IGNORED

Emma Raducanu

Kid in the Riot

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

Harsh on Denmark. They beat the favourites France, they beat the reigning champions Netherlands then beat the World Champions Germany. Greece beat Spain in the qualification, then the hosts twice, beat the European Champions and for me the team of that tournament Czech Republic, all this having not qualified for a major tournament since 1994 where they got battered,

I'm sorry it is a better underdog story as is Leicester 15/16, for me, but this is brilliant for Emma Raducanu.

Also other posters mentioning immigration and pointless political point scoring over a fabulous win is sad to see

It was also sad to see 4 posts in someone say it was a shame she was Canadian 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

A load of those on social media (unfortunately not unexpected, they used to do the same when Mo Farah was winning medals, its very pitiful behaviour)

It’s just a really weird comment to make.
Given that user’s comments on taking the knee, there’s a pattern to their way of thinking…

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 12:12, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair point - I meant the top tier events. That was a WTA 125 (second tier) event.

She lost to dart in the first round of Nottingham, which is a main tour event. 

But, when you look at her results in the US swing in the build up to the US Open, the run she had is even more ridiculous. Played a few lesser tournaments, and didn't exactly pull up any trees. 

Going to be very interesting to see if she plays Miami (where she could be a seed) and also how the rest of her year goes and whether she's able to get a couple of decent runs at wta level

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

She lost to dart in the first round of Nottingham, which is a main tour event. 

But, when you look at her results in the US swing in the build up to the US Open, the run she had is even more ridiculous. Played a few lesser tournaments, and didn't exactly pull up any trees. 

Going to be very interesting to see if she plays Miami (where she could be a seed) and also how the rest of her year goes and whether she's able to get a couple of decent runs at wta level

She did get to the final of the Chicago 125 challenger just before US open qualifying rounds beating Van Uytvanck (World no 61), Burel and Claire Liu (both top 100) before losing the final to Tauson. I’d say considering that she’d only been playing on hard courts on tour for only a few weeks, that’s some very decent progress considering she went into those matches ranked at around 175. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

She did get to the final of the Chicago 125 challenger just before US open qualifying rounds beating Van Uytvanck (World no 61), Burel and Claire Liu (both top 100) before losing the final to Tauson. I’d say considering that she’d only been playing on hard courts on tour for only a few weeks, that’s some very decent progress considering she went into those matches ranked at around 175. 

Yep, that was a solid run. But having watched AVU in Nottingham a few weeks earlier, she’s nothing more than a solid player, especially for a no.1 seed (as she was in Chicago). Emma was delivering a few solid results post Wimbledon, but nothing suggested she’d find qualifying easy (especially considering she was only 31st seed) never mind do what she did in the main draw.

Her progress in the slams has been astonishing, she now needs to back that up on the WTA circuit. A good run in Miami (provided she takes a wildcard) will only help cement her momentum, and who knows, could even result in a shot at the tour finals, which is still very much a possibility 

• Admin
10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Yep, that was a solid run. But having watched AVU in Nottingham a few weeks earlier, she’s nothing more than a solid player, especially for a no.1 seed (as she was in Chicago). Emma was delivering a few solid results post Wimbledon, but nothing suggested she’d find qualifying easy (especially considering she was only 31st seed) never mind do what she did in the main draw.

Her progress in the slams has been astonishing, she now needs to back that up on the WTA circuit. A good run in Miami (provided she takes a wildcard) will only help cement her momentum, and who knows, could even result in a shot at the tour finals, which is still very much a possibility 

I do wonder how motivated she might be in the standard run of the mill LTA tournaments.  Parents already millionaires, has a love of motorsport allegedly more than Tennis. 

Not intentionally downplaying her but I guess will see in next year or so! 

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

I do wonder how motivated she might be in the standard run of the mill LTA tournaments.  Parents already millionaires, has a love of motorsport allegedly more than Tennis. 

Not intentionally downplaying her but I guess will see in next year or so! 

I'm not sure motivation will be a huge issue, having tasted this level of success she's bound to want more. I think what might be is the lure of modelling and other sponsorship deals. Will she go down the kournikova route or will she be able to knuckle down with her tennis and avoid the distractions? 

What will be interesting is when she's grinding it out on the wta circuit, outside of the limelight and perhaps losing a few games, how she copes mentally. Her game, without having any exceptional shots, is very solid but we've seen before with Ostapenko, kenin, pennetta and even andreescu how hard it can be to back up an unexpected run in a slam on the wta circuit

Edited by JBFC II

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

You not think she’ll get offered a wildcard for Indian Wells? Perhaps it’s too tight a turnaround with the timing though. I imagine she’ll want to get back to the UK to see family and friends before focusing on the next steps for the tour. If she did play IW and got to the last 4 or final that could be enough to get a place at the WTA finals, but that’s probably a huge long shot.

Otherwise I guess she’ll want to play in a few tournaments over November/December to build up some momentum for the Australian open. 

17 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

You not think she’ll get offered a wildcard for Indian Wells? Perhaps it’s too tight a turnaround with the timing though. I imagine she’ll want to get back to the UK to see family and friends before focusing on the next steps for the tour. If she did play IW and got to the last 4 or final that could be enough to get a place at the WTA finals, but that’s probably a huge long shot.

Otherwise I guess she’ll want to play in a few tournaments over November/December to build up some momentum for the Australian open. 

I think she definitely would, I just doubt she’ll take it. 

Getting back to the UK is the best thing for her to do at the moment, at only 18 she needs to stay relatively grounded and having family and friends around her is the best way to do that. The WTA finals seem a step too far atm, she has a good shot at the Elite tournament though, which would be another excellent profile booster.

For now though, I reckon she should head back to the UK and then spend the next couple of months playing 250s and 500s in Europe (stuff like Linz, Kremlin Cup, Cluj) build up some match fitness and then have a good off season come November to be refreshed for Aus.

• Like 1