IGNORED

Who Were the Bad Apples, if Any???

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s made a few comments recently about Gould in particular but also Pearson, that makes me think he’s very annoyed Ashton shafted him, and that he fell for giving him too much power on the football side.

A tale of 2 egos I think. We know Ashton's can be seen from space but Steve's "it's my club and I'll do what I want" attitude was his downfall in this case imo.

To rein in or sack Ashton would have meant admitting that the fans who pointed out that the emperor had no clothes were right. Not something he would be prepared to do so Ashton was allowed to do more damage while he engineered the Ipswich move.

Steve might not want to listen to fans but I suspect Nigel told him some home truths. Lesson learned I hope.

28 minutes ago, maxjak said:

if it;s not too much trouble.............any chance of hearing the story?  As I am not aware of it?

Allegedly, I heard the story from different people, Pearson noticed that Watkins wasn’t out training….went to get him and found him hiding in one of the rooms.  Basically told him to phone his agent and tell his agent he was finished here.

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

A great story that I sincerely hope is true.  

Can just imagine him hiding in a laundry bin, peeking out every now and then.....

Mind you, has anybody thought that he may have been just hiding from Andy Rolls? Understandable if that's the case :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think the main thing was many of our best players were injured. And those available were not fit enough. Nothing much more than that imo.

@JonDolman

You make it sound such a simple problem but it was much more complicated.

A squad of over forty for a team of eleven. So at least twenty five would not even make the bench each match.

Near a dozen long term injured with many of them possibly feeling so miserable and uninvolved. For young and normally fit athletes, it must be soul destroying to be unable to play for six to twelve months. And that unhappiness will spread to others who are fit but not in the match team.

Then a small number who may have been fit but just did not want to be here! So no team spirit with them. It's bad enough working in an office or factory with a couple who make it so obvious on a daily basis that they want to be somewhere else.

And finally at least a couple of skillful players who don't put everything into training sessions. They think they are above working hard, they can win games on their own without any of the mere mortals in the squad, so why train hard!

Thanks to Pearson and others in various roles who have come to our rescue. It's hard to be successful in any sphere of activity be it sport or any other industry. It only takes one bad apple to rot the whole boxful. We had more than one for a long time!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think the main thing was many of our best players were injured. And those available were not fit enough. Nothing much more than that imo.

You forgot - and some couldn’t be arsed to put in a shift.  The lack of effort of the likes of Diedhiou was there for all to see.  That was bugger all to do with fitness and everything to do with attitude and application.

Players like Nagy dangling legs into challenges or avoiding getting close to have to make a tackle, was nothing to do with fitness (he is Mr Yo-Yo test) and everything to do with attitude and application…and not wanting to get injured before the Euros.  Jeez, Nige even let him and Kalas miss the last game as there was nothing to play for.

Henri Lansbury who I didn’t think was as bad as others thought on OTIB, barely made any proactive runs to create passing angles for his full-backs.  That’s laziness, he coasted through games.

Bad apples come in different forms…..those 3 are better out of our club.  Look at the professionalism of players like Andy King and Matty James.

On 09/09/2021 at 22:01, Davefevs said:

It’s really difficult to know.  At times Nige has talked up most of the players that left in the summer to the media, but i suspect that might’ve been different to what was said in private.

I think he gave everyone a chance….and it doesn’t take more than one or two out on the pitch to drag a whole team down.

But from what he’s said he definitely feels there were some who took the pi$$.  They are no longer here.  Hopefully there aren’t still any left.

...although the team/squad with the supposed bad apples in it came within a late, unfortunate penalty of winning its first five games last season compared to this season's team which has taken 7pts from 5 games.

Surely the unsustainable level of injuries was by far the most important factor in dragging the team down last season.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You forgot - and some couldn’t be arsed to put in a shift.  The lack of effort of the likes of Diedhiou was there for all to see.  That was bugger all to do with fitness and everything to do with attitude and application.

Spot on Dave and under LJ and then Holden they were allowed to get away with under par performances - in fact I wonder if either of them actually noticed……………:dunno:

In comes Nige on a temporary deal and immediately saw just how unfit the players were both physically and mentally and tried to improve both in a short time and did just enough keep City in the Championship.

He’d also seen the lack of leadership on the pitch or to use a technical term “cultural architects”  and once he signs a three year deal in come two players who he knows will provide leadership in King and James and what an influence both are having.

A win today and another midweek and City will be showing what an astute signing Nige was. Well done to SL for recruiting him.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Diedhiou has never been much of a runner. Pearson saying the players were not fit enough really showed more with the likes of Fam who were never naturally the fittest anyway.

Back in 18/19 when Fam seemed more capable of playing 3 games in a week unlike the previous season, and he didn't need to come off on 70 minutes every game, he even then would at times walk around or jog rather than sprint when a defender had the ball. Taking a breather much more than some other forwards would.

Nagy has never been the hardest or physically the strongest, that's just what he is. On his best days like some of those good performances last season under Holden he did what he does well and we won games or got a decent point against Watford. I wouldn't call it lack of effort, as I expect he's the same at Pisa now and was the same at Bologna before.

Andy King looks super fit for his age. If Rolls was still here I am not sure we'd see the same player as we do now.

It seems to me that Rennie been the best signing of the summer.

John, you’re only looking at his without ball play, I don’t expect him to charge around like Weimann for example.

Where Fam really let himself down (like Lansbury) and showed poor professionalism, was when we had the ball…made no runs, didn’t battle for the ball, etc.  There was a game or two where he started attacking headers from the side and it was really good.  Why did he stop doing that?  Because he couldn’t be bothered.

You are giving him a helluva free pass….I thought his levels were disgraceful.

Did you watch Nagy for Hungary in the summer (I know you did)…no leg dangling there was there, committed to the cause!  I don’t expect him to crunch players.  But I do expect commitment, that’s lack of professionalism.  I saw him fly into one challenge (think it was France), he missed the player….I’ve never seen him do that for us.  So what if he had a good game at Watford 6/8 months ago.  It’s the general trend in the last couple of months where his poor professionalism came through.  I’m not say it was truly awful, but very noticeable.

Now, the thing to look at is the motivational factors, and….⬇️⬇️⬇️

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

...although the team/squad with the supposed bad apples in it came within a late, unfortunate penalty of winning its first five games last season compared to this season's team which has taken 7pts from 5 games.

Surely the unsustainable level of injuries was by far the most important factor in dragging the team down last season.

…..Injuries played a massive part in the team that took to the green rectangle, but where did you see professionalism to fight for the cause?  I didn’t see anywhere enough of it.  The youngsters embarrassed some of the more senior players with their performances.  Those senior players were affected by the contract situation, but if some still did their best in that situation, why didn’t others.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A win today and another midweek and City will be showing what an astute signing Nige was. Well done to SL for recruiting him.

I think we know what an astute signing Nige is without the next two games.  Generally if we keep our performance levels up and improve them too, we will win more than we lose.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think we know what an astute signing Nige is without the next two games.  Generally if we keep our performance levels up and improve them too, we will win more than we lose.

I was aiming that comment at the doubters Dave but with hindsight it might well have been too subtle for them….

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Talking of mouldy fruit? ...................So pleased to see how well  Ashton's blossoming career is taking off in Suffolk ........? ?  -  ? ? ? ? ?      

Stop that!You know every time someone posts something like that it just shows the Ipswich fans how jealous we are that he dumped us for them.

Archived