IGNORED

1958 Battle of Bristol

Mr X

Interesting video, can't seem to find many older videos of City online. Unlike the title there doesn't seem to be much aggro in the crowd in those days! Anyone know what's with the small car next to the pitch?  

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Interesting video, can't seem to find many older videos of City online. Unlike the title there doesn't seem to be much aggro in the crowd in those days! Anyone know what's with the small car next to the pitch?  

Small cars next to the pitch seemed to be a feature of football years ago, I was watching The Big Match Revisited last week, it was Coventry v Arsenal from 1975, and there was a load of Bubble Cars lined up on the side of the pitch with OAP’s sat in the drivers seat watching the game!

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Always seems as though every fan celebrated every goal, with the EE celebrating Rovers winner.

There was no segregation back then and no such thing as an away end.  Fans would have stood together all around the ground.

Apart from this freak result 1958 was a great year to be born, as I duly was 3 months after this game.

Several meetings between the clubs in fairly quick succession - having smashed Rovers 3-2 at AG the previous October City met Rovers again in the April, 2 months after the Cup game, in a 3-3 draw in div.2 at Eastville.

By the time of the November meeting I was out and about - at last - and nearly 6 months old. 

My presence, though not physically at the game afaik, must surely have been a decisive factor as City won 2-1 at Eastville in the first div. 2 meeting of the next season.

The football on offer looks fairly basic and uncomplicated - just outscore the other team - and with 21 goals in 4 Bristol derbies in just over a year, it looks like entertaining stuff for the fans!

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

Yup the good old invacar. Incredibly dangerous and were outlawed 20 odd years ago. Believe it or not people were still driving them up to that point. 

Thanks, I feel like I should have known about them but didn't. Just looked it up and they were outlawed in 2003!

2003 doesn't seem like that long ago or if much has changed since then.

12 hours ago, pride of the west said:

Yup the good old invacar. Incredibly dangerous and were outlawed 20 odd years ago. Believe it or not people were still driving them up to that point. 

There is a site  on YouTube  called Hubnuts, the guy, Ian,  restored an invacar and uses it regularly despite being ‘able bodied ‘. He never talks about the vehicle being dangerous.
It’s a great blog if you like old bangers ( not now Rudolph). 

16 hours ago, Mr X said:

Disabled drivers.

I was there in the Boys Enclosure which was the terrace in front of the Cowshed and the Covered End of said Cowshed.

That position in the ground was perfect for me to see that Geoff Bradford was about a yard offside when he scored the winner about ten minutes before the end. Cracking good cup tie, fans from both sides in together all over the ground. No fighting, just good natured banter.

When the Atyeo Stand was opened 1991? I met Geoff Bradford in the Supporters Club before the game. He was the only non City player because he was a good friendbof Big John.

I said hello and then "You were (offside)" and he replied with a broad smile " Look up the records. It was a 4-3 win for us." 

That cup match had around 39,000 there and a year or two later we had 42,000 for a cup game against Blackpool and Stan Matthews. That's another story.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I said hello and then "You were (offside)" and he replied with a broad smile " Look up the records. It was a 4-3 win for us."

Which brings up another interesting difference to football then and now. Not one City player appealed for offside, they didn't even look at the linesman, they simply turned around to head back to the centre circle. How times have changed.

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Disabled drivers.

I was there in the Boys Enclosure which was the terrace in front of the Cowshed and the Covered End of said Cowshed.

That position in the ground was perfect for me to see that Geoff Bradford was about a yard offside when he scored the winner about ten minutes before the end. Cracking good cup tie, fans from both sides in together all over the ground. No fighting, just good natured banter.

When the Atyeo Stand was opened 1991? I met Geoff Bradford in the Supporters Club before the game. He was the only non City player because he was a good friendbof Big John.

That cup match had around 39,000 there and a year or two later we had 42,000 for a cup game against Blackpool and Stan Matthews. That's another story.

Thanks for sharing. It's so good to have an eyewitness account to go alongside the video. Helps to bring it all to life. I can only imagine the sights and smells and sounds of a football game in those days, I imagine that the match being a cup game made it a real event in the City.

22 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The younger ones on here will be wondering if thats  the last time The Sags beat us ?

seems like it .

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, and I refuse to watch it (although it's appeared numerous times on here), who wants to watch the filth beat our lads with a blatantly offside goal...........bring on VAR !

yep scumbags.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is worth a watch for historic value...includes both our most detested.

Thanks Spudski. I've never seen this before. In summer, at Badminton on a Sunday, Gloucestershire played a similar cricket match against Duke of Beaufort XI which had past and present star cricketers. Wally Hammond and Leary Constantine come to mind. These type of games were to raise money for charity.

As for the football, I recognised quite a few on both sides as Dad took me to City and Cardiff, he came from Rhondda, and I went to Eastville if I didn't have school games. I got coaching from Harry Bamford and Josser Watling as well as Alec Eisentrager at City. They flogged a dead horse with me; no pace, no guts and poor eyesight prior to NHS specs.

Great memories.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks Spudski. I've never seen this before. In summer, at Badminton on a Sunday, Gloucestershire played a similar cricket match against Duke of Beaufort XI which had past and present star cricketers. Wally Hammond and Leary Constantine come to mind. These type of games were to raise money for charity.

As for the football, I recognised quite a few on both sides as Dad took me to City and Cardiff, he came from Rhondda, and I went to Eastville if I didn't have school games. I got coaching from Harry Bamford and Josser Watling as well as Alec Eisentrager at City. They flogged a dead horse with me; no pace, no guts and poor eyesight prior to NHS specs.

Great memories.

You're welcome mate. Glad it brought some good memories back. ?

On 05/09/2021 at 18:35, RedZepperin said:

Whatever happened to rosettes and rattles?

Had a red and white wooden rattle in about 1960 when I was 10. When we moved to Sheffield with Dad's job in 1964, I repainted it Blue and White ( in those days we didnt worry about changing colour) as we went to Hillsborough and supported Sheffield Wednesday. Might have been easier to have supported United ! Took it with me in 1966 to Wembley v Everton. Happy and troublefree days.

Archived