IGNORED

Preston North End at home - match day thread

Good match day thread, but I cannot see how a side can have conceded the second most goals in the division, and yet be labelled the second best defence, regardless of how few shots have come in against them. If they have only had 12 shots against them, but conceded 8 goals, I would argue that they must have the worst keeper in the League, so we must exploit that.

Edited by The Horse With No Name
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Quiz question

Finally, PNE are one of nine football clubs in the Scottish and English senior divisions who have names which include North, South, East or West in their title, who are the other eight?

East Fife

Eastleigh

Southampton

West Ham

South Shields and North Shields (acceptable?)

Northampton

Queen of the South

I really believe we can end our home form jinx and collect 3 points today.  Preston have been our bogey team for a while but hopefully not now that Alex Neil has gone.

We seemed a lot more committed at Cardiff and if we can keep that up, hopefully our )apparently) newly improved fitness levels will see us through.

I'm wondering what the team might look like, but it would be hard to change a winning formula (no one or two may get the chance to impress from the bench).

Any estimates of what the crowd might be today?  I understand that not many Preston fans can be bothered to come down.  Over or under 20k do you think?

57 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Having set a very unwanted club record -12 games at Ashton Gate without a win - with our last home game, we all hope that today we can celebrate a home win for the first time since January.

Our opponents today were a founder member of the Football League in 1888. At first consideration playing PNE (one of our bogey teams), after an International break (when we often look rusty) does not bode well. However, I am reminded of the small print in investments that says ‘past  performance is no guarantee of future results.’ Not just because I always believe but because there are definitely green shoots. Last season City's football was very often dire with few chances created or shots on target. This season we are watching football that sees the creation of efforts on goal, just not always the ability to take them (which fans have been concerned about since the start of the season.) Of course the performance at Cardiff demonstrated what we are capable of. Based on everyone’s performance last time out NP may we’ll stick with the same line up, (although Kalas may be rested given his International schedule), even though sniffer Williams (who played 60 minutes for the under 23s on 1st September), COD and George Tanner are available they are most likely to be on the bench. Kasey Palmer and Nahki Wells (scoring four) here they are:

https://streamja.com/1OKev

https://streamja.com/05eBW

https://streamja.com/V36Aa

https://streamja.com/JL6gl

both performed well for the under 23s recently, against Hull, to remind everyone that they are knocking on the door.

So far PNE have accumulated six points (beating Posh and Swansea) and losing three. On the opening day when we drew with newly promoted Blackpool (who are PNE’s local rivals) they lost 1-4 at home to newly promoted Hull City which would have caused a major meltdown on here if it had happened to us!

With the joint second-best defence in the league, Preston North End have conceded 12 shots on goal but nevertheless have conceded eight goals (four on the opening day), the second-highest in the league. The positive for Frankie McAvoy’s men will be that they have conceded seven of those in the first three defeats, since then they have won two consecutive games and conceded only one goal.

We are IMO fitter and playing with much more energy and commitment under NP, I don’t think he will allow any post-International sluggishness and will see the Cardiff performance as the benchmark to match or better. As he said after that game: ‘we looked more like a team than we have all season so far.’

On-line programme

https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/digital-matchday-programme/

57th minute

I noticed this on Facebook:

First home match since my Dad passed away. City mad my dad. So I wanna make this home match one to remember.

We’ve got a half time match message about him.

But would really really appreciate if you could clap with us all on the 57th minute for my Dad Mark Blackwell.

The clap will start from the Dolman.

Recent history

Having mentioned they are a bogey team here’s the evidence! The last 16 league games have seen the Lilywhites winning nine, with six draws and just one City win (2-0 at home last season.)

The the 2-1 home defeat by Preston in 2016 proved to be Steve  Cotterill’s last match in charge and the 5-0 thrashing at Deepdale in 2017 was one of LJs worst defeats.

Alex Neil was replaced as manager in May this year by Frankie McAvoy, who has been dubbed the ‘accidental manager,’ he’d  worked for the Royal Mail for 19 years prior to a change of career.

They have Connor Wickham training with them (a decision on his future is awaited and he played for their reserves on Tuesday) and on the last day of the window they signed Ali McCann from St Johnstone on a four-year deal and Cardiff City forward Josh Murphy joined on loan until the end of the season. While Barkhuizen and Olosunde are both out of todays match day squad.

Preston trivia

The name Preston means Priest Town.

Why is Preston called North End? Preston North End was founded in 1863, originally as a cricket club, and played their first matches at the Marsh near the River Ribble in the Preston suburb of Ashton. Later that year, they switched to Moor in the north of the town, calling themselves "North End" in recognition of the new location.

The Preston North End stadium in Deepdale is the oldest continuously running football club in the world.

Preston is where the word "teetotal" was born. Joseph Livesey started the Temperance Movement in Preston in 1832. The followers of the movement were required to sign a pledge of total abstinence. The term "teetotal" is derived from a speech made in Preston by Richard Turner, who was a follower of Livesey. It is said Richard Turner had a speech impediment and during his speech urging total abstinence from all alcohol, rather than just the abstinence of spirits, he remarked "they must insist upon tee-tee-tee total abstinence".

Home to Britain's first motorway. The Preston By-pass was Britain's first motorway. It was conceived, promoted, built, and initially operated by its engineer James Drake. The by-pass was opened on 5 December 1958 by the Prime Minister Harold MacMillan. It later became part of the M6 motorway. 

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken In 1965 Ray Allen opened the UK's first Kentucky Fried Chicken store on Fishergate High Street Preston. Ray met Colonel Harland Sanders in 1963, securing the famous American's fast food rights for his secret fried chicken recipe for the UK. The arrival of KFC in the UK came almost a decade before McDonald's, Burger King, and Pizza Hut.

The row of red public telephone boxes along Preston's Market Street is the longest continuous row of the old style kiosks anywhere in the country.

Alan Schofield broke the world record for the longest putt ever at 166ft 8in. This record-breaking putt occurred on 5 August 2000 at Fishwick Hall Golf Club, Preston. It was recognised as an official world record by the Guinness Book of Records. This putt has since been beaten, however, a plaque remains at the spot where the shot was taken. 

Quiz question

Finally, PNE are one of nine football clubs in the Scottish and English senior divisions who have names which include North, South, East or West in their title, who are the other eight?

Don't forget their impressive bus station

IMG_3969.JPG

If you have Southend then Eastleigh are there as well. Does the conference count as Senior?

East stirling don't exist, there is a team called east Stirlingshire but they come up against about 10 other teams with east or West in the name.

I think the question is out of date....

4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Having set a very unwanted club record -12 games at Ashton Gate without a win - with our last home game, we all hope that today we can celebrate a home win for the first time since January.

Our opponents today were a founder member of the Football League in 1888. At first consideration playing PNE (one of our bogey teams), after an International break (when we often look rusty) does not bode well. However, I am reminded of the small print in investments that says ‘past  performance is no guarantee of future results.’ Not just because I always believe but because there are definitely green shoots. Last season City's football was very often dire with few chances created or shots on target. This season we are watching football that sees the creation of efforts on goal, just not always the ability to take them (which fans have been concerned about since the start of the season.) Of course the performance at Cardiff demonstrated what we are capable of. Based on everyone’s performance last time out NP may we’ll stick with the same line up, (although Kalas may be rested given his International schedule), even though sniffer Williams (who played 60 minutes for the under 23s on 1st September), COD and George Tanner are available they are most likely to be on the bench. Kasey Palmer and Nahki Wells (scoring four) here they are:

https://streamja.com/1OKev

https://streamja.com/05eBW

https://streamja.com/V36Aa

https://streamja.com/JL6gl

both performed well for the under 23s recently, against Hull, to remind everyone that they are knocking on the door.

So far PNE have accumulated six points (beating Posh and Swansea) and losing three. On the opening day when we drew with newly promoted Blackpool (who are PNE’s local rivals) they lost 1-4 at home to newly promoted Hull City which would have caused a major meltdown on here if it had happened to us!

With the joint second-best defence in the league, Preston North End have conceded 12 shots on goal but nevertheless have conceded eight goals (four on the opening day), the second-highest in the league. The positive for Frankie McAvoy’s men will be that they have conceded seven of those in the first three defeats, since then they have won two consecutive games and conceded only one goal.

We are IMO fitter and playing with much more energy and commitment under NP, I don’t think he will allow any post-International sluggishness and will see the Cardiff performance as the benchmark to match or better. As he said after that game: ‘we looked more like a team than we have all season so far.’

On-line programme

https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/digital-matchday-programme/

57th minute

I noticed this on Facebook:

First home match since my Dad passed away. City mad my dad. So I wanna make this home match one to remember.

We’ve got a half time match message about him.

But would really really appreciate if you could clap with us all on the 57th minute for my Dad Mark Blackwell.

The clap will start from the Dolman.

Recent history

Having mentioned they are a bogey team here’s the evidence! The last 16 league games have seen the Lilywhites winning nine, with six draws and just one City win (2-0 at home last season.)

The the 2-1 home defeat by Preston in 2016 proved to be Steve  Cotterill’s last match in charge and the 5-0 thrashing at Deepdale in 2017 was one of LJs worst defeats.

Alex Neil was replaced as manager in May this year by Frankie McAvoy, who has been dubbed the ‘accidental manager,’ he’d  worked for the Royal Mail for 19 years prior to a change of career.

They have Connor Wickham training with them (a decision on his future is awaited and he played for their reserves on Tuesday) and on the last day of the window they signed Ali McCann from St Johnstone on a four-year deal and Cardiff City forward Josh Murphy joined on loan until the end of the season. While Barkhuizen and Olosunde are both out of todays match day squad.

Preston trivia

The name Preston means Priest Town.

Why is Preston called North End? Preston North End was founded in 1863, originally as a cricket club, and played their first matches at the Marsh near the River Ribble in the Preston suburb of Ashton. Later that year, they switched to Moor in the north of the town, calling themselves "North End" in recognition of the new location.

The Preston North End stadium in Deepdale is the oldest continuously running football club in the world.

Preston is where the word "teetotal" was born. Joseph Livesey started the Temperance Movement in Preston in 1832. The followers of the movement were required to sign a pledge of total abstinence. The term "teetotal" is derived from a speech made in Preston by Richard Turner, who was a follower of Livesey. It is said Richard Turner had a speech impediment and during his speech urging total abstinence from all alcohol, rather than just the abstinence of spirits, he remarked "they must insist upon tee-tee-tee total abstinence".

Home to Britain's first motorway. The Preston By-pass was Britain's first motorway. It was conceived, promoted, built, and initially operated by its engineer James Drake. The by-pass was opened on 5 December 1958 by the Prime Minister Harold MacMillan. It later became part of the M6 motorway. 

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken In 1965 Ray Allen opened the UK's first Kentucky Fried Chicken store on Fishergate High Street Preston. Ray met Colonel Harland Sanders in 1963, securing the famous American's fast food rights for his secret fried chicken recipe for the UK. The arrival of KFC in the UK came almost a decade before McDonald's, Burger King, and Pizza Hut.

The row of red public telephone boxes along Preston's Market Street is the longest continuous row of the old style kiosks anywhere in the country.

Alan Schofield broke the world record for the longest putt ever at 166ft 8in. This record-breaking putt occurred on 5 August 2000 at Fishwick Hall Golf Club, Preston. It was recognised as an official world record by the Guinness Book of Records. This putt has since been beaten, however, a plaque remains at the spot where the shot was taken. 

Quiz question

I’ll wait for the condensed version!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, kit said:

If you have Southend then Eastleigh are there as well. Does the conference count as Senior?

East stirling don't exist, there is a team called east Stirlingshire but they come up against about 10 other teams with east or West in the name.

I think the question is out of date....

Thanks Kit, I stand corrected and the question is out of date nowadays there are only eight:

Southampton
West Bromwich Albion
West Ham United
Northampton Town
Southend United
Queen of the South
East Fife
Preston North End

5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The Preston North End stadium in Deepdale is the oldest continuously running football club in the world.

That’s strange. I thought that the oldest football club in the world was Notts County and the oldest football ground still in use as a football ground today is Bramall Lane (Sheffield United’s ground)???

Deepdale is "widely recognised as being the oldest 'continuously used' football stadium in the world. But like most coveted historic accolades, it is fiercely contested“ so says Wiki! 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Despite renewing my season card again this season i am still unable to attend due to health issues, if anyone can guide me through how i may be able to view this game via DM i'd be very grateful.

TIA

www.hesgoal.com   It may be on, but will probably only be showing on the list just before KO.

• Like 1