-publication before actual peer review is as bad as social media. How reliable is that data? I have no idea and neither does anyone other than the authors of the paper. And I wouldn’t trust a journalist to review the data and understand it. However having been closely involved in the data collection in this country, I can tell you that the number of previously fit and well children admitted to hospital with either COVID-19 directly or the inflammatory syndrome that follows is actually quite a bit higher than most people think. Also when some experts suggest that 50% of all children have had the SARS-CoV-2 virus already, I know that is speculation rather than evidence-based. There are no antibody studies in children and younger teenagers that show anything close to that number, so the concern is that high numbers will still get infected during the next few weeks back at school in England, where compared to previous waves, restrictions to the spread of the virus are either few or non-existent.

So back to players and not getting vaccinated. Yes it is a personal issue, but so is mask wearing, and both should be done on the basis of not just protecting yourself, but also protecting those around you - family, friends and the wider community. Let’s put it this way if SARS-CoV-2 mutated to be like the flu strain that caused the 1918 pandemic, which mostly killed young adults rather than older people, then I don’t think we would be having this conversation. And to extent with the Delta variant that shift has already started to happen in terms of the risk to people in their 30s. The story of Karl Darlow at Newcastle should be taken as a warning by vaccine-hesitant players: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58486106

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I hate to say it, because it’s a wider problem than football, but there is a particular race issue here, in that sections of the black community, both in the UK and US, have so little trust in “authority” that they are concerned about being used as guinea pigs when it comes to vaccination. There are historical grounds for this with some terrible unethical experiments on black people both in terms of treatment and non-treatment, but in the case of the COVID vaccines, the CDC and the US authorities undertook proper secondary studies in black people, specifically to demonstrate its safety in that population. However I am afraid that when it comes to social media, fearmongering usually wins out over facts and science.

As for the myocarditis issue, I am afraid that this whole pre-publication before actual peer review is as bad as social media. How reliable is that data? I have no idea and neither does anyone other than the authors of the paper. And I wouldn’t trust a journalist to review the data and understand it. However having been closely involved in the data collection in this country, I can tell you that the number of previously fit and well children admitted to hospital with either COVID-19 directly or the inflammatory syndrome that follows is actually quite a bit higher than most people think. Also when some experts suggest that 50% of all children have had the SARS-CoV-2 virus already, I know that is speculation rather than evidence-based. There are no antibody studies in children and younger teenagers that show anything close to that number, so the concern is that high numbers will still get infected during the next few weeks back at school in England, where compared to previous waves, restrictions to the spread of the virus are either few or non-existent.

So back to players and not getting vaccinated. Yes it is a personal issue, but so is mask wearing, and both should be done on the basis of not just protecting yourself, but also protecting those around you - family, friends and the wider community. Let’s put it this way if SARS-CoV-2 mutated to be like the flu strain that caused the 1918 pandemic, which mostly killed young adults rather than older people, then I don’t think we would be having this conversation. And to extent with the Delta variant that shift has already started to happen in terms of the risk to people in their 30s. The story of Karl Darlow at Newcastle should be taken as a warning by vaccine-hesitant players: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58486106

Doc Balls, I thought it was a given that all players in the English Foot Ball League were doubled jabbed like all the other countries in the world that have a representation in all matches and tournaments in Europe, Olympic, and world soccer / football matches. I know this is definatly the case in Australia / Singapore and great Asian countries. 

I do not think there are issues with any footballers across the world or any others for example like the recent olymipcs where all sporting codes ensured that all were double jabbed.

Your comment "players and not getting vaccinated " WHERE  is this information coming from.

I agree in your concerns around race issues as currently the spread in OZ is four times worse in areas where there are migrants and live in lower demographic areas and environments. Be careful mate using the word blacks 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Doc Balls, I thought it was a given that all players in the English Foot Ball League were doubled jabbed like all the other countries in the world that have a representation in all matches and tournaments in Europe, Olympic, and world soccer / football matches. I know this is definatly the case in Australia / Singapore and great Asian countries. 

I do not think there are issues with any footballers across the world or any others for example like the recent olymipcs where all sporting codes ensured that all were double jabbed.

Your comment "players and not getting vaccinated " WHERE  is this information coming from.

I agree in your concerns around race issues as currently the spread in OZ is four times worse in areas where there are migrants and live in lower demographic areas and environments. Be careful mate using the word blacks 

I am being very specific about vaccine scepticism in certain groups and this is not just an immigrant issue. Please don’t mistake Australia’s particular social problems (and majority attitudes - having lived in Oz I know what I am talking about) with those that exist in the UK and US. And given the large number of black players and similar heritage in English football, it’s not surprising that some of the issues that are acknowledged in the wider population are now being reflected among footballers.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I am being very specific about vaccine scepticism in certain groups and this is not just an immigrant issue. Please don’t mistake Australia’s particular social problems (and majority attitudes - having lived in Oz I know what I am talking about) with those that exist in the UK and US. And given the large number of black players and similar heritage in English football, it’s not surprising that some of the issues that are acknowledged in the wider population are now being reflected among footballers.

Well I respect what you are saying but your points of view are above my pay grade. You still keep stating black players for some reason. To me they are players apart of a team no what colour they are.

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Not at all, it’s not mandatory in the premier league. Not sure about EFL but seriously doubt it.

Quick google search and there’s loads of articles about the hesitancy or players about the jab or refusing. Xhaka one of the more recent ones and then caught covid

Archived