IGNORED

Team for PNE

bcfc01

A few thing to ponder for NP this week.

Baker very solid at left back with Pring in front - will he "keep the shirt" or will he bring Dasilva back in ?

Wells scoring 4 albeit against an u23 team, but still four goals - does he deserve a start although Weimann and Martin are doing well ?

Alex Scott left out against Cardiff - will he start against PNE ?

Does he give Tanner a start having said he doesn't collect players for the sake of it ?

Williams and O'Dowda back in training (maybe too soon for them).

Best of luck NP.

I'd go;

Bentley

Tanner  Kalas  Atkinson  Baker

James  King

Massengo  Weimann  Pring

Martin

Early odds have city favourite at 11/10 with Skybet (PNE 5/2)

Bentley

Vyner      Kalas        Atkinson  Dasilva

Massengo   James   King      Pring 

Weimann

Wells

Dont think we will see Tanner first game back but who knows , also think he might start wells for this one just to compete with martin

Only other thing to factor in is Kalas has already played twice during the international break (Belarus & Belgium) & the Czechs have a friendly tomorrow v Ukraine tomorrow, which even if he’s rested for, won’t see him back in training much before Friday, so Dasilva might well return, but for Kalas with Baker at CB.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Only other thing to factor in is Kalas has already played twice during the international break (Belarus & Belgium) & the Czechs have a friendly tomorrow v Ukraine tomorrow, which even if he’s rested for, won’t see him back in training much before Friday, so Dasilva might well return, but for Kalas with Baker at CB.

Good point - and given the time scales it may well turn out that way.

Edit : Unless he came back yesterday after their game against Albania ?

Kalas will have likely played 3 games in 10 (ish) days so think he may get a rest. I'd go (4/4/2):

Bentley: Vyner, Atkinson, Baker, Dasilva: Semenyo, James, King, Scott: Weimann, Martin.

Good bench options in Max, Kalas, HNM, Pring, Wells, Janneh, Tanner. 

Just realised I can't find room for Palmer!

At the end of the day, with Williams and O’Dowda back training properly (suggesting they are first team ready), Nige has a full squad to pick from for the first time.

There are gonna be some not even getting changed, but Nige will need to use his man-management skills to ensure they realise that we have 3 games in a week, the QPR (a) game follows a Wednesday fixture, so limited recovery, and QPR play Tuesday….and that they might be needed at any point, and to be ready to stake their claim.

But having said that, it really is one game at a time, so looking at Preston’s last two league games:

572F95B3-2853-451C-9E3F-A9F5D853E599.thumb.jpeg.102402ed5efc9516f41c22965c6c2238.jpeg

16876FD3-586E-4573-B7AF-89CDAF01C9B2.thumb.jpeg.1e65684deb245f05a721c985f64b2698.jpeg

Johnson might not be back from Jamaican games, but they are setting up pretty similar in terms on personnel.

They don’t possess a Kieffer Moore type, and despite playing direct, it’s more “turn the opposition around / hit channels” than “big diags and picking up loose balls” so I don’t see the need to go Baker at LB….but that’s not to say he should automatically bring Dasilva back either.

The beauty Nige has is players playing well, fighting for selection. I don’t see the side being much different to Cardiff if I’m honest.

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Kalas will have likely played 3 games in 10 (ish) days so think he may get a rest. I'd go (4/4/2):

Bentley: Vyner, Atkinson, Baker, Dasilva: Semenyo, James, King, Scott: Weimann, Martin.

Bakinson didn’t get kitted up last game either….tough choices.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

A few thing to ponder for NP this week.

Baker very solid at left back with Pring in front - will he "keep the shirt" or will he bring Dasilva back in ?

Wells scoring 4 albeit against an u23 team, but still four goals - does he deserve a start although Weimann and Martin are doing well ?

Alex Scott left out against Cardiff - will he start against PNE ?

Does he give Tanner a start having said he doesn't collect players for the sake of it ?

Williams and O'Dowda back in training (maybe too soon for them).

Best of luck NP.

I'd go;

Bentley

Tanner  Kalas  Atkinson  Baker

James  King

Massengo  Weimann  Pring

Martin

Early odds have city favourite at 11/10 with Skybet (PNE 5/2)

Not bad line up with Scott to bring on later to add energy.

45 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If we play Baker left back against PNE that would be very weird 

Bentley

Vyner.  Baker. Atkinson. Dasilva

James. King

Scott.        Weimann.       Pring

Martin 

Maybe Massengo in ahead of King. 

No kalas ?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

If it’s only  friendly then you’d think Kalas wouldn’t start, so that would be 6 days since last game, so starts for me.  Too important to the team to not for me but if he plays tomorrow then would suspect he won’t.   Bet the West Ham boys all start at the weekend & so should Kalas.  I know your not saying he won’t but he has to if available.

22 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

If it’s only  friendly then you’d think Kalas wouldn’t start, so that would be 6 days since last game, so starts for me.  Too important to the team to not for me but if he plays tomorrow then would suspect he won’t.   Bet the West Ham boys all start at the weekend & so should Kalas.  I know your not saying he won’t but he has to if available.

Kalas would always be in my side but even if he doesn’t play in this game I guess he’s not flying back before Thursday & we will probably have done patterns of play etc by then.

6 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Massengo ?

Tricky one for NP. Break up the Martin/ Weimann partnership that is starting to show real promise or not start 4 goal Wells and miss an opportunity to maybe kick start his season. Great to have some good options and difficult choices on the table though

Funny one Wells. Watched the goals this morning and he looked pissed off even after each of his goals. Cant help but think his body language does him no favours

My thoughts;

Kalas may have played 3 games and quite late back. Has to be a doubt, but he's been good since his recall and I doubt he'd want to give up his shirt.
Tanner will probably be given a while to integrate into the squad and, IMO , is a longer term RB. I see Vyner keeping his place. Specially after a decent assist.
LB might be interesting . Pring & DaSilva have not done much wrong, and worked well together . A lot depends on COD I would think, but I would expect them both to be back in.
COD coming in could even mean Pring to FB. But more likely JD in and Pring to come on if/when needed for COD.
The 3 MF's pretty much pick themselves. Not sure if HNM was with the French side, but I don't see them being split up until one needs a rest.
Hard to see Martin and Weimann losing their place. It's been successful and Wells 4 goals were against Very poor opposition. Though I do think he deserves and needs a start soon.

Everything depends on returning players & fitness, Kalas being the main one I'd guess. If he's deemed fit, could be the same side, any doubt or if NP thinks the travel or late return impacts then it changes.

The good thing is we have options, and ones that don't weaken the side.

So my guess.

Bentley
Vyner - Baker - Atkinson - DaSilva
     HNM - King - James - Pring
             Weimann - Martin

2 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

Tricky one for NP. Break up the Martin/ Weimann partnership that is starting to show real promise or not start 4 goal Wells and miss an opportunity to maybe kick start his season. Great to have some good options and difficult choices on the table though

Funny one Wells. Watched the goals this morning and he looked pissed off even after each of his goals. Cant help but think his body language does him no favours

I spoke to his next door neighbour who administered my second jab in July, he was in Bermuda at the time but she said he was very happy at City 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@1960maaan HNM was in training videos suggesting he’s not been away.

Thanks, wasn't sure. One less variable for Saturday.

32 minutes ago, 22A said:

Major fly in the ointment; last few seasons, City's performances slumped after each International Break.

and regularly at home Vs PNE

36 minutes ago, Super said:

Baker was at LB at Cardiff to help deal with the threat in the air with Flint and Morrison. Makes no sense to play him there against Preston play a natural LB who can get forward.

I agree, it was less about Baker playing LB in open-play, but having height and physicality for set-plays.

I don’t see the same threat from Preston, in fact, as mentioned above they are likely to try and hit channels in behind the full-backs / down the sides of our CBs.  Baker not one for wanting to turn and run back towards our goal.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t play….I think he can be a threat in the opposition box too….but the necessity isn’t there (as you state).

I’ve rarely been as relaxed about the starting eleven as I am at the mo’.  Nige has shown he will pick the players to try to win the game.  In most positions we have similar ability players that means I’m happy whoever he selects. On odd occasions like Cardiff he has picked a particular player to do a specific job…but still within the framework of the team system he’s developing.

21 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If we play Baker left back against PNE that would be very weird 

Bentley

Vyner.  Baker. Atkinson. Dasilva

James. King

Scott.        Weimann.       Pring

Martin 

Maybe Massengo in ahead of King. 

I like the look of that. Massengo on for King after 60 mins to keep the energy up. AW rested as not been on international trip - reckon we will do them

Archived