IGNORED

Emma Raducanu

Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Also the disrespect towards Mike Tyson - if you had seen him between 85 and 88 he was a true monster, most fighters beaten before they stepped into the ring. Douglas wasn't a big name at all and knocked Tyson out. Remarkable for me

Exactly, nauseating for sure.

it wasn't disrespect, Tyson before and after Cus was a very different human being.  And most certainly a very different boxer, very sad to see.  I maintain When he fought Douglas he was a junkie drunk and admitted so himself later in life,, so no disrespect what so ever

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

it wasn't disrespect, Tyson before and after Cus was a very different human being.  And most certainly a very different boxer, very sad to see.  I maintain When he fought Douglas he was a junkie drunk and admitted so himself later in life,, so no disrespect what so ever

I just personally think Douglas (unheard of) knocking out Tyson, the most feared sportsman on the planet at that point is a truly great underdog story. His Mother also died 3 weeks before the fight. 

It's personal choice I suppose

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I just personally think Douglas (unheard of) knocking out Tyson, the most feared sportsman on the planet at that point is a truly great underdog story. His Mother also died 3 weeks before the fight. 

It's personal choice I suppose

I don't disagree, cracking achievement.  that said I am not sure a fully functioning Tyson would have been wallowing around on the floor trying to put his gum shield in, he would have hammered him to the canvass in the first 1 or 2 rounds.

I just don't think the achievement is the same, as all us boxing fans know, a big heavyweight on any given day can knock another heavyweight out, it the nature of the beast and its why there are so many shocks in the boxing world.  nail someone with a big punch with their jaw slightly unlocked, time for tubby bye byes :)

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Yeah Leicester winning was a shock, but they were still in the best 20 teams in the country at the start of that season. Raducanu wasn't even in the top 150. And still isn't (until the next rankings are published!).

Exactly this. She was 338 before Wimbledon began and also sat her A-levels this year - and got two As!

Not only that, she absolutely smashed the tournament without losing a set. It’s just astonishing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Of course, Boris (not that Boris) won Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in 1985. He'd only turned pro the year before.

His achievement was amazing, but I think Raducanu's is more impressive.

Becker was unseeded in Wimbledon, but he had reached the third round of Wimbledon and the quarter final of the Australian Open the year before.

Raducanu went to the fourth round of Wimbledon and then immediately won the US Open.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

His achievement was amazing, but I think Raducanu's is more impressive.

Becker was unseeded in Wimbledon, but he had reached the third round of Wimbledon and the quarter final of the Australian Open the year before.

Raducanu went to the fourth round of Wimbledon and then immediately won the US Open.

Raducanu’s achievement definitely has the edge. She hasn’t even played a WTA tour match yet!

• Like 1

We are discussing the best sporting upset / achievement. But this has the added bonus of as near faultless display given that she did not drop a set throughout the qualifying rounds to the final. 

ref Becker, I can remember my Nan saying, watch this kid he’s going to be a fantastic player.

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Of course, Boris (not that Boris) won Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in 1985. He'd only turned pro the year before.

Yep its very close to being the same sort of result the achievement along with a few handful won it at a very young age was outstanding. I guess the difference being he didn't have to qualify to make the grand slams, he was already doing well enough and highly enoughed ranked to make the first round proper.  But what a player he was at that young age. Fantastic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

Harsh on Denmark. They beat the favourites France, they beat the reigning champions Netherlands then beat the World Champions Germany. Greece beat Spain in the qualification, then the hosts twice, beat the European Champions and for me the team of that tournament Czech Republic, all this having not qualified for a major tournament since 1994 where they got battered,

I'm sorry it is a better underdog story as is Leicester 15/16, for me, but this is brilliant for Emma Raducanu.

Also other posters mentioning immigration and pointless political point scoring over a fabulous win is sad to see

It was also sad to see 4 posts in someone say it was a shame she was Canadian 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

A load of those on social media (unfortunately not unexpected, they used to do the same when Mo Farah was winning medals, its very pitiful behaviour)

It’s just a really weird comment to make.
Given that user’s comments on taking the knee, there’s a pattern to their way of thinking…

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 12:12, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair point - I meant the top tier events. That was a WTA 125 (second tier) event.

She lost to dart in the first round of Nottingham, which is a main tour event. 

But, when you look at her results in the US swing in the build up to the US Open, the run she had is even more ridiculous. Played a few lesser tournaments, and didn't exactly pull up any trees. 

Going to be very interesting to see if she plays Miami (where she could be a seed) and also how the rest of her year goes and whether she's able to get a couple of decent runs at wta level

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

She lost to dart in the first round of Nottingham, which is a main tour event. 

But, when you look at her results in the US swing in the build up to the US Open, the run she had is even more ridiculous. Played a few lesser tournaments, and didn't exactly pull up any trees. 

Going to be very interesting to see if she plays Miami (where she could be a seed) and also how the rest of her year goes and whether she's able to get a couple of decent runs at wta level

She did get to the final of the Chicago 125 challenger just before US open qualifying rounds beating Van Uytvanck (World no 61), Burel and Claire Liu (both top 100) before losing the final to Tauson. I’d say considering that she’d only been playing on hard courts on tour for only a few weeks, that’s some very decent progress considering she went into those matches ranked at around 175. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

She did get to the final of the Chicago 125 challenger just before US open qualifying rounds beating Van Uytvanck (World no 61), Burel and Claire Liu (both top 100) before losing the final to Tauson. I’d say considering that she’d only been playing on hard courts on tour for only a few weeks, that’s some very decent progress considering she went into those matches ranked at around 175. 

Yep, that was a solid run. But having watched AVU in Nottingham a few weeks earlier, she’s nothing more than a solid player, especially for a no.1 seed (as she was in Chicago). Emma was delivering a few solid results post Wimbledon, but nothing suggested she’d find qualifying easy (especially considering she was only 31st seed) never mind do what she did in the main draw.

Her progress in the slams has been astonishing, she now needs to back that up on the WTA circuit. A good run in Miami (provided she takes a wildcard) will only help cement her momentum, and who knows, could even result in a shot at the tour finals, which is still very much a possibility