IGNORED

Early term report .... in conversation with DaveFevs

headhunter

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/early-term-report-in-conversation-with-dave-fevs/

In this "bonus" episode of the Forever Bristol City Podcast DaveFevs and I discuss the early season games, what we have playing wise now the window is shut and what would OK look like from the next 6 games before another international break.

For me it's a C+. How would you rate it? 

C+, blimey!

What were you expecting after shedding 16 players & being limited to only one significant cash signing? Top four?

If you look at our form since the end of January up until May (3 wins, 3 draws, 16 defeats!) then I’d say it is a promising enough start.

Not only that, but in the games we’ve lost (certainly v Swansea) there was evidence of a plan & none of us simply giving up, unlike last season.

We have 1 more point than the messiah Warnock & he has spent far more money, too.

B.

My overall summary on the pod was one of real contentment.  I really think we are moving in the right direction and probably quicker than I thought too.  That’s not to say I think we are playoff challengers all of a sudden.

Nige has created versatility and flexibility within a small(ish) squad.  Players like Pring has come in and exceeded expectations, Atkinson settled very quickly, Scott looks like a bona fide first teamer whilst Andi Weimann and Chris Martin are defying the “I don’t see where the goals are coming from”.  That’s without mentioning others.  Nige has got the players playing at their level of ability, no mean feat imho

Probably the only areas of dissent are the full-backs.  I’m not concerned myself, I don’t think Vyner and Simpson have been bad at all (Vyner was poor v Boro). Dasilva has been targeted, but that is something that can be worked on with Atkinson’s positioning.

Next step is to win a home game and lay that to rest.

Good listen.
Rating is a funny thing, knee-jerk reaction was anything 'C' is too low. But going up too 'B' may be looking high. 
I'm reasonably happy with what I've seen this year, I actually enjoyed the Blackpool game (except the last minute or so), and I can't remember the last time I said that. Good signs through the team, some real promise ( I wont go through the players). Plus more confidence in medical & fitness staff too. 
We have a real chance at 2 home wins now and that will make the start look much better. 

It would be good if you guys could do this again next International break. Hopefully moving to a 'B+' or higher .

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My overall summary on the pod was one of real contentment.  I really think we are moving in the right direction and probably quicker than I thought too.  That’s not to say I think we are playoff challengers all of a sudden.

Nige has created versatility and flexibility within a small(ish) squad.  Players like Pring has come in and exceeded expectations, Atkinson settled very quickly, Scott looks like a bona fide first teamer whilst Andi Weimann and Chris Martin are defying the “I don’t see where the goals are coming from”.  That’s without mentioning others.  Nige has got the players playing at their level of ability, no mean feat imho

Probably the only areas of dissent are the full-backs.  I’m not concerned myself, I don’t think Vyner and Simpson have been bad at all (Vyner was poor v Boro). Dasilva has been targeted, but that is something that can be worked on with Atkinson’s positioning.

And all that achieved whilst having a world of problems to deal with behind the scenes and elements of toxicity to eradicate. I’d say it’s been solid progress in a short space of time. 

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

This seasons job is to build towards next season. That’s the parameters and we are building so a C grading is too low 

That’s what I’ve been saying to friends etc. This season is about arresting the slide and laying foundations for future seasons. 
It’s why I was hoping we wouldn’t be wasting a salary on the likes of Lyle Taylor on deadline day. 

At the end of last season I think that many/most were very concerned that Nigel Pearson had been unable to halt, let alone reverse, the dipterous decline we’d seen on the pitch during the season.

To see us competitive in just about every game, playing decent football, looking more of an attacking threat and, crucially, with the players now showing some steel and fight, is a huge turnaround and an impressive ref;section on the work NP has done with the players through the summer.

At the end of last season I suspect that many had us down as relegation candidates this time around. While that could still be the case, early signs are that we are more likely to be mid table or top half contenders. While we might not yet be the promotion challengers that we all want, to me that represents a huge turnaround from where we were only a few months ago.

The emergence of young players like Pring and Scott, the experience provided by James and King, Atkinson forging a good partnership with Kalas all auger well for the future. That, together with the off field  changes made behind the scenes make me think that in recent months we have taken one step back in order to take to ( or more ) steps forward.

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Stay off Twitter, people 

B8736782-692C-4946-A263-C8449D67C74B.png

I believe that person on Twitter was formerly RalphMilnesLeftFoot on OTIB..

(Joking by the way)

I do question what some fans actually watch sometimes. We are much improved to what we were at the back end of last season.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I notice you mention DaSilva being targeted.

It's something I'd be doing as an opposition manager.

I really don't see him as a 'defender'...imo, his best attributes are when he's offensive. Fantastic close control and distribution. Has an eye for a pass, can cross and read the game very well.

Defensively on the left...rarely stops a cross and gets bullied in the 18 yard box. His physicality is against him when defending... he's not even particularly fast to make up for it.

For me he suits a 352 in the 5 or as a left sided midfielder.

Certainly a talented footballer, but imo, wasted at LB.

If teams target it him...there is a reason for that. If you are fast or physically bigger you'll beat him.

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Who is it on here? 

If you recall he was consistently posting that the season would need to be abandoned & wouldn’t ever finish due to the number of Covid cases.

Relentlessly negative about Pearson on Twitter as this shows, one of the “why haven’t we signed a striker yet”? types.

Rum chap all round.

Archived