IGNORED

Emma Raducanu

Kid in the Riot

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

I do wonder how motivated she might be in the standard run of the mill LTA tournaments.  Parents already millionaires, has a love of motorsport allegedly more than Tennis. 

Not intentionally downplaying her but I guess will see in next year or so! 

I'm not sure motivation will be a huge issue, having tasted this level of success she's bound to want more. I think what might be is the lure of modelling and other sponsorship deals. Will she go down the kournikova route or will she be able to knuckle down with her tennis and avoid the distractions? 

What will be interesting is when she's grinding it out on the wta circuit, outside of the limelight and perhaps losing a few games, how she copes mentally. Her game, without having any exceptional shots, is very solid but we've seen before with Ostapenko, kenin, pennetta and even andreescu how hard it can be to back up an unexpected run in a slam on the wta circuit

Edited by JBFC II

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Yep, that was a solid run. But having watched AVU in Nottingham a few weeks earlier, she’s nothing more than a solid player, especially for a no.1 seed (as she was in Chicago). Emma was delivering a few solid results post Wimbledon, but nothing suggested she’d find qualifying easy (especially considering she was only 31st seed) never mind do what she did in the main draw.

Her progress in the slams has been astonishing, she now needs to back that up on the WTA circuit. A good run in Miami (provided she takes a wildcard) will only help cement her momentum, and who knows, could even result in a shot at the tour finals, which is still very much a possibility 

You not think she’ll get offered a wildcard for Indian Wells? Perhaps it’s too tight a turnaround with the timing though. I imagine she’ll want to get back to the UK to see family and friends before focusing on the next steps for the tour. If she did play IW and got to the last 4 or final that could be enough to get a place at the WTA finals, but that’s probably a huge long shot.

Otherwise I guess she’ll want to play in a few tournaments over November/December to build up some momentum for the Australian open. 

17 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

You not think she’ll get offered a wildcard for Indian Wells? Perhaps it’s too tight a turnaround with the timing though. I imagine she’ll want to get back to the UK to see family and friends before focusing on the next steps for the tour. If she did play IW and got to the last 4 or final that could be enough to get a place at the WTA finals, but that’s probably a huge long shot.

Otherwise I guess she’ll want to play in a few tournaments over November/December to build up some momentum for the Australian open. 

I think she definitely would, I just doubt she’ll take it. 

Getting back to the UK is the best thing for her to do at the moment, at only 18 she needs to stay relatively grounded and having family and friends around her is the best way to do that. The WTA finals seem a step too far atm, she has a good shot at the Elite tournament though, which would be another excellent profile booster.

For now though, I reckon she should head back to the UK and then spend the next couple of months playing 250s and 500s in Europe (stuff like Linz, Kremlin Cup, Cluj) build up some match fitness and then have a good off season come November to be refreshed for Aus.

• Like 1

EMMA RADUCANU AND THE ILLUSION OF NATIONS

By Guido Gianasso 

“A new tennis champion has emerged. It is fascinating to observe the dynamics taking place around this young lady. 

Emma's father is Romanian. Her name is Romanian and she speaks Romanian fluently. Hence she is considered Romanian by millions of Romanians. But Emma has actually never lived in Romania.

Emma's mother is Chinese. She speaks fluent Chinese, as a recent video available on YouTube shows. Hence she is considered a Chinese hero by millions of Chinese, who seem to forget that the PRC discourages international marriages. 

Emma was born in Canada but has lived most of her life and trained in the UK. Hence she is considered British by most Britons and was publicly congratulated by the Queen. But the British public that now celebrates her success is the same that voted Brexit with the very objective to make it difficult for East Europeans such as Emma and her father to live in the UK. 

The reality is that Emma is not Romanian, Chinese or British. She is much more. She is the outstanding result of the combination of Romanian talent, Chinese work ethics and British openness and sport infrastructure. 

At a time when many countries are going back to very ethnocentric models and policies, Emma is the best evidence that National identities are fading and we must embrace a geocentric mindset. Emma Raducanu is the future of mankind.” ?‍♀️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

EMMA RADUCANU AND THE ILLUSION OF NATIONS

By Guido Gianasso 

“A new tennis champion has emerged. It is fascinating to observe the dynamics taking place around this young lady. 

Emma's father is Romanian. Her name is Romanian and she speaks Romanian fluently. Hence she is considered Romanian by millions of Romanians. But Emma has actually never lived in Romania.

Emma's mother is Chinese. She speaks fluent Chinese, as a recent video available on YouTube shows. Hence she is considered a Chinese hero by millions of Chinese, who seem to forget that the PRC discourages international marriages. 

Emma was born in Canada but has lived most of her life and trained in the UK. Hence she is considered British by most Britons and was publicly congratulated by the Queen. But the British public that now celebrates her success is the same that voted Brexit with the very objective to make it difficult for East Europeans such as Emma and her father to live in the UK. 

The reality is that Emma is not Romanian, Chinese or British. She is much more. She is the outstanding result of the combination of Romanian talent, Chinese work ethics and British openness and sport infrastructure. 

At a time when many countries are going back to very ethnocentric models and policies, Emma is the best evidence that National identities are fading and we must embrace a geocentric mindset. Emma Raducanu is the future of mankind.” ?‍♀️

Agree with every word, but we still need some kind of National Identity for sporting purposes, and we are claiming her for Britain :P

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58664182

A 'homecoming' for our 4 US Open champions tomorrow afternoon on the BBC iPlayer, red button and website if anyone's interested. 

Also looks like Raducanu is playing in Moscow in a few weeks where she could be seeded, and is planning on heading to Indian Wells, which would be a great experience for her

On 23/09/2021 at 13:32, JBFC II said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58664182

A 'homecoming' for our 4 US Open champions tomorrow afternoon on the BBC iPlayer, red button and website if anyone's interested. 

Also looks like Raducanu is playing in Moscow in a few weeks where she could be seeded, and is planning on heading to Indian Wells, which would be a great experience for her

Er..................I'm sure you mean Indigenous peoples  of America Wells ?    ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Er..................I'm sure you mean Indigenous peoples  of America Wells ?    ?

Ah of course, my bad. 

Apologies to any indigenous Americans and Exeter chiefs fans reading the forum! 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I see she has just got rid of her coach Andrew Richardson 

Their agreement was only for the us open swing, mainly because he wants to spend time focusing on his sons tennis development. 

Her next coach is a big call though, could really see her progress further if she makes the right choice 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Ah of course, my bad. 

Their agreement was only for the us open swing, mainly because he wants to spend time focusing on his sons tennis development. 

Her next coach is a big call though, could really see her progress further if she makes the right choice 

Tim Henman?

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Ah of course, my bad. 

Not Holden then ?

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Tim Henman?

He's got young kids so probs won't want to travel and has never coached at a wta level before, so can't see it. The favourite atm is Darren cahill apparently, who's recently left Simona halep. That would be an excellent appointment imo

25 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not Holden then ?

Perhaps she could get mark Ashton in as a hypeman as well

• Haha 1

On 24/09/2021 at 22:35, JBFC II said:

He's got young kids so probs won't want to travel and has never coached at a wta level before, so can't see it. The favourite atm is Darren cahill apparently, who's recently left Simona halep. That would be an excellent appointment imo

Perhaps she could get mark Ashton in as a hypeman as well

Too busy running around Portman Road High fiving anybody that wants to touch his greatness.

Emma plays her first match in Indian Wells tomorrow night (not before 2am UK time if anyone fancies staying up!)

She’s up against Sasnovich, a talented but totally inconsistent Belarusian who’s had a poor 2021 by her standards but comes into the match off of a good win against Osorio Serrano.

Emma is heavy favourite for this one and a win could set up a mouthwatering 3rd round tie against Halep.

Fortunately for her every match she plays until the next grasscourt season will see her gain ranking points, so no matter what happens she’ll continue to rise up the rankings

Edited by JBFC II

It’s a much tougher game when your the one with a target on your back. 

Looking at the stats, her unforced error count was massive and her 1st/2nd serve points won numbers were really low, you can’t win against anyone playing with those numbers.

Just hope people have a sense of realism and don’t start jumping on her back because of one loss

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It’s a much tougher game when your the one with a target on your back. 

Looking at the stats, her unforced error count was massive and her 1st/2nd serve points won numbers were really low, you can’t win against anyone playing with those numbers.

Just hope people have a sense of realism and don’t start jumping on her back because of one loss

I'm sure Jailbird Joey Barton will be pinning that up in the S*gs dressing room as we speak.....everyone loves a cup final against the S*gs!

• Haha 1

On 07/09/2021 at 08:25, OneTeamInBristol said:

Shame she's Canadian.

On 07/09/2021 at 21:07, Kid in the Riot said:

She's British you absolute whopper.

Now Foxtrot Oscar and go and play with your other insular, inbred friends on Twitter. 

This shit does not surprise me. I've had people constantly tell me i'm not british ALL my life. Was born here, although my father was indian, my mother and here family are all bristolian...

At the end of the day, she learnt her tennis here. So we should be proud of her. Her ethnicity shouldnt come into. Pretty sad, thats the first thing some people think about, instead of her incredible talent.

• Like 4

What has happened to British tennis these last couple of months?!? 

Incredible achievement for norrie last night, from 74th in the world at the start of the year to 16th and a Masters 1000 champion 10 months later. 

For someone with no big weapons, he's done incredibly well to get to where he's at, and is only a couple more good runs away from a spot in the tour finals in turin, which would be astonishing. 

Great to see raducanu and norrie showing that British tennis is in safe hands post Murray

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

What has happened to British tennis these last couple of months?!? 

Incredible achievement for norrie last night, from 74th in the world at the start of the year to 16th and a Masters 1000 champion 10 months later. 

For someone with no big weapons, he's done incredibly well to get to where he's at, and is only a couple more good runs away from a spot in the tour finals in turin, which would be astonishing. 

Great to see raducanu and norrie showing that British tennis is in safe hands post Murray

Certainly a great chance for Norrie and the rest of the brits over the next few years. Federer and Nadal will surely call it a day soon and Novak not far after, really is no stand out players who look like they will dominate like those 3 have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Certainly a great chance for Norrie and the rest of the brits over the next few years. Federer and Nadal will surely call it a day soon and Novak not far after, really is no stand out players who look like they will dominate like those 3 have.

Just highlights how lucky we've been with those 3 over the past 15 years. To be able to dominate in the way they have for so long is incredible and I'm not sure we'll see it again for a long time. I can see the men's game going a similar way to where the women's (Serena aside) has gone over the last decade. The same names being around the top 20 but nobody being able to dominate and the odd weird GS winner. 

From a brit perspective, the main contenders in the long run I would say are Draper and Pinnington-Jones, both of whom have had good junior careers. Really liked the look of Anton Matusevich as well earlier this summer, so he's one to look out for. 

• Like 1

First win since the US Open for Emma today v Hercog. Only saw the first couple of sets but she looked mixed, at times excellent and at other times she was over hitting too much and going for shots that weren’t on.

She has what looks to be a comfortable draw before what could be a huge match v Halep in the semis