Jump to content
IGNORED

Bring on Weimann!


Pugofwar
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Do those people who didnt rate him before this season still think he's a waste of time?  CBA to trawl thru all those posts claiming he wasn't good enough for the  Championship but that's another swathe of critics gone from here.. Good news in my book

Who cares what people think on OTIB forum. It doesn't matter that much. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Do those people who didnt rate him before this season still think he's a waste of time?  CBA to trawl thru all those posts claiming he wasn't good enough for the  Championship but that's another swathe of critics gone from here.. Good news in my book

Don’t recall anyone saying he isn’t good enough for this league.  Not good enough to be in a team to get us out of this league was more like it. 

57 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

Shocking that Andi doesn't get in the Austria squad. He'll be fit for Saturday at least. 

IMG_20210907_204459.jpg

Who would you have him in ahead of ?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Don’t recall anyone saying he isn’t good enough for this league.  Not good enough to be in a team to get us out of this league was more like it. 

Who would you have him in ahead of ?

Think plenty on here have said he’s not good enough, just runs around a lot, couldn’t understand why he was an auto-pick every game.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Don’t recall anyone saying he isn’t good enough for this league.  Not good enough to be in a team to get us out of this league was more like it. 

Who would you have him in ahead of ?

In all fairness to @Hampshire Redthere were a lot of people saying all he does is run around like a headless chicken, doesn't score enough etc. I think the way last season went exagerrated people's opinions somewhat.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Who would you have him in ahead of ?

Laimer played on the right of a front 3 and looked like he was doing a poor impression of Weimann. Baumgartner was also disappointing on the left. Arnautovic is still getting a game upfront but spent most of the game offside. 

Overall it was a low quality game. Gilmour was the stand out player and looks like a real star. Alaba was stuck at left back not able to influence the game in any way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

Laimer played on the right of a front 3 and looked like he was doing a poor impression of Weimann. Baumgartner was also disappointing on the left. Arnautovic is still getting a game upfront but spent most of the game offside. 

Overall it was a low quality game. Gilmour was the stand out player and looks like a real star. Alaba was stuck at left back not able to influence the game in any way. 

Cannot really judge on one game though can you. Laimer is a much better player than Weimann for example 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think plenty on here have said he’s not good enough, just runs around a lot, couldn’t understand why he was an auto-pick every game.

Not good enough for what though? I would say he isn’t good enough to be in a promotion team. He is good enough for a team aiming for 8-12th though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Cannot really judge on one game though can you. Laimer is a much better player than Weimann for example 

Normally yeah. Seemed like he was played out of position. The team was very static. Dare I say they could do with someone who runs around a bit? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got all his caps early in his career (mainly Villa era) & hasn’t been picked by them for years now.

A fair few of their squad unsurprisingly play in the Bundesliga but of the strikers Arnautovic aside, I wouldn’t say there were many that were obviously better than him & against Scotland (who have plenty of Championship standard players) I’d back him to score.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

In all fairness to @Hampshire Redthere were a lot of people saying all he does is run around like a headless chicken, doesn't score enough etc. I think the way last season went exagerrated people's opinions somewhat.

I would say that they way last season went, was largely down to AW not being available. 

His energy, workrate and assists are something we can never replace when he's not in the team. 

His goal scoring is inconsistent, but then so has been his position played. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

I think he could be on for a personal best season for goals this year.

You never say never but at 30 and without a call up in 6-7 years, I'd imagine his expectations of a recall are pretty low.

 

Never give up hope. Kevin Davies was 33 when he got his England call up i think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Do those people who didnt rate him before this season still think he's a waste of time?

It's a funny one.
He does run around a lot, but without players also moving, or having the players that could play him in it is wasted.
I think it's more he was wasted, than being a waste of time. 
last year he did seem to do a lot of pointless running, but when he was injured we suffered badly.

With Afobe with him he looked good. 
When he first came here, he played up front and started with something like 5 in 5.
The problem is Johnson never got the best out of anyone playing with Fam.
Now we have a team supporting the front players, we have some game plan and organisation. He gets in good positions and this set up could suit him. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Weimann always starts seasons well doesn't he. My problem in the past has been how he has been used rather than him not being a championship standard player.

Nige has seen that AW is best utilised as a front player and has said that he likes players to stick to one particular position as with Vyner.

Other managers have used AW and Vyners versatility to play them in various positions which is understandable but is not a path Nige wants go down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige has seen that AW is best utilised as a front player and has said that he likes players to stick to one particular position as with Vyner.

Other managers have used AW and Vyners versatility to play them in various positions which is understandable but is not a path Nige wants go down.

Don't think that is necessarily true, he might aim to but has already put Massengo wide and playing Pring LW.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige has seen that AW is best utilised as a front player and has said that he likes players to stick to one particular position as with Vyner.

Other managers have used AW and Vyners versatility to play them in various positions which is understandable but is not a path Nige wants go down.

Really? As the likes of Scott and Palmer have switched from 10 to wide players, and Baker is currently LB but a CB?

  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think plenty on here have said he’s not good enough, just runs around a lot, couldn’t understand why he was an auto-pick every game.

At times I felt alone being an avid admirer of AW, his work ethics has always pleased me, a true pro & when he was injured I think he was missed more than many admitted. 

I'm glad many others are now seeing the benefits of having AW around the squad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut feel is that Nige wants one system….but he knows that dependent on who plays and where they play that the team might play that system differently.  Opposition will be a factor too.  Interesting that Andy King said (paraphrased) that the opponent might dictate how much time they spend focusing on them in training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rate Weimann but, to be honest, there's been a recurring pattern with a number of players where they have a run of poor/ineffective games, and half the forum call for them to be dropped - and mock everyone who ever thought the player was good enough for the first team - and then the player has a good run of games and half the forum hail them as our best player - and mock everyone who ever thought the player was not good enough - and then the form drops off and the pendulum swings again, over and over to infinity.

I think Weimann is better and more consistent than, say, Paterson, Palmer, O'Dowda or Hunt but I think there's still a wider need to get Weimann, and so many other players, to perform as they did against Cardiff or Middlesbrough week in, and week out - especially at home.

I think the signs are good - in that Pearson is being consistent in the team selection, formation and tactics so players can be comfortable with what they need to do and who they have around them. But I still hope we're not a month away from the next round of Weimann's form dropping off and half the board deciding he's not good enough again. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Really? As the likes of Scott and Palmer have switched from 10 to wide players, and Baker is currently LB but a CB?

Nige asked Baker if he’d play at LB and was impressed that NB replied in the positive. He didn’t just randomly select him there. As for Scott - what’s his supposed position?  He’s only been in frame a few games…….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige asked Baker if he’d play at LB and was impressed that NB replied in the positive. He didn’t just randomly select him there. As for Scott - what’s his supposed position?  He’s only been in frame a few games…….

You've missed my point. My point was I don't remember Pearson saying he likes players to stick to one position, and if so he's gone back against his word a lot. Another example is Pring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...