IGNORED

Taking the little ones

mozo

In more seriousness, I tried my son (other than for the Carey testimonial at 10 months) at about four. Too much into cars then and wasn’t overly interested. From 6 (nearly 7) post World Cup 18, he’s been all over it. To the point of being up all night a week ago singing “Cardiff get battered”

My daughter I took from about 6-7 as well. Still into it at 13.

I think from that I’d recommend age 6!

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

In more seriousness, I tried my son (other than for the Carey testimonial at 10 months) at about four. Too much into cars then and wasn’t overly interested. From 6 (nearly 7) post World Cup 18, he’s been all over it. To the point of being up all night a week ago singing “Cardiff get battered”

My daughter I took from about 6-7 as well. Still into it at 13.

I think from that I’d recommend age 6!

Yeah, id probably agree with that, at 2 they would have no idea what’s happening and will be wanting to run around all the time!

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, I don't mean Lee Johnson and Jay DaSilva... 

Taking kids to football for the first time!

What age? What was it like? Any advice for a dad of a 2 year old?

What advice?  Don’t do it.  A two year old will have zero interest in football  so why take him / her?  All that will happen is you are unable to watch the match and you’ll just cause problems for those sitting near you. They have gone to watch the match, not listen to your problems, no matter how nice your child is. 

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

I took my nephew for the first time when he was about 6, he was bored sh*tless (it was that cup game v Sheff Wed we lost 3-0 so it was sh*t) but we got him to count the crowd which kept him entertained!  He’s now nearly 18 and has a season ticket!

15 minutes ago, Mayes86 said:

Funny you should mention this I’m taking my 5 yr old daughter to her first game this weekend. I’m taking a spare phone fully charged for the inevitable “dad I’m bored” after 5 minutes ?

Good luck mate :P

A guy used to sit in front of me in the Atyeo with three very small children. He brought supplies, booster seats and activities, usually games and comics. They were really well behaved, got a bit scared at the shouting from the fans but sat through most of the game, watched it sporadically. I don’t know if they still come.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Is this really a question,he might be able to say when he’s 55 I’ve been watching the city for 53 years but enjoy your son while he’s young for Christ sake 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Randomly, this has reminded me that I and my mate when aged about 10 got put in retention for singing in the school corridor "He's here, he's there, he's every f'cking where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow!". 

I first took my twin grandsons at 8 years old. They adore it,Ind I think at times they more interested in the crowd and the noise. They are now 11 and first game back after Covid break is Fulham . It's s big day out with grandad which they love. And I love taking them and great fun if hard bloody work. ☺️

21 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Randomly, this has reminded me that I and my mate when aged about 10 got put in retention for singing in the school corridor "He's here, he's there, he's every f'cking where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow!". 

Mate, you wouldn’t believe it. We got back from Cardiff about half four and he was in that excited and tired at the same time phase so went to sleep at seven. 

He then woke up at eleven and sang through the night. At 6am I went in his room and asked him what he was doing (the missus had tried to calm him down during the night and I slept through!). He professed to not being able to get to sleep. I explained that dancing on his rug and singing “Cardiff get battered” was somehow less conducive than counting sheep…

I nearly put him in more than detention !

My 10 year old is now on his 2nd season as a ST holder.

basically they’ll either like it or they won’t. I first took mine when he was 7. He got a bit bored and still does when it’s boring games haha. At first advise I’d give us fully charged phone and bring your own food crisps and sweets as it can get expensive. And try not to force it if they get a bit bored and ask for your phone, let them. I’ve just started taking him to away games and he’s totally hooked 

My son did his first match at 8 weeks and slept through almost the whole game, but I guess that one doesn't really count.

Did the occasional game from about 7-8 years old but he didn't really get into it until he was about 10 and has now had a ST for 5 years (he's 15 now).

Took my kids sporadically from when my lad was about 4. Have been going for last 8 years , last 5 or so as season ticket holders. First year or so was a combination of going for a hot dog, toilet break, phone gaming, and a small amount of football watching. 5 prob feels about right age but guess it’s different for everyone. 

First took my girl to a home game when she was 5,she loved it , I think that’s about the right age to start them off.She’s 9 now. First game for a long time this Saturday and we are looking forward to it. We don’t go that often and tend to make a day of it, trip down on the bus,boat across the harbour, meet up with friends in the pub etc.

Archived