IGNORED

Walking football

Jerseybean

Having not kicked a ball in anger in about 20 years today I played walking football for the first time. Guessing there are others on this forum who play so thought a thread for all things walking football was worth starting. 

My first impressions…. good fun, its a challenge not to run and passing into space is generally a wasted ball as nobody can walk fast enough to receive it! 

If you haven’t had a go and have been thinking about it do give it a go. The team I used to play for are entering a team in the local league so looking forward to getting a bit fitter and a bit better at it!

walking-football---laws-of-the-game---co

A chap I play golf with, who used to play football to a pretty good standard 40 years ago, plays Walking Football. 

The biggest issue he faced was when he first started it was quite good fun - as soon as they entered a League things became more serious. Tackles started flying in and he ended up being injured for three months and unable to play football or golf. 

Enjoy it - but look out for injuries!!

My bro who's over 50 and has 3 ACL ops behind him has played for a few years now and loves it.

If your not 100% fit or able it's a great option. As above though, it does get competitive once it's taken more seriously. Lot of passion still there.

Guy he plays with represents England so there is a genuine chance of a call up if your any good.

I organise walking football at Almondsbury and have played it for five years. We play a hybrid form of it including over head height etc. 

It is a lot quicker than most beginners tend to think it will be and most injuries are ligament/muscle strains and pulls and Achilles problems. Most who play simply love it and become regulars.  

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Do you play on astro turf? If you do get used to the little black rubber bits getting everywhere. One player's wife thought they had a mice infestation in the house.

Yes we do and the black rubber bits absolutely get everywhere and if you  take a fall the burn is pretty unpleasant. 

Played a game at a local sports centre, advertised as ‘walking’ football. I thought that sounded like ‘fun’.

A major problem was it appears no one had told the other players it was ‘walking’ football. Just appeared a standard 5/6 a side match for 60 minutes. Being a bloke you just get on with it and the competitive streak overcame all negative thoughts, like dropping dead - which I’m sure I did on several occasions.

21 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes great link ?

But when I do search to find local club it does not give a Bristol option.

For those in North Bristol there are walking football sessions at Horfield on Tuesdays, Almondsbury (GFA HQ) on Wednesdays and Fridays and Little Stoke on Thursdays. 

There are also sessions at Keynsham, Clevedon and others in South Bristol. 

19 minutes ago, Collier's Waistcoat said:

Shame that doesn't cater for those of us still working (it's from 10-11AM Tue and Thu)

I'm dying to play football again but I'm in a bit of a halfway house, mid-fifties probably too fit for walking football but too old for regular football. Up until Covid, I played 5-a-side lunchtime at work, mostly with guys 30-40, some even younger but I was still capable of getting goals, despite usually being the oldest on the pitch, often by 10 years! That was in Essex but now I'm WFH in Glos, so that has gone - we were struggling for numbers pre-Covid anyway. I think I'd find the not-running thing just too frustrating at the moment to be honest. I could do with finding a 50+ regular 5-a-side game ideally but no idea where to look.

3 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Shame that doesn't cater for those of us still working (it's from 10-11AM Tue and Thu)

I'm dying to play football again but I'm in a bit of a halfway house, mid-fifties probably too fit for walking football but too old for regular football. Up until Covid, I played 5-a-side lunchtime at work, mostly with guys 30-40, some even younger but I was still capable of getting goals, despite usually being the oldest on the pitch, often by 10 years! That was in Essex but now I'm WFH in Glos, so that has gone - we were struggling for numbers pre-Covid anyway. I think I'd find the not-running thing just too frustrating at the moment to be honest. I could do with finding a 50+ regular 5-a-side game ideally but no idea where to look.

Little Stoke is on a Thursday evening 7pm-8pm there are several players in their early 40s. It is walking football but very fast walking that borders on running (similar with Almondsbury). I started at the age of 53 thinking walking football would be a doddle, it isn't. 

8 hours ago, handsofclay said:

For those in North Bristol there are walking football sessions at Horfield on Tuesdays, Almondsbury (GFA HQ) on Wednesdays and Fridays and Little Stoke on Thursdays. 

There are also sessions at Keynsham, Clevedon and others in South Bristol. 

Thanks great info and gonna see what the Horfield set up is like for me as I lucky enough to live just the round corner from the mem ??

8 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Check out the Bristol Corinthians League - they administer an over 45s league. Teams always looking for players. Games played in good spirit. 

On 05/09/2021 at 17:47, Denbury Red said:

A chap I play golf with, who used to play football to a pretty good standard 40 years ago, plays Walking Football. 

The biggest issue he faced was when he first started it was quite good fun - as soon as they entered a League things became more serious. Tackles started flying in and he ended up being injured for three months and unable to play football or golf. 

Enjoy it - but look out for injuries!!

Yep, injuries are certainly featuring, I’m nursing a twisted / swollen knee after today’s game, another of our team cracked a rib and another pulled his groin! 

For info, Joe had a session of Powerchair Football yesterday.  He’s been to 2 or 3 previously but not since Covid.

CAF22FFD-2C82-4AA6-98C9-EAA85DA9F0A0.thumb.jpeg.00ae77f239d71f1f7035ab0d67145f51.jpeg

Joe is in black, the other two kids in the snazzy low profile chairs are “proper” players, who play in national comps.  Joe is a relative noob.

Joe plays it a bit like Gerry Gow, he’s here, he’s there….

For any gamers out there it’s like Rocket League without the jumping!!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For info, Joe had a session of Powerchair Football yesterday.  He’s been to 2 or 3 previously but not since Covid.

CAF22FFD-2C82-4AA6-98C9-EAA85DA9F0A0.thumb.jpeg.00ae77f239d71f1f7035ab0d67145f51.jpeg

Joe is in black, the other two kids in the snazzy low profile chairs are “proper” players, who play in national comps.  Joe is a relative noob.

Joe plays it a bit like Gerry Gow, he’s here, he’s there….

For any gamers out there it’s like Rocket League without the jumping!!

FYI - Western Sydney Wanderers Powerchair team is very well supported. The Red and Black Bloc AKA the RBB (the more vocal club supporters) attend in large numbers and cheer/sing all game: 

Archived