IGNORED

Preston North End at home - match day thread

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't give a **** about Cardiff I've travelled the length and breadth if this island watching City. Out home record is horrific if it wasn't for an incredibly wasteful Preston team that would be another dog shit home performance to chalk of the massive list.

If you're happy with this then fine, I want better. 

We all want better and it will come 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, mozo said:

From the little that my Robins TV connection let me see, we played pretty agricultural football and underperformed across the park.

People talking about whether it's a good result, but performance wise, was it not the first game that we were clearly second best in this season?

Obviously it was the little you saw , we certainly were not second best , especially second half we were good , we were organised and competitive which will get better , decent entertainment for the first time in seasons

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't give a **** about Cardiff I've travelled the length and breadth if this island watching City. Out home record is horrific if it wasn't for an incredibly wasteful Preston team that would be another dog shit home performance to chalk of the massive list.

If you're happy with this then fine, I want better. 

So you really think this group of players are shit? HNM, Atkinson, Kalas, Pring, Scott?  You’ve got to forget last season and concentrate on this. As you’ve travelled far and wide then you’d have seen some poorer city teams throughout the years.

I’m happy that there is some progress from the stuff we were watching last year and arguably the year before that, this is a game we’d have lost. I suspect you weren’t criticising the team a fortnight ago and that was my point.

Be frustrated, but this is a team that is being rebuilt, enjoy watching the ups and downs on that. We’re not Man City so can’t buy success….

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Obviously it was the little you saw , we certainly were not second best , especially second half we were good , we were organised and competitive which will get better , decent entertainment for the first time in seasons

They had the better chances.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Disappointed by the negative line-up today. Loved it as a way to nullify Cardiff away but that’s not a line-up to dominate at home against an average side. 

True & I was surprised Dasilva didn’t start, but if he had & we’d lost we would be drowning in a sea of why change a winning team posts.

We were fortunate at times to get a point but some excellent last ditch defending by Atkinson (my MoM) & Vyner saved us.

Disappointing set piece delivery from James, Baker’s distribution showed why he really isn’t a LB & Martin seemed to be on his own up top too often.

Prefer to win of course but expected a draw beforehand & against cynical, dirty opponents will take that, because we would have lost that game last season.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

So you really think this group of players are shit? HNM, Atkinson, Kalas, Pring, Scott?  You’ve got to forget last season and concentrate on this. As you’ve travelled far and wide then you’d have seen some poorer city teams throughout the years.

I’m happy that there is some progress from the stuff we were watching last year and arguably the year before that, this is a game we’d have lost. I suspect you weren’t criticising the team a fortnight ago and that was my point.

Be frustrated, but this is a team that is being rebuilt, enjoy watching the ups and downs on that. We’re not Man City so can’t buy success….

Yeah they are shit, there's not a single goal in any of the players you've mentioned.

I've paid over a thousand pound for 3 season tickets every year for 11 years and I'm not happy with the crap we're being served up right now.

I'm sure you'll say, just **** off we don't need negative people like me, but my family bleed this club and I'm genuinely sick it. 15 games now without a win at home? Joke. 

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It was a very tough game. Preston were very sharp and strong defensively, very compact. I think Weimann and Martin have been class so far this season but not too much of a problem today for the Preston defence.

I think tactically they were causing us problems. I still feel that Massengo central with Semenyo wide right might give us a bit more mobility in both areas of the pitch. But also Scott already looks so good, I was disappointed not to see him come on last 20.

Wells did well though wide left. Forced some corners and gave us some fresh legs and pace. Pring's legs seem to go after an hour or so.

I actually thought it was an entertaining 0-0. Probably a fair result, maybe they edged it. I thought Swansea game was a better performance but I think Preston are the more difficult team to play against.

Good assessment JD - pretty much as I saw the game.

However…….King looked way of the pace and pretty ineffective and no surprise to see him replaced but Massengo was superb the entire game and without him in midfield PNE would have created more opportunities and City may well have lost the game. He was definitely MoM by some distance.

Not a hugely disappointing result by a long chalk. 

Onwards and upwards to face Luton on Wednesday eve under the lights - always a great atmosphere at a night game.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Yeah they are shit, there's not a single goal in any of the players you've mentioned.

I've paid over a thousand pound for 3 season tickets every year for 11 years and I'm not happy with the crap we're being served up right now.

I'm sure you'll say, just **** off we don't need negative people like me, but my family bleed this club and I'm genuinely sick it. 15 games now without a win at home? Joke. 

But we haven't got the money to buy a new striker because of years of miss management the reason these players are shit as you say they are is because of years of miss management we are caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment 

4 minutes ago, nellie said:

But we haven't got the money to buy a new striker because of years of miss management the reason these players are shit as you say they are is because of years of miss management we are caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment 

We actually don't need a striker we need a quality player who can create chances.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I’m not going to argue with your commitment nor am I going to patronise,  although I think you are overly harsh with your opinion of younger players none of whom are out and out strikers. I genuinely think this home hoodoo will end soon, even as soon as Wed. All poor runs come to an end sometime. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It was a very tough game. Preston were very sharp and strong defensively, very compact. I think Weimann and Martin have been class so far this season but not too much of a problem today for the Preston defence.

I think tactically they were causing us problems. I still feel that Massengo central with Semenyo wide right might give us a bit more mobility in both areas of the pitch. But also Scott already looks so good, I was disappointed not to see him come on last 20.

Wells did well though wide left. Forced some corners and gave us some fresh legs and pace. Pring's legs seem to go after an hour or so.

I actually thought it was an entertaining 0-0. Probably a fair result, maybe they edged it. I thought Swansea game was a better performance but I think Preston are the more difficult team to play against.

Good summary….looks like we watched a pretty similar game from opposite sides of the ground. They caused us some problems with mis-matched shapes, and we did likewise with ours versus theirs.

Probably should’ve ended 1-1 in terms of chances, but I don’t think anyone can say it wasn’t two pretty evenly matched teams.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Decent assessment of the game. You can spot the posters who think longer term and those who literally judge us a Brilliant or Absolute Shite from week to week depending on the result.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Alex Scott is shit? Have a word with yourself if you think that. If disappointment at a result makes you say stuff like that it’s better to say nothing.

• Like 3

Not expecting any of us to be excited by these stats (and apologies if my maths has alluded me anywhere), but maybe hints at progress, as well as highlighting the job to be done?

13 home games without a win:

1st 4: 0 points, 0.25 goals scored per game, 1.75 goals conceded per game

Next 3: 0, 0, 2

Next 3: 1, 1, 2

Most recent 3 (this season): 2, 0.33, 0.67

Not the most statistically robust sample ever, but maybe hints at improved defence, whilst a fair way to go on breaking teams down and scoring at home. Given constraints, I’m happy with solidifying and then hopefully we can work out the other end of the pitch next. Progress is progress after all. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BetterRedThanBlue said:

I like the fact we are arguing that Nige got the tactics wrong. Absolute breath of fresh air after last season.

That’s what people said about Dean Holden after his first interview and then four wins on the trot!

…but what I really wanted to ask was whether anyone can explain/justify the Kalas long throws?   I mean, it’s not as if he has a particularly good throw (I think Vyner is better).  But did no one realise the extent to which they were undermining our performance?