IGNORED

Taking the little ones

mozo

2 minutes ago, Mayes86 said:

Hah, cheers mate. Guess it’ll be a few years before you take your little one? 

He's interested when it's on the telly, but think it's probably the different colours. After a while he just starts playing with his toes to be fair :laughcont:

He's just starting to pull himself up and does become fascinated when he sees a ball, so who knows.

Soph says he's not allowed to go because of the swearing. Silly woman, I probably swear at the dog more shouting at her to stop licking his face! :doh:

I took my son when he was 5, he got a bit bored now and again but loved joining in the singing.

My advice, take you're Mrs/girlfriend and when the child needs a toilet break she will be there on hand to deal with it....you don't want to miss any of the game.

My son is mascot on Saturday and we are both buzzing.

12 minutes ago, Taz said:

He's interested when it's on the telly, but think it's probably the different colours. After a while he just starts playing with his toes to be fair :laughcont:

He's just starting to pull himself up and does become fascinated when he sees a ball, so who knows.

Soph says he's not allowed to go because of the swearing. Silly woman, I probably swear at the dog more shouting at her to stop licking his face! :doh:

Swearing is part of the reason I’ve chosen the front of the old B block of the dolman rather than the south stand where I usually go ?

2 hours ago, Mayes86 said:

Funny you should mention this I’m taking my 5 yr old daughter to her first game this weekend. I’m taking a spare phone fully charged for the inevitable “dad I’m bored” after 5 minutes ?

Please please please make sure the phone is muted.

Last game I had a young kid sat behind me on his phone, fair enough, except I had to listen to the same awful ******* 6 second jingle on a loop for 90 minutes.

Nearly went mad.

Parents like me invariably get stressed about our kids being exposed to swearing and aggressive behaviour. But I started gong at 7 in the 70’s when the atmosphere in every respect  worse than now - I remember dodging bricks, literally, while trying to get into the schoolboys enclosure, quite apart from ‘My old man said be a Rovers fan ‘…-  and  I can’t say I was harmed in any way. Really about memories for me- I really loved going at 7, but I have only fleeting memories of it now, so there’s probably not too much point in taking the very young.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Regarding the swearing, I first went when I was 7 (30 years ago now!) and was told by my Dad that I'd probably hear some bad language, and that if I ever repeated it then I wouldn't be allowed to go again.

In my case it was my dad doing the swearing - “Mabbutt you effing fairy” to the laughs from the Liverpool fans we were stood with in the away / open end!

I've mentioned it before but one of the funniest things I've heard at the match was leaving the ground a few years ago after a particularly miserable midweek home defeat and a young lad, no older than about 8 or 9, saying to his Dad "do we have to come again on Saturday?" To which his Dad replied "Yes! Now man up, it's character building!"

40 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The game citys bench swore. was when, john emmanuel made his debut.

Steve johnstone knocked himself out on a goalpost.

To cap it off we lost 3 2 to walsall.

That would have drove a monk to swear!

Must have been Gary Emmanuel.

Just looked up the 3-2 home defeat, it was in August '85, and fortunately a rare game I missed as I got married that day!

Heard about all the stick Emmanuel was getting - it made the English papers in Yugoslavia - and by the time I got back from honeymoon he was out of the team, and had possibly even already left the club.

Took my son down when he was 4 - with his own City hav-a-sac full of goodies & drinks - and he loved it from the off and never looked back.

Mostly that was in the family enclosure, lower Dolman, but there were more adults there than children and a good atmosphere - plenty of linesman baiting etc., so he quickly realised AG was a place to be partisan.

He certainly wouldn't have enjoyed being miles away from the action somewhere like the Upper Lansdown!

From about 6 years old he was charging down to the front track when City scored with about 20 other young lads to congratulate the scorer so was very involved in the action from a young age.

Might add it doesn't work for everyone.

A friend couldn't wait to take his son to AG, and when he was about 3 proudly carried him on his shoulders to stand in the the open bit of the EE.

When City scored the noise and uproar upset him so much he burst into tears and eventually my friend had to take him home.

He was so put off he never went to another match!

13 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Parents like me invariably get stressed about our kids being exposed to swearing and aggressive behaviour. But I started gong at 7 in the 70’s when the atmosphere in every respect  worse than now - I remember dodging bricks, literally, while trying to get into the schoolboys enclosure, quite apart from ‘My old man said be a Rovers fan ‘…-  and  I can’t say I was harmed in any way. Really about memories for me- I really loved going at 7, but I have only fleeting memories of it now, so there’s probably not too much point in taking the very young.

I took my daughter to her first match (Burnley at home, September 1999) when she was 4. About 15 minutes in she whispered to me - 'Dad, Dad - that man - he said ****' - Obviously she'd heard the word before - probably from me...the shock was that it had been said in public!

She's now a highly respectable vet working in London so I'm not convinced it does any harm!

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Regarding the swearing, I first went when I was 7 (30 years ago now!) and was told by my Dad that I'd probably hear some bad language, and that if I ever repeated it then I wouldn't be allowed to go again.

My lad is 11 now. Been going since he was 7, and our message to him regarding swearing has always been the same - It's ok to listen and hear swearing, but not to repeat it.

Let's be honest, all of these kids are going to school, and the playground will be equally as bad a place if kids are copying what's being sung at stadiums, but the same applies to my son - it's alright to hear these things, just don't repeat.

I'm more than happy for him to be street wise and understand things, but I just don't want him to act streetwise if that makes sense.

The same applies to PlayStation games or movies that he watches - happy for them to have swearing in, but just not the grotesque violence, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Me and my son (15) are regulars and sit in the Dolman. When i take my daughter (10) we move to the Lansdown, just 'cos of language basically, and its crazy to see the picnics on display from parents with young kids. Sat behind one mum and dad - only dad watching the game and kids on their phones being fed sweets/crisps etc by their mum who wasnt watching the game either. Personally i would take a child younger than 7 as you wont be able to concentrate, and just end up shoveling snacks into them to shut them up. Then there is the toilet trips and preventing them from being squashed on the way out. Nah. Good luck anyway

If you want to 'baptise' them in the red n white at AG then take them young, no problem.

If you want them to sit with you to watch a game and interact with what's going on, then 6-8 is probably a good age. All kids are different of course. 

As a tip, id recommended an early or late season game. Took my son to his first a few years back, home to Ipswich in Jan/Feb, and bar Sheff Wed at home with the snow, donkey's years ago, it was the coldest I'd ever been at a game and we were sat up near the media area in the Lansdown with the wind on us the whole time. He was basically on an IV drip of hot chocolate for 2 hours!

I took my eldest when he was 4.  At the time he was very nervous of loud noises particularly bangs so I explained it carefully that if we scored it would get very noisy instantly but there was nothing to worry about, we were all city fans having a good time and to join in.

As I recall we did not score in the first half but in those days, there were often half time entertainments.  What did we get that day on the pitch at half time, only some army demonstration !

Gun noises, fake grenades, loud bangs everywhere.  I often recall the look on his face with his hands over his ears.

Still it didn’t put him off, he’s 24 now, hardly missed a match since, worships the gate like me.

The advice - Plan everything from sweets to drinks, snacks to toilets.  Oh and stay to the end, I didn’t offer him the chance to leave the Dolman early, now he moans at the early leavers, makes I chuckle.

Took our lad from about 4. Luckily we live very close to the ground so I'd take him initially to a few games for about 20 mins in the middle of the 2nd half to just get used to noise/crowds etc. 

Started to take him to games properly at about 5. Now he's 8 and massively into football and sits next to me in the Dolman no problem. 

9 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

I took my eldest when he was 4.  At the time he was very nervous of loud noises particularly bangs so I explained it carefully that if we scored it would get very noisy instantly but there was nothing to worry about, we were all city fans having a good time and to join in.

As I recall we did not score in the first half but in those days, there were often half time entertainments.  What did we get that day on the pitch at half time, only some army demonstration !

Gun noises, fake grenades, loud bangs everywhere.  I often recall the look on his face with his hands over his ears.

Still it didn’t put him off, he’s 24 now, hardly missed a match since, worships the gate like me.

The advice - Plan everything from sweets to drinks, snacks to toilets.  Oh and stay to the end, I didn’t offer him the chance to leave the Dolman early, now he moans at the early leavers, makes I chuckle.

That takes me back.

We're probably long overdue a visit from the police dog display team or someone parachuting in for some reason!

On 07/09/2021 at 22:21, Taz said:

Children learn all the swear words in the school playground!

I took my son to reserve games where he could move around if bored with the match.

PS. No drinks or food of any kind. Chocolate was still rationed! I just wanted to see at 5 years what I had read about in the newspapers. The noise made it so much more exciting.

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Took our lad from about 4. Luckily we live very close to the ground so I'd take him initially to a few games for about 20 mins in the middle of the 2nd half to just get used to noise/crowds etc. 

Started to take him to games properly at about 5. Now he's 8 and massively into football and sits next to me in the Dolman no problem. 

My eldest lad is 30 and now makes as much noise as the 8 year olds but doesn’t sit by me anymore….I’d say around 5 is a good time to take em…:yawn:

Archived